Taipan X

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Taipan X

Post by Shootermick » 01 Nov 2023, 4:59 pm

I’m wondering about the new Taipan X.
Spring assisted pump and straight pull. My question is, would it be possible to remove the pump slide from outside the hand guard, and just use it as a straight pull. Poor man’s Warwick I know, but then you could rest the forend on a bag, ute window etc and still cycle the action with the straight pull.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Taipan X

Post by womble » 01 Nov 2023, 5:18 pm

Don’t own one but doubtful. If the foregrip was removed the action bar or bars ? Would be free floating.
And the spring would go boing.
But you could maybe remove spring and action bars but then how does the bolt sit in the reciever. If it affects that or not :unknown:
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 03 Nov 2023, 6:46 pm

womble wrote:Don’t own one but doubtful. If the foregrip was removed the action bar or bars ? Would be free floating.
And the spring would go boing.
But you could maybe remove spring and action bars but then how does the bolt sit in the reciever. If it affects that or not :unknown:

Well it sounded like a good idea to me, but I believe you’re most probably right Womble. I’m sure the slide screws do more to hold and centre the spring release, as well as attach the slide.
Still wish someone would rip out the allen keys and do the experiment for me though.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 02 Dec 2023, 5:40 pm

Not sure which one exactly....but.....there are repeat offenders....these things are repeatedly getting jammed at the range. See a group gathering with an RO in the middle, and yep, again, one of those pump action .223 jammed again. With no apparent fix other than back to the shop. Don't know why, but I've seen several
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by stihl88 » 03 Dec 2023, 10:45 am

Save up a bit more and get an Oceania Precision SP-15(1st) or the Warwick (2nd).
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by d4n73n » 18 Aug 2024, 4:19 pm

Does anyone here have experience using the stock adapter? I can't get over how ugly the factory stock is and I want to replace it with either a Magpul MOE or CTR stock. I've also thought about replacing the factory grip and forend
https://diggertactical.com.au/products/ ... ck-adapter
https://foxoperator.com.au/collections/ ... ccessories
d4n73n
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by alexjones » 19 Aug 2024, 12:52 am

The reason the stock is so ugly is to make it legal in NSW. They have appearance laws and can't have collapsable stocks.
alexjones
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wapiti » 19 Aug 2024, 6:00 am

Pumps, straight-pulls and autoloaders don't have the primary extraction of a bolt gun, with the long bolt handle making up for unsuitable ammo, mostly always handloads not sized properly. Auto loaders have way more extraction force than pumps or straight pulls, with the latters being quite weak in this area. There isn't a maker that has a solution. Stick to normal spec ammo, factory or FLS/shoulder bumped back (most importantly) and she's apples.

You'll always have to break your point of aim with a pump gun when shooting off a rest because you have to lift the rifle to cycle it, and find your POA again, like ute or SxS shooting. Where they really shine over straight pulls is when hunting on your feet, both hands stay on the firearm and with practice you can keep looking downrange whilst reloading. You can't do that with a straight pull, people will say they can but nowhere near the same.
Off a rest, a straight pull doesn't have to be lifted to reload, but indeed it will require one hand leaving the grip on the rifle (hopefully the design allows you to keep your trigger hand on the grip), and this movement will mean you need to re-acquire your target. Just the way it is.

We have used both when having to control animals in a primary production sense, and really, both have their good/bad points.
Wapiti
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wapiti » 19 Aug 2024, 6:16 am

d4n73n wrote:Does anyone here have experience using the stock adapter? I can't get over how ugly the factory stock is and I want to replace it with either a Magpul MOE or CTR stock. I've also thought about replacing the factory grip and forend

The company is trying to do their best and keep the firearm legal in all states, the market in Aus is very small really, getting smaller fast, and I can sympathise with any company trying to minimise the variations, styles and colours (if that matters to some) to be competitive.
What's ugly anyway? Form is function, these rifles are a tool after all, not designed to be a thing of beauty. Although, watching their videos online, they have done their best to try and satisfy so many different views from the public shooter.

We went into the big smoke the other day to a large gun shop, and the owner we know, also a cattleman, told me about how many potential customers were complaining that it didn't look enough like an AR15/M4.

With our PWS primary production rifles, we have replaced the butt stocks with Magpul ones that ensure your eye is perfectly inline with the centre of the LPVO 1-8x scopes to make shooting quick and instinctive. My wife and I are built differently, so our culling rifles are set up differently.
In this style of rifle, as in the new Taipan too, it's in the butt end... cheek height, length of pull, and grip shape to suit your hand size, and it seems that you can do that all with the stock adapter?
Wapiti
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by d4n73n » 20 Aug 2024, 11:23 pm

Wapiti wrote:
d4n73n wrote:Does anyone here have experience using the stock adapter? I can't get over how ugly the factory stock is and I want to replace it with either a Magpul MOE or CTR stock. I've also thought about replacing the factory grip and forend

The company is trying to do their best and keep the firearm legal in all states, the market in Aus is very small really, getting smaller fast, and I can sympathise with any company trying to minimise the variations, styles and colours (if that matters to some) to be competitive.
What's ugly anyway? Form is function, these rifles are a tool after all, not designed to be a thing of beauty. Although, watching their videos online, they have done their best to try and satisfy so many different views from the public shooter.

We went into the big smoke the other day to a large gun shop, and the owner we know, also a cattleman, told me about how many potential customers were complaining that it didn't look enough like an AR15/M4.

With our PWS primary production rifles, we have replaced the butt stocks with Magpul ones that ensure your eye is perfectly inline with the centre of the LPVO 1-8x scopes to make shooting quick and instinctive. My wife and I are built differently, so our culling rifles are set up differently.
In this style of rifle, as in the new Taipan too, it's in the butt end... cheek height, length of pull, and grip shape to suit your hand size, and it seems that you can do that all with the stock adapter?

I want to make my rifle look as close to an actual AR-15 as possible, which is why I want to change the stock and have an aftermarket pump maybe with a vertical grip.
d4n73n
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Aug 2024, 11:45 pm

d4n73n wrote:I want to make my rifle look as close to an actual AR-15 as possible, which is why I want to change the stock and have an aftermarket pump maybe with a vertical grip.

I love the ergonomics and sights of the AR15/M16, but I don't need my rifle to look like one. I'm certainly not going to pay more money to have a forward bolt assist, shell deflector, AR15 charging handle, a pretend gas block, ejection port cover, or anything else that adds to the price purely so it will look like something it isn't, while detracting from the practicality of the rifle.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by alexjones » 21 Aug 2024, 12:03 pm

The AR platform is awesome. As Blade mentioned it is very ergonomic and modular. It is the holden commodore of the gun world in the fact that there is endless amounts of after market parts for it. Stocks, rails, handguards, charging handles, etc etc. I love the safety selector and ease of use on my thumb. In the bush and in the dark I know its on safe without even looking at it.
alexjones
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wapiti » 23 Aug 2024, 6:53 am

d4n73n wrote:I want to make my rifle look as close to an actual AR-15 as possible, which is why I want to change the stock and have an aftermarket pump maybe with a vertical grip.

There might be other brands you could look at then, maybe a Warwick, Oceania Precision or Wedgetail MPR?
Bugger me, they look like an AR rifle. Have all the attributes in ergonomics people seem to like.

All this machining and parts interchangeability with the AR's should make them cheaper than they are I reckon, but that doesn't seem to be the case. They are quite a lot of coin. And everyone seems to put these absolutely crap triggers in them, forcing you to spend hundreds more on a better one.
Even down to the blocked at 10 round 30-round Pmags that Cleavers sells, if you want the ultimate look. each to his own, it SHOULD be a free country!

Having use pump actions fairly extensively for 30 years in the bush from vehicles, then finally onto autoloaders in a AR platform, I would personally never go back to a pump if a straight-pull of similar ergonomics was available. A pump just isn't best suited to that. In that case, a bolt is just as quick.
And for pure hunting, a bolt gun is better suited and way quieter, but that's different.

I'd imagine though, that for IPSC or similar comp shooting, a pump would be best in the absence of a shooting public that isn't eligible to use an autoloader.
Shouldn't be the case, but it is.
Wapiti
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Aug 2024, 5:18 pm

How does the taipan compare to the 7615 accuracy wise. ? I don’t hear about dramas with the latter
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Wapiti » 25 Aug 2024, 7:04 am

The 7615 is capable of MOA easily, IF you can master the not-so-good shotgun trigger (identical to the 870 trigger design), and the habit of the thing to be quite unstable as they wobble about on the loose-ish pump handle on a benchrest when you try and shoot groups to check load development.
I think that these issues are the reason a lot of people malign the 7600's, it's technique but it is fighting you all the way. But if you understand the problem you can work with it.

Pump actions shine when walking about the bush, for that they are the best option IMO as both hands stay on the rifle to control it, but anything else they aren't so great!

I reckon when someone makes a quality button release rifle, like the self-ejecting shotguns out there now, all these pumps will be curios and flood the second-hand market... Watch this space, if I was a manufacturer of pumps in Aus, this is what I would be developing 100%.
Wapiti
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 26 Aug 2024, 6:42 pm

A cheap spring from gunbloke made a massive improvement to my 7600 trigger. And if accuracy was the same I would pick a rifle that didn’t attract attention from the crew that make the rules
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles