Realities of using a drilling for general hunting

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Realities of using a drilling for general hunting

Post by mickb » 16 Sep 2024, 5:32 pm

I asked about the realities of double rifle use from a yobbo persective and got some good perspectives from you fellas. Basically regulation and 'that one load' is king.

Next question is does a drilling fall into a category of its own difficulty? Say a decent merkel in 12 x 12 x 9.3 x 74. I use a double to hit pigs and wondered if a drilling would be more fun.

But again what are the realities....does that rifle barrel want to do its own thing or is its regulation a lot simpler than for a double barrel? is it more something that sounds good on paper( shotgun+ rifle) or in actual aussie type hunting are you wishing you just had a regular bolt action with 4 in the mag by the end of the hunt.....

Also how well do these things do over time, does a decent drilling eventally go off face?
mickb
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Re: Realities of using a drilling for generall hunting

Post by mchughcb » 16 Sep 2024, 5:42 pm

Hunted with a drilling for years. 12, 12, 7x65R. Shot deer, foxes, ducks, rabbits, hares. Red dots or low powered variable scopes are good. The only issue with older German drillings such as sauer is the comb drop is too low for good check mount on a scope. Also the claw mounts if you have them are a pita if you want to change scopes.
mchughcb
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 16 Sep 2024, 8:16 pm

By double do you mean double barrel shotgun ?
Have you considered just a good combination gun? I believe drilling are often reasonably heavy, is that a consideration?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 16 Sep 2024, 9:05 pm

yes double as in SxS shotgun big pete. Weight doesnt bother me insofar as still being a fairly fit gym gorilla. I guess the lesser cost of a combo is in its favour.
mickb
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by mchughcb » 16 Sep 2024, 9:31 pm

mickb wrote:yes double as in SxS shotgun big pete. Weight doesnt bother me insofar as still being a fairly fit gym gorilla. I guess the lesser cost of a combo is in its favour.

My fully steel sauer weighs 3.6kg.
mchughcb
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 16 Sep 2024, 9:34 pm

mchughcb
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 16 Sep 2024, 9:39 pm

A few hunts with a combo and drilling

https://youtu.be/T-Rpg92fGcY?si=i0NGas_0qPIUB22h
mchughcb
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 17 Sep 2024, 6:56 am

mickb wrote:yes double as in SxS shotgun big pete. Weight doesnt bother me insofar as still being a fairly fit gym gorilla. I guess the lesser cost of a combo is in its favour.

Have you tried making poor man's double by purring rifle sights on a shotgun ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 22 Sep 2024, 9:42 pm

I use the double okay as is, but the rifle barrel would allow those 100m occasional shots and big game
mickb
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles