Range Rifle (centrefire)

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Range Rifle (centrefire)

Post by Cape_Yorkee » 10 May 2024, 5:07 pm

Hi all, been keeping an eye on this forum for sometime. Some great info on here. I am relatively new to the firearms world but have bee using them for a few years now in my field of work. Predominantly Marlin 30-30's and smaller 22's both LR and WMR.

I am looking to potentially get into target shooting and have a family friend that has been a member of a rifle range club for several decades. I am though unsure what kind of firearm/s that I'd need to possibly purchase to get into this sport! I had a chat with a staff member from a Gun store close to me and he suggested heavy barrelled options such as 223 and 308's were the staple models to look at. I have my eye on a Ruger m77 mk2 in 223 (varmint) that is in VGC though unsure if a 223 would be a good allround choice?

Any info appreciated

Cheers
Cape_Yorkee
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Range Rifle (centrefire)

Post by bladeracer » 11 May 2024, 1:01 pm

Cape_Yorkee wrote:Hi all, been keeping an eye on this forum for sometime. Some great info on here. I am relatively new to the firearms world but have bee using them for a few years now in my field of work. Predominantly Marlin 30-30's and smaller 22's both LR and WMR.

I am looking to potentially get into target shooting and have a family friend that has been a member of a rifle range club for several decades. I am though unsure what kind of firearm/s that I'd need to possibly purchase to get into this sport! I had a chat with a staff member from a Gun store close to me and he suggested heavy barrelled options such as 223 and 308's were the staple models to look at. I have my eye on a Ruger m77 mk2 in 223 (varmint) that is in VGC though unsure if a 223 would be a good allround choice?

Any info appreciated

Cheers

It will depend primarily on what sort of target shooting you want to use it for. PRS is longer-range shooting at steel mainly, but there is also 20m Benchrest Rimfire shooting.

I would agree that a heavier barrel would be better for prolonged shooting at clubs.

I would start by accompanying your family member to his club to see what he's doing and talk to other people doing the same thing. The club would very likely be able to put you onto secondhand equipment as well.

I would also suggest you get into reloading your own ammo.

It sounds like your shooting up to now has been more practical, I'm guessing pest destruction? In which case you might enjoy lever-action metallic Silhouette, far more enjoyable than sitting at a bench.

As for chamberings, .223 is rarely a poor choice for somebody starting out. The ammo is on the cheaper side which allows you do a whole lot more practicing for your dollars. The cheapest is probably the bulk ADI ammo cans at around $1.40 per round. When you start loading your own you can reduce the cost very significantly.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 May 2024, 3:41 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Cape_Yorkee wrote:Hi all, been keeping an eye on this forum for sometime. Some great info on here. I am relatively new to the firearms world but have bee using them for a few years now in my field of work. Predominantly Marlin 30-30's and smaller 22's both LR and WMR.

Any info appreciated

Cheers

It will depend primarily on what sort of target shooting you want to use it for. PRS is longer-range shooting at steel mainly, but there is also 20m Benchrest Rimfire shooting.

I would agree that a heavier barrel would be better for prolonged shooting at clubs.

I would start by accompanying your family member to his club to see what he's doing and talk to other people doing the same thing. The club would very likely be able to put you onto secondhand equipment as well.

I would also suggest you get into reloading your own ammo.

It sounds like your shooting up to now has been more practical, I'm guessing pest destruction? In which case you might enjoy lever-action metallic Silhouette, far more enjoyable than sitting at a bench.

As for chamberings, .223 is rarely a poor choice for somebody starting out. The ammo is on the cheaper side which allows you do a whole lot more practicing for your dollars. The cheapest is probably the bulk ADI ammo cans at around $1.40 per round. When you start loading your own you can reduce the cost very significantly.

Target isn't my thing but I think blade has covered it pretty well. Down side of 223 is pretty sure it will be more wind effected than the 308. But yes, heaps cheaper to feed.

YES, get into reloading. ASAP.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 May 2024, 4:54 pm

The Ruger 77 MkII VT in 223 is 1:12 and may not run the heavier pills you will need for over 600m, my Howa Varmint will run 62g well, and 69g only fair to 600 but not well beyond that. Perhaps look for a rifle with 1:8 twist. For a cheap, competitive at club level 308 rifle, there are still many Omark 44's around in good condition, whilst outdated now at top level they are still a great choice for entry level and can be found for less than $500, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Cape_Yorkee » 11 May 2024, 9:01 pm

Appreciate the advice guys.

Blade - I'll certainly accompany our family friend to a shoot and see what they recommend. Thought I'd get in first and try and nut some ideas out. Yes, pest destruction has been part of my field at work. I definitely enjoy lever actions as they have that certain feel about them.

I definitely see the sense in re-loading, it's a bit of a no brainer really. I'll get the feel for everything first, maybe build up a bit of a mini-stockpile of factory loads first and go from there.

Also thanks for the suggestion on the Omark 44's, I'd not heard of these at all. I'll give them a look see. 308 may be a better caliber to cover all distances and the factory ammo I can see isn't toooo much dearer than 223.

Cheers
Cape_Yorkee
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 11 May 2024, 9:41 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Target isn't my thing but I think blade has covered it pretty well. Down side of 223 is pretty sure it will be more wind effected than the 308. But yes, heaps cheaper to feed.

Nope not realy the 308 168MK has the virtually the same ballistics as the 224 75ELDM at the same speed
168bc .462
75bc .467
Half the powder and 1/4 the recoil .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 11 May 2024, 10:04 pm

Try before you buy. Getting anything other than a competitive solution is simply a waste of time and money.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 12 May 2024, 12:19 am

And keep one eye open for good used reloading gear. A decent press and beam balance and your half way there. Often pop up cheap in good used condition.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 May 2024, 12:21 am

deye243 wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

Nope not realy the 308 168MK has the virtually the same ballistics as the 224 75ELDM at the same speed
168bc .462
75bc .467

Hang on,,,,are you correcting me again? :P
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 12 May 2024, 3:25 am

Oldbloke wrote:
deye243 wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

168bc .462
75bc .467

Hang on,,,,are you correcting me again? :P

Nope
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Larry » 12 May 2024, 8:36 am

Yep I first bought a Remington 700 and started using it for F class. I quickly relieased I was playing from behind the 8 ball. First was to get a target scope. Then mod the stock so I could use a target bipod. I should have also done a bag rider at the rear but didnt. New bag for the rear a proper Bigfoot bag and the a donut bag for under that bag and then some home made boards to place the bipod on. Then the trigger got upgraded to a quality unit and then the barrel. The gun was still no where competitive and would now score in the 57-58 range consistently. Then it was time to replace the stock or at least modify it and repair it as good as it could be. After the sevreal years of working out all the issues there was really only one solution purchase a new custom made rifle. Not an off the shelf rifle but like the above procedure but only with the proper and accepted and tested parts. Then I was shooting possibles left right and centre literally. One comp I went to of 3 ranges I scored a 174 with my missing shot a super centre on the target next to me. damn.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Return to Centerfire rifles