Iosso bore cleaner opinions

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Iosso bore cleaner opinions

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Aug 2024, 12:38 pm

I use AR2208 exclusively in my rifles. Its hard work cleaning them. Carby cleaner seems best for carbon.
But just wondering if anyone uses this stuff. Comments on Web says it's very good.

Screenshot_20240812-230240_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240812-230240_Samsung Internet.jpg (217.75 KiB) Viewed 12015 times

Not looking for suggestion. Just this cleaner.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
A bit more bang is better.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Iosso bore cleaner opinions

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Aug 2024, 1:37 pm

Looks like it's got great reviews on the interwebs, you can't go wrong.
I find it interesting that you find 2208 leaves your barrels difficult to clean.
I have one rifle that only burns 2208 and haven't noticed that it's any dirtier than the others.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 17 Aug 2024, 2:47 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I use AR2208 exclusively in my rifles. Its hard work cleaning them. Carby cleaner seems best for carbon.
But just wondering if anyone uses this stuff. Comments on Web says it's very good.

Screenshot_20240812-230240_Samsung Internet.jpg

Not looking for suggestion. Just this cleaner.

I use AR2206H and I've had no issue cleaning the bores. I stand the rifle muzzle down, then spray solvent down into the chamber until it starts to run out the muzzle, then I let it sit for about ten minutes, then I push patches through until they come out clean. Occasionally I might need perhaps as many as ten patches (especially in .22's) but it would be unusual to need more than seven. I push a patch through, then turn it over and push the clean side through again. If I get through four or five patches and they're still filthy I might push a nylon brush through a half dozen times. If I've put 2000-plus rounds through a .22 I'll usually wrap a patch around a nylon brush, spray with solvent, put it into the chamber and rotate it to remove any stubborn crud from there before I spray the solvent through the bore.

Thanks for the reminder though, my can of solvent was getting low last time, have to order some.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 17 Aug 2024, 7:53 pm

I use the other bore paste "J-B" not for any real reason other than the recommendations I got from other shooters at the time. I think it is a bit less abrasive than the Iosso. Great stuff for when you really want to get your gun clean back to a "Standard condition"
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Aug 2024, 9:50 pm

Larry wrote:I use the other bore paste "J-B" not for any real reason other than the recommendations I got from other shooters at the time. I think it is a bit less abrasive than the Iosso. Great stuff for when you really want to get your gun clean back to a "Standard condition"

Thx Larry, just couldn't recall the name of that stuff.
Will consider it

Isn't there some automotive abrasive cleaner some use?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 18 Aug 2024, 7:49 am

Re the Automotive cleaner the only one I use is Brake and Carby cleaner never heard of a abrasive cleaner The Nulon foaming air intake cleaner is great . I expect a cut and polish paste would work but it would leave wax, oils and other stuff behind and not give you a clean to the bone barrel
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Mr.x » 18 Aug 2024, 9:41 pm

I have seen that cleaner getting about it seems quiet popular in the states, I have also thought about some of the heavy duty automotive sprays they use for intake manifolds to remove carbon build up, might try it out on a older .22 first, cant imagine it doing any damage really.

Cheers
Mr.x
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Aug 2024, 3:25 pm

Mr.x wrote:I have seen that cleaner getting about it seems quiet popular in the states, I have also thought about some of the heavy duty automotive sprays they use for intake manifolds to remove carbon build up, might try it out on a older .22 first, cant imagine it doing any damage really.

Cheers

Solvents can't harm a barrel.
But this stuff is abrasive, so I'm a bit hesitant.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 19 Aug 2024, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wapiti » 19 Aug 2024, 7:18 pm

I've seen a fair bit of stuff on US YouTube channels going on about hard carbon in barrels, and after not too many rounds fired either, which is a bit suspicious I reckon. And all manner of ways and products you HAVE to buy or you are doomed.
When we had to change by necessity ages ago to have to shoot commercial quantities of ammo in culling operations as opposed to occasionally when hunting only, I worried about this evil "carbon ring" ahead of the chamber that ruins accuracy etc, and the rifles we used that are very difficult in Aus to get bits for if you wreck them.
A year or so ago I got sucked in and HAD to buy a borescope to check this wasn't happening, and it wasn't.
Even after 100's or rounds fired without any cleaning, using AR2206H and AR2208 interchangeably, depending on what's the problem, I haven't seen any evidence of carbon at all.
The ONLY place carbon is a problem is with DI rifles, filling the action/chamber with crap pretty quickly and causing trouble, and when we changed to piston PWS guns, it's now in the adjustable gas systems and blasts off through a vent, but can jam up in the setting you have them in if you leave it over say, 200 rounds.
Maybe I'm missing something? But with the borescope, there's no sign of carbon buildup. And the only cleaning product I will use is Hoppes, or Hoppes Black, a nylon brush and a jag.
Wapiti
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Aug 2024, 9:52 pm

Larry wrote:I use the other bore paste "J-B" not for any real reason other than the recommendations I got from other shooters at the time. I think it is a bit less abrasive than the Iosso. Great stuff for when you really want to get your gun clean back to a "Standard condition"

If you read the SDS for that stuff it has garnet as an abrasive. More abrasive than sand/quartz.

I won't be using that.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 20 Aug 2024, 12:13 am

Oldbloke wrote:

If you read the SDS for that stuff it has garnet as an abrasive. More abrasive than sand/quartz.

I won't be using that.

Why not ...... it's good enough for the world's best shooters .
I've been using it for 15 years and have never stuffed a barrel because of it , if you have a good barrel cleaning routine you would only need to if you get stubborn carbon problems and yes it does happen .
I never use it for copper there is no need.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Aug 2024, 7:13 am

deye243 wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

I won't be using that.

Why not ...... it's good enough for the world's best shooters .
I've been using it for 15 years and have never stuffed a barrel because of it , if you have a good barrel cleaning routine you would only need to if you get stubborn carbon problems and yes it does happen .
I never use it for copper there is no need.

Then it must be extremely fine?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 20 Aug 2024, 7:23 am

It is fine if you rub it between your fingers you wont feel any grit. I use a borescope in my barrel cleaning routine so I am careful to do just enough but also make sure that I remove everything in my comp gun including copper streaks they are not really copper buildups just a left behind streak of colour.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by mchughcb » 20 Aug 2024, 9:12 am

Wapiti wrote:I've seen a fair bit of stuff on US YouTube channels going on about hard carbon in barrels, and after not too many rounds fired either, which is a bit suspicious I reckon. And all manner of ways and products you HAVE to buy or you are doomed.
When we had to change by necessity ages ago to have to shoot commercial quantities of ammo in culling operations as opposed to occasionally when hunting only, I worried about this evil "carbon ring" ahead of the chamber that ruins accuracy etc, and the rifles we used that are very difficult in Aus to get bits for if you wreck them.
A year or so ago I got sucked in and HAD to buy a borescope to check this wasn't happening, and it wasn't.
Even after 100's or rounds fired without any cleaning, using AR2206H and AR2208 interchangeably, depending on what's the problem, I haven't seen any evidence of carbon at all.
The ONLY place carbon is a problem is with DI rifles, filling the action/chamber with crap pretty quickly and causing trouble, and when we changed to piston PWS guns, it's now in the adjustable gas systems and blasts off through a vent, but can jam up in the setting you have them in if you leave it over say, 200 rounds.
Maybe I'm missing something? But with the borescope, there's no sign of carbon buildup. And the only cleaning product I will use is Hoppes, or Hoppes Black, a nylon brush and a jag.

There's powder residue which is carbon and can be easily cleaned out, then there's copper streaks, then there's the black carbon in the rifling then there's the shiny steel of your barrel. When you get the baked on carbon off you won't feel the resistance on the cleaning rod as you push through. I'm not sure it makes any difference to the accuracy of hunting rifles unless it's ridiculously excessive.
mchughcb
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles