Best .223 for a first owner

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Best .223 for a first owner

Post by bigpete » 22 Nov 2022, 10:01 am

Hell,I don't even want a heavy gun even if I'm shooting from a vehicle.
bigpete
Major
Major

South Australia

Post by Lazarus » 22 Nov 2022, 10:28 am

As OB said pete, horses for courses.
We all have different tastes.
Some people like big fat Harleys that weigh as much as a small moon and handle like a pig on a skateboard, I prefer bikes that go and handle like a bike, not an overloaded ferry.

Vive la difference mate.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 22 Nov 2022, 1:55 pm

Lazarus wrote:As OB said pete, horses for courses.
Some people like big fat Harleys that weigh as much as a small moon and handle like a pig on a skateboard, I prefer bikes that go and handle like a bike, not an overloaded ferry.

Vive la difference mate.

Haha I hear you on that one about the bikes I also prefer bikes that handle like bikes and sound like they go like the Clappers instead of an elongated fart
deye243
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 22 Nov 2022, 2:24 pm

deye243 wrote:
Lazarus wrote:As OB said pete, horses for courses.

Vive la difference mate.

Haha I hear you on that one about the bikes I also prefer bikes that handle like bikes and sound like they go like the Clappers instead of an elongated fart

I recently watched a video comparison, below, of the notes of the Panigale V4S and the Aprilia RSV4 factory.
Needed some quite time alone afterwards :oops:

If you twisted my arm, I could be persuaded on this one though, as a second string, after the Ducati.

I wouldn't mind one as a dedicated dirt bike.

315629971_502295835251951_5542019229342200398_n.jpg
315629971_502295835251951_5542019229342200398_n.jpg (190.92 KiB) Viewed 135 times

https://youtu.be/B1GFKovFofc
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Nov 2022, 2:26 pm

That bike is it 223cc ? :lol: :unknown:
Treat trolls with the contempt they deserve.
Reminder. I am of average intelligence, therefore 50% of people are dumber than me.
Member. NSC, SFFP, Shooters Union.
Oldbloke
General
General

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 22 Nov 2022, 8:44 pm

bigpete wrote:Hell,I don't even want a heavy gun even if I'm shooting from a vehicle.

WEATHERBY VANGUARD VARMINT BLUED SYNTHETIC .223 REM short barrel .
The reason I go this over a Howa is that Howa have screwed up the .223 with the mini action . Not allowing any room to seat out projectiles . A slightly heavier barrel is good for shooting from a vehicle it steadies the hold , reduces barrel heating and lessens recoil . Hinged floor plate model never has magazine issues and you can usually extend the length of it to accommodate longer overall cartridges .
JohnV
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 Nov 2022, 8:48 pm

JohnV wrote:
bigpete wrote:Hell,I don't even want a heavy gun even if I'm shooting from a vehicle.

The reason I go this over a Howa is that Howa have screwed up the .223 with the mini action . Not allowing any room to seat out projectiles . A slightly heavier barrel is good for shooting from a vehicle it steadies the hold , reduces barrel heating and lessens recoil . Hinged floor plate model never has magazine issues and you can usually extend the length of it to accommodate longer overall cartridges .

I agree about the mini-action but they do still offer .223 in the short-action don't they?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Troyus » 22 Nov 2022, 10:51 pm

As to the OP the Lithgow is a great, Aussie made gun. The howas are good bang for buck but that doesn’t make them better than a Lithgow or other great guns. Know however that the Lithgow is on the heavier side of things.
Troyus
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 23 Nov 2022, 6:08 am

JohnV wrote:

I've done PLENTY of shooting from a vehicle,and stand by my choice. My weatherby vanguard 22-250 standard weight barrel is plenty heavy enough,especially when it has a torch mounted to it.
bigpete
Major
Major

South Australia

Post by JohnV » 29 Nov 2022, 6:18 pm

bigpete wrote:
JohnV wrote:

I've done PLENTY of shooting from a vehicle,and stand by my choice. My weatherby vanguard 22-250 standard weight barrel is plenty heavy enough,especially when it has a torch mounted to it.

I never said it was required I just said a heavier barrel is ok for shooting out of a vehicle and your not carrying it about either .
JohnV
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles