310 Cadet - Interesting or just kooky?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

310 Cadet - Interesting or just kooky?

Post by Bent Arrow » 03 Jun 2018, 10:26 pm

Hmmm, I've got a 310 cadet, this could be interesting, or just a kooky idea...........

https://www.adelaidegunshop.com.au/seco ... p-no-av030
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Re: Interesting or just kooky?

Post by No1_49er » 03 Jun 2018, 10:50 pm

Interesting, yes. Kooky, no.
Have a look at this forum thread: -
https://www.shootingaustralia.net/forum ... -310-cadet
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 03 Jun 2018, 10:58 pm

No1_49er wrote:Interesting, yes. Kooky, no.

"Lucky to get minute of shed" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 03 Jun 2018, 11:37 pm

"minute of shed", is that measured from the inside or outside of the shed?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by No1_49er » 04 Jun 2018, 8:04 am

Stix wrote:

Seems you've got a lot to learn about the abilities of the .310 Cadet cartridge.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 04 Jun 2018, 8:22 am

IMO interesting :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jun 2018, 11:18 am

No1_49er wrote:
Stix wrote:

Seems you've got a lot to learn about the abilities of the .310 Cadet cartridge.

I've long been thinking of getting myself one of these Martini Cadets.
Assuming a good bore what sort of accuracy are they able to achieve?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 04 Jun 2018, 12:55 pm

I don't have a Cadet to shoot but a shooting buddy of mine uses one to great effect in Service Rifle matches and is consistently able to shoot a none too shabby target at 300 metres (no "lost" shots). The 100 and 200 are pretty damned good as well.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jun 2018, 2:00 pm

No1_49er wrote:I don't have a Cadet to shoot but a shooting buddy of mine uses one to great effect in Service Rifle matches and is consistently able to shoot a none too shabby target at 300 metres (no "lost" shots). The 100 and 200 are pretty damned good as well.

Thanks, but it doesn't tell me much without knowing what size the target is.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 04 Jun 2018, 3:00 pm

SSAA Service Rifle target is Inner Central = 15cm, 5 = 30cm, 4 = 60cm, 3 = 80cm, 2 = 120cm.
Buddies generally within the 3 ring, at 300mtr. given good/no wind conditions.
Remember that this is a military training rifle, so was never meant to be a "tack driver".

Here's an interesting article from a publication across the ditch that I stumbled upon while toying with the idea of getting myself a Cadet.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... g_magazine)&usg=AOvVaw12OoxGb3l9XLi7MjjIEyl5

It's a link that takes you to a pdf that you will then have to open, and save if you choose. I could have done the tiny url thing but lots of folk get confused by it. The link has been tested as it is, and works. You need the whole thing though, right out to and including the Eyl5

Good unmolested ones with good barrels are becoming increasingly difficult to track down.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jun 2018, 4:04 pm

No1_49er wrote:SSAA Service Rifle target is Inner Central = 15cm, 5 = 30cm, 4 = 60cm, 3 = 80cm, 2 = 120cm.
Buddies generally within the 3 ring, at 300mtr. given good/no wind conditions.
Remember that this is a military training rifle, so was never meant to be a "tack driver".

Here's an interesting article from a publication across the ditch that I stumbled upon while toying with the idea of getting myself a Cadet.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... g_magazine)&usg=AOvVaw12OoxGb3l9XLi7MjjIEyl5

It's a link that takes you to a pdf that you will then have to open, and save if you choose. I could have done the tiny url thing but lots of folk get confused by it. The link has been tested as it is, and works. You need the whole thing though, right out to and including the Eyl5

Good unmolested ones with good barrels are becoming increasingly difficult to track down.

So about 9MoA. Is that offhand or from a supported position? Offhand sounds very good, if supported then not so much. I think I will still keep an eye out for one though. I just shot some groups with the Mosin with Berry's 123gn .311" plated bullets at about 19MoA from the bench :-)
Interesting reading.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 04 Jun 2018, 4:19 pm

InRangeTV (look it up on youtube) recently did a vid on whether bolt actions are obsolete. Not surprisingly (given the tilt was, for competing in a tactical shooting match in the US) the answer was, they completely are. If the question had been more about big game or long range targets I suspect the answer would have been different.

But one point they made was that, back in the heyday of military bolt actions, 2-3 m.o.a was perfectly acceptable, even for a marksman's weapon. Wonder how many people would knowingly be fine about buying a rifle advertised as 2 m.o.a. today?
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jun 2018, 4:35 pm

Archie wrote:InRangeTV (look it up on youtube) recently did a vid on whether bolt actions are obsolete. Not surprisingly (given the tilt was, for competing in a tactical shooting match in the US) the answer was, they completely are. If the question had been more about big game or long range targets I suspect the answer would have been different.

But one point they made was that, back in the heyday of military bolt actions, 2-3 m.o.a was perfectly acceptable, even for a marksman's weapon. Wonder how many people would knowingly be fine about buying a rifle advertised as 2 m.o.a. today?

Just watched that video myself.
Keep in mind that the requirements were generally 4MoA for general issue rifles and 2MoA for sniper rifles. I wonder how much improvement in group size comes from simply switching from iron sights to even a poor scope, I don't think anything more needed to be done to improve the rifle itself. That's why I prefer to mount a scope for load development, even on a rifle that I don't plan to use scoped, because it tightens the groups significantly.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 04 Jun 2018, 8:18 pm

No1_49er wrote:
Stix wrote:

Actually 49r, did you read the link you yourself posted up...?
Im not knocking the 310 mate.
There's one sitting in my ol'mans safe i can shoot any time i like, & he's looking at reloading gear for it also getting another one built.

Im just amused at the term used in the link you posetd, where a poster says he's shootin 32-20 ammo & his cases come out similar to .310 cadet...
Another poster mentiones the difference in calibre & suggests in theory with a -.002" or so smaller bullet, one would be lucky to get "minute of shed"...

I think thats funny...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 04 Jun 2018, 8:25 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:"minute of shed", is that measured from the inside or outside of the shed?

And this is even funnier... :lol:

Not sure BA...you'll have to shoot 32-20 through a 310 chamber, from both inside & outside a shed to find out...
Post the findings eh... :lol:

Seriously, sorry guys, wasnt being insulting...the term is mentioned in the link 49r posted...that all... :D
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 04 Jun 2018, 8:41 pm

Reminds me of a story i heard about a bloke who's one hole at 200yds 308 went awal with no explanation....all of a sudden started shooting 8"groups at the range.

He stripped it twice, & he & 3 expert shooters were left scratchin their heads after an entire day of troubleshooting...

That is until someone walked up to his bench while he was packing up at the end of the day, & said "it's not because you're feeding it this .243 ammo is it?"... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Minute of shed...i love it... :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1_49er » 04 Jun 2018, 9:49 pm

Stix, if you had read the OPs link, you would have seen that he bought a Winchester 92 that had been re-barreled at some time in its life to 310 Cadet.

My post, which amuses you, contains a link to a topic in which the poster had what he thought to be a Win 92 chambered for 32-20.
However, as he said, and showed, the fired cases came out looking like a 310 Cadet. The "minute of shed" accuracy that amuses you is not unreasonable if you consider that firing a 31 cal projectile down a 32 cal hole is hardly conducive of top accuracy.
The final poster in that thread explains the chambering of the Cadet Magnum.

Yes, I did read the post, and fully understood it. Pays to read ALL of the thread :sarcasm: . Glad to have brought some humour to your day.

Now, if you are still serious about shooting a Cadet, the last link that I posted might serve you well. A caution though - he describes how you form cases from 32-20. Wouldn't you just know it :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 04 Jun 2018, 10:45 pm

49r...
I did read the entire thing mate...
And i do get it...really..i do...!!

I just didnt see any point in typing the entire thing out again to demonstrate this-& it seems if i did it wouldnt have made a difference anyway... :thumbsup:

I also didnt think it necessary to mention the various models of old wini levers chambered in 32-20 sitting with the 310 cadet.
But ive learned something--& that is a new excuse...!!!
Ive now got a new excuse to shoot all the 32-20's--just to make sure they're not rechambered to the 310...
(See, i told you i get it...!! :thumbsup: )

Ill be sure & read all you've posted again when i decide to dive deep into the realms of the cadet... :thumbsup: :drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles