Who Owns A Quarterbore ?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Who Owns A Quarterbore ?

Post by bigpete » 08 Jul 2024, 3:02 pm

If and when I can afford to,I'll be getting a 257 wby mickb.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by madang55 » 26 Jul 2024, 9:49 pm

Didn't see it mentioned, but Nathan at Terminal Ballistics in New Zealand is one of the best sources of info on anything shooting I have ever come across.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 27 Jul 2024, 4:42 am

madang55 wrote:Didn't see it mentioned, but Nathan at Terminal Ballistics in New Zealand is one of the best sources of info on anything shooting I have ever come across.

agreed :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 27 Jul 2024, 11:36 am

madang55 wrote:Didn't see it mentioned, but Nathan at Terminal Ballistics in New Zealand is one of the best sources of info on anything shooting I have ever come across.

I had a look on there and there was no info i could find in regards to my parameters
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 27 Jul 2024, 1:45 pm

bigpete wrote:

I had a look on there and there was no info i could find in regards to my parameters

Did you check out the “knowledge base “ section Pete ? Lots of useful info on in the field performance on lots of different calibers. I use it as a reference with projectile and powder selection.
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 27 Jul 2024, 2:50 pm

Pretty sure I did
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by madang55 » 28 Jul 2024, 7:38 am

Knowledge base
Cartridge research
25-06 is the 3rd one down
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 28 Jul 2024, 7:45 am

madang55 wrote:Knowledge base
Cartridge research
25-06 is the 3rd one down

But nothing on 257 wby, which is what I really want to know about. And if memory serves,nothing about 87gn pills
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jul 2024, 7:55 am

Yes there is.

Screenshot_20240728-075422_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240728-075422_Samsung Internet.jpg (261.32 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
A bit more bang is better.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 01 Aug 2024, 7:54 pm

bigpete wrote:

Ive never been impressed with him, sorry to play devils advocate. I saw all the subsonic data on 357 and to me it looked as if he was talking as if first hand experience on the 357 XTP's. however he has them expanding at the same book velocities as XTP has them doing. Nope Hornadies figures are totally gooned up as anyone who plays with subsonics know( hornady data has xtp's expanding about 200-300fps slower than they really do,). I quizzed him on this by email and he backtracked on it. So I wondered how much of his data is stuff he has just read not actually put into practice...he has reams and reams of bullet combo/calibre opinions...
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 02 Aug 2024, 4:18 am

mickb wrote:
bigpete wrote:

Ive never been impressed with him, sorry to play devils advocate. I saw all the subsonic data on 357 and to me it looked as if he was talking as if first hand experience on the 357 XTP's. however he has them expanding at the same book velocities as XTP has them doing. Nope Hornadies figures are totally gooned up as anyone who plays with subsonics know( hornady data has xtp's expanding about 200-300fps slower than they really do,). I quizzed him on this by email and he backtracked on it. So I wondered how much of his data is stuff he has just read not actually put into practice...he has reams and reams of bullet combo/calibre opinions...

yeah,i take opinions, especially on the internet, with a grain of salt ;) i've used his knowledge base as a guide with powder bullet combo's , and found him to be spot on with assessments on hunting cartridges i've used . especially with regards to performance on game . with regards to 180gn 357 xtp's , their dynamite on game under 40kg out of a 358win :D . has the same effects on smallish pigs as a 22mag hp on a rabbit :P
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 02 Aug 2024, 10:41 am

Oldbloke wrote:Yes there is.

Screenshot_20240728-075422_Samsung Internet.jpg

Cheers. I had a proper look and found the page. Still didn't really answer my questions but oh well
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 03 Aug 2024, 8:18 am

bigrich wrote:
mickb wrote:
bigpete wrote:

yeah,i take opinions, especially on the internet, with a grain of salt ;) i've used his knowledge base as a guide with powder bullet combo's , and found him to be spot on with assessments on hunting cartridges i've used . especially with regards to performance on game . with regards to 180gn 357 xtp's , their dynamite on game under 40kg out of a 358win :D . has the same effects on smallish pigs as a 22mag hp on a rabbit :P

The way he writes seems as if he wants the info to sound be his personal experience. I'd say he has a lot of personal experience, but he got caught out with pistol projectile subsonics and so with such comprehensive stories, I wonder how many are his. Since pulling him up on subsonics he took out the comments mirroriing hornadies optimistic figures and added this to both 357 and 44mag....

"Although I have witnessed various jacketed handgun projectiles produce expansion down to velocities as low as (and sometimes below) 900fps, wounding is generally very poor. Further to this, some projectiles simply will not expand at these speeds, regardless of manufacturers claims. For the purpose of humane killing, I would urge hunters to at the very least try to keep impact velocities above 1200fps and ideally above 1300fps"

So did my corrections suddenly became his experiences.... :roll:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 03 Aug 2024, 12:29 pm

mickb wrote:
The way he writes seems as if he wants the info to sound be his personal experience. I'd say he has a lot of personal experience, but he got caught out with pistol projectile subsonics and so with such comprehensive stories, I wonder how many are his. Since pulling him up on subsonics he took out the comments mirroriing hornadies optimistic figures and added this to both 357 and 44mag....

"Although I have witnessed various jacketed handgun projectiles produce expansion down to velocities as low as (and sometimes below) 900fps, wounding is generally very poor. Further to this, some projectiles simply will not expand at these speeds, regardless of manufacturers claims. For the purpose of humane killing, I would urge hunters to at the very least try to keep impact velocities above 1200fps and ideally above 1300fps"

or did your experiences become his corrections ......... ;) . sorry , i'm in a very "zen" mood :D

i've found the bulk of his views and info helpful , but he wouldn't be the first "gun journo" or internet cowboy who's a bit egotistical ;) take everything on the internet with a pinch of salt . except me , i'm a good bloke . just ask me , i'll tell ya ...... :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 04 Aug 2024, 4:41 pm

Is a quarter bore a 6 or a 6.5 mm ?
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 04 Aug 2024, 4:50 pm

Neither
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 04 Aug 2024, 6:52 pm

bigrich wrote:
mickb wrote:

or did your experiences become his corrections ......... ;) . sorry , i'm in a very "zen" mood :D

i've found the bulk of his views and info helpful , but he wouldn't be the first "gun journo" or internet cowboy who's a bit egotistical ;) take everything on the internet with a pinch of salt . except me , i'm a good bloke . just ask me , i'll tell ya ...... :lol:

His issues seem to be to be at the extreme ends, eg very slow or very big cals/game and he is pulling more guesswork

eg Comments on 338 lapua for hunting

"Below 2600fps, the .338 bore loses the ability to create hydrostatic shock and can produce slow kills on both light and heavy game"

:wtf:

I think someone running a 340 wby or 338 win mag on pigs or deer needs to email in and 'correct some more experiences' for him :lol:
Last edited by mickb on 04 Aug 2024, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 04 Aug 2024, 7:00 pm

Blr243 wrote:Is a quarter bore a 6 or a 6.5 mm ?

.250" bore with .257" groove diameter so just slightly smaller than 6.5mm (bore diameter - .264" groove diameter).
I've never owned any .25's but I'm looking a .25-.303 SMLE tomorrow.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 04 Aug 2024, 7:36 pm

bladeracer wrote:

.250" bore with .257" groove diameter so just slightly smaller than 6.5mm (bore diameter - .264" groove diameter).
I've never owned any .25's but I'm looking a .25-.303 SMLE tomorrow.

25-303 seems to be undergoing a resurgence in recent years . not only here , but the US and the UK seem to have interest in it from what i've seen on forums recently. well balanced round :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 04 Aug 2024, 8:08 pm

mickb wrote:
bigrich wrote:
mickb wrote:

His issues seem to be to be at the extreme ends, eg very slow or very big cals/game and he is pulling more guesswork

eg Comments on 338 lapua for hunting

"Below 2600fps, the .338 bore loses the ability to create hydrostatic shock and can produce slow kills on both light and heavy game"

:wtf:

I think someone running a 340 wby or 338 win mag on pigs or deer needs to email in and 'correct some more experiences' for him :lol:

who the hell would use either of those cals on pigs and deer :wtf: i suppose if you want to, but expensive . in general 340wby and 338win mag run stout bullets for heavy game and wouldn't work that well at all on lighter game , not enough resistance for projectile expansion .nice clean pin holes unless you get a solid shoulder shot on bone .as far as medium bore's go i found 9.3x62 to be unreliable in performance when i tried using that as a "all rounder" on lighter game . 270 speers work OK cause their pretty soft ,and cheap when i was using them a few years ago. 250 nosler bt's pin holed in lighter game, but on donkeys and wild horses on up it flattened everything with 286rn or 250 barnes driven fast . 358 bore is a better choice as the yanks make lots of soft/lighter bullets suitable for lighter game and stouter ones for elk and brown bear . 358win has much better real world performance than it seems on paper, and the 35 whelen i expect would be better again .everything i found to be true coincided with foster's assessment of these cals . the correct bullet/caliber for the job. which is what foster basically says in a lot of his writings . i use his knowledge base as a "guide", and don't take it for gospel , but i've found him to be correct on a lot of things in my experiences :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by mickb » 04 Aug 2024, 9:46 pm

Fair points mate .it was the standalone comment that 2600fps( and thats impact btw, not starting!) in 338 loses the ability to create hydrostatic shock is what got me, its just not correct. As to 338 and 340wby he was the one talking the 338 cals on light game. Your post made good sense btw, :thumbsup:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by deye243 » 04 Aug 2024, 10:52 pm

Well having a 2506 and a 260r and after several years and hundreds of kills on both I would say the 25 is closer to the 6mm on terminal performance.
Just my observations but both are to hard even with vmax pills for flat country with stock and small critters like hairs and fox's as the pill is leaving way before it has dumped its energy and either blown or expanded , for safety sake a 6mm is way better and my 2506 with a 75 vmax is cruising along at 3800fps.
Now all my 243s with a 65g vmax were outstanding performing setups in flat country with 65g vmax at 3820fps with great paddock pizza ability compared to the 2506 and as for the 260 with 95g vmax forget it they are too hard at around 3300fps .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 05 Aug 2024, 4:03 am

mickb wrote:Fair points mate .it was the standalone comment that 2600fps( and thats impact btw, not starting!) in 338 loses the ability to create hydrostatic shock is what got me, its just not correct. As to 338 and 340wby he was the one talking the 338 cals on light game. Your post made good sense btw, :thumbsup:

Thanks mate. It’s not too often people tell me I make sense. lol. From what I’ve read of Mr foster, including his biography on his personal life, he comes across as a bit egotistical at times. But in my personal experience he’s been on the money with calibres I’ve used in the field. Take everything with a grain of salt unless you have personal experience I reckon.
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 Aug 2024, 4:19 am

deye243 wrote:

Well having a 2506 and a 260r and after several years and hundreds of kills on both I would say the 25 is closer to the 6mm on terminal performance.
Just my observations but both are to hard even with vmax pills for flat country with stock and small critters like hairs and fox's as the pill is leaving way before it has dumped its energy and either blown or expanded , for safety sake a 6mm is way better and my 2506 with a 75 vmax is cruising along at 3800fps.
Now all my 243s with a 65g vmax were outstanding performing setups in flat country with 65g vmax at 3820fps with great paddock pizza ability compared to the 2506 and as for the 260 with 95g vmax forget it they are too hard at around 3300fps .

Interesting and valuable information mate. I’ve yet to use my 250 savage on anything, but my initial expectation is it’s about the same as a 243, but better cause it’s an old school quarter bore :lol: . I’ve loaded 6.5 Swede every which way, and yeah, good ballistics, but it’s a bit light on energy transfer at times with pigs, and too big for varmiting. I’ve heard of people going out with big expectations of 6.5CM, and being disappointed with game performance in a lot of situations. 140’s are ballistically great but over penetrate without enough energy transfer in my opinion. People tend to fall for gun rag hype. I intend using my 250 savage for the same uses as a 243. heavy varmiter when opurtunity presents , pigs goats and anything under about 50kg with a 85gn pill. 100gn up to around 60kg pigs as a safe limit . of coarse bigger animals are possible with good shot placement , but that doesn't happen as often as i'd like ;) I would’ve thought 25-06 a better performer at distance than what you’ve alluded to .how does the 75 vmax perform in 25 cal ? Sounds like the old 22-250 with a 55vmax is still king of the hill as far as varmiting goes. sounds like your 243 is great for your uses, but i think a bit to much bark and powder use for me :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 05 Aug 2024, 11:48 am

The 25/06 is more of a good thing compared to the .243. I own both and have extensive experience with both using a wide range of bullets.

While the 75gr in 25/06 and 65gr in .243 work similarly, the slightly bigger bore works better.
Never used a 6.5 as I don't need one
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles