New gun suggestion - Mountain Hunting Gun

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New gun suggestion - Mountain Hunting Gun

Post by Patty93 » 10 Jun 2018, 8:18 pm

Gday guys,

Long hours at work = money for new toys...

Want some suggestions on a lightweight, long range (800m) hunting set up for chasing anything from tahr through to sambar and potentially north american game in the future...

Sub MOA, light, sexy, and suitable for these hunts is what i’m looking for, havnt really considered price just yet, suggestions will probably shape that decision.

Cheers lads
Patty93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: New gun suggestion - Mountain Hunting Gun

Post by MontyShooter » 10 Jun 2018, 8:57 pm

Sako 85 carbonlite in 7mm rem mag.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by southeast varmiter » 11 Jun 2018, 12:14 am

MontyShooter wrote:Sako 85 carbonlite in 7mm rem mag.

Only if you want the brass to be rooted after it ejects onto your scope.

Try a kimber mountain ascent.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Homer » 11 Jun 2018, 8:37 am

G'Day Fella's,

Patty93, Been There Done That (lightweight hunting rifles), for the past 30+ years.
These days, I would suggest looking at what Kimber produces.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by marksman » 11 Jun 2018, 10:19 am

I would suggest looking at the 270-300wsm cases for saving a bit on weight in a shorter action for mountain hunting
then look at the rifle as there are plenty about that are made for these cartridges that come in a capable lightweight rifle
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Jun 2018, 10:35 am

marksman wrote:I would suggest looking at the 270-300wsm cases for saving a bit on weight in a shorter action for mountain hunting
then look at the rifle as there are plenty about that are made for these cartridges that come in a capable lightweight rifle

Apparently he wants to hunt things at 800m do you reckon the 270 would be up to that sort of distance? :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Jun 2018, 10:37 am

Homer wrote:G'Day Fella's,

Patty93, Been There Done That (lightweight hunting rifles), for the past 30+ years.
These days, I would suggest looking at what Kimber produces.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

Have Kimber sorted out their issues with some of the rifles? I remember a few years back people complaining about their accuracy I think it was.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 11 Jun 2018, 10:53 am

I've never hunted a mountain. ...much meat on them????? :unknown: :lol: :drinks:

Sorry couldn't help myself :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Jun 2018, 11:09 am

Weatherby make a fine looking MK5 rifle in 300/378 which can deliver a 220 grain payload out to 800 metres. Just the thing for a mountain man. If that is too small for you the straight 378WM is pretty handy at long range with 350 grain projectiles.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by southwest shooter » 11 Jun 2018, 11:25 am

800 meters ?
Your joking right ?
I showed andriy and he just laughed said you australians are crazier than the americans !
Any Howa will do and keep the shots under 400 .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 11 Jun 2018, 11:33 am

Andriy just told me he can sell you a DSHK 38 , said its suitable for what you want to do .
Pickup only , are you anywhere near Crimea ?
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 11 Jun 2018, 11:40 am

+1 for the mountain ascent, I have one on my wish list if I ever have the needs to justify it, topped with a swarovski and in some sort of 7mm or 30cal magnum variant...sweeet!

Here is a pretty good resource and discussion for helping you choose the calibre
https://www.gunwerks.com/blogs/long-ran ... ter-magnum
Bigjobss

Post by marksman » 11 Jun 2018, 12:55 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
marksman wrote:I would suggest looking at the 270-300wsm cases for saving a bit on weight in a shorter action for mountain hunting

Apparently he wants to hunt things at 800m do you reckon the 270 would be up to that sort of distance? :unknown:

I meant the 270wsm, mine does but in varmint configuration and its not light,
shooting 150gr sst's at 3240 fps its hooting along
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 11 Jun 2018, 1:06 pm

southwest shooter wrote:800 meters ?
Your joking right ?
I showed andriy and he just laughed said you australians are crazier than the americans !

no way are we joking :lol: :lol: or crazier than the americans :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would have picked the 6.5x284 first but the Patty wants to hunt sambar legally
hunting sambar at distance is the only reason I made up a 270wsm, which is a true 7mm
have a look at these crazy yanks shooting at distance with the 6.5x284 :drinks:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=taRMw9NN8CU
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 11 Jun 2018, 1:07 pm

Daddybang wrote:I've never hunted a mountain. ...much meat on them????? :unknown: :lol: :drinks:

not much meat Daddybang and tastes pretty earthy :lol: :lol: :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Jun 2018, 3:22 pm

I have shot some pretty dangerous looking rocks out to 800, if they fell on you they could be pretty dangerous. I never feel under gunned when shooting rocks with a Weatherby. Not like mountain hunting for sure but as big time as you can get in Australia.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 11 Jun 2018, 6:07 pm

800m shots hunting ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Patty93 » 11 Jun 2018, 6:08 pm

Thanks lads, havnt decided on caliber yet as there is too dam many to consider but the 7mm is something that keeps coming to mind..

800m these days i think is fair, and in the NZ alps etc i can see this distance being used... Yes I know how to shoot, and no i won’t be making shots unless i’m 99% confident in my ability to take the shots....

Thanks for the suggestions though lads, looks like i have a place to finally start drooling at and finding what i want!
Patty93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Jun 2018, 6:26 pm

marksman wrote:
southwest shooter wrote:800 meters ?
Your joking right ?

no way are we joking :lol: :lol: or crazier than the americans :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would have picked the 6.5x284 first but the Patty wants to hunt sambar legally
hunting sambar at distance is the only reason I made up a 270wsm, which is a true 7mm
have a look at these crazy yanks shooting at distance with the 6.5x284 :drinks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taRMw9NN8CU

Some nice shooting and great cal in action there! :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by juststarting » 11 Jun 2018, 10:17 pm

I have recently played with Kimber in 308. Owner got it specifically for that reason, NZ alps, etc. It's on the pricey side, close to $3k, but oh my, it's a crazy lite rifle, like REALLY lite. I loved it.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 12 Jun 2018, 6:22 am

6.5 variants seem to be the go now for any distance shooting.
Plenty of videos on YouTube showing long range hunting and comparing the caliber to others.
May be worth a look to help you.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Archie » 12 Jun 2018, 6:43 am

I have a Kimber in 308. Love it. Carbon fibre stocks weighs less than most 22s. One thing I would say, because the mountain rifles are so light they jump a bit. The gun itself is very accurate and well made but realistically I think 800m is a bit ambitious to reliably hit under field conditions, they just don’t have the same stability as a long range platform with a bit more mass. Great to carry uphill though.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 12 Jun 2018, 7:54 am

Patty93 wrote:Gday guys,

Long hours at work = money for new toys...

Want some suggestions on a lightweight, long range (800m) hunting set up for chasing anything from tahr through to sambar and potentially north american game in the future...

Sub MOA, light, sexy, and suitable for these hunts is what i’m looking for, havnt really considered price just yet, suggestions will probably shape that decision.

Cheers lads

My first inclination was to suggest that you go to a custom build if you have a good idea of what you want.
BUT having put up the question on the forum I suspect you don't.

Your conundrum probably can't be answered with a simple response and invites the following comments and questions.

Reliable accuracy at 800 meters, sufficient to hit the vital zones of a thar, is unlikely to be obtained from any lightweight factory rifle no matter how sexy it may be.
Have you ever shot at a true 800 meters?
Have you ever shot at a true 800 meters from a field position without the benefit of prior sighting shots?
Are you able to practice regularly at 800 meters to develop proficiency?
There are many other questions that may be asked not to embarrass you but to help you clarify your thinking and prioritise those features you really want.
If you want to discuss further then PM me.
Don't worry, I don't have anything to sell and I do hope you realize your ambition.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 12 Jun 2018, 9:07 am

Ignition custom engineering just built a rifle that was 4.5# in 223
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Archie » 12 Jun 2018, 9:43 am

bentaz wrote:https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1841_mountain_howitzer&ved=2ahUKEwjogPzhzMzbAhXBy7wKHXqfDB0QFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2TmEgxOR3CjBkR-OqnAzu9

Probably easier just to upgrade to a grid square removal system. Doesn't need to be too portable if you just erase the mountain.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M270_Mu ... ket_System

These sort of discussions always remind me of when you see those graduated iron sights on pre-WWI bolt actions that range out to 2000 yards. Like, yes, it is perfectly possible... but outside of a very few people, it really isn't probable to land a first round hit in most realistic scenarios.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 12 Jun 2018, 12:31 pm

bentaz wrote:Yeah but for suppressive volley fire those 2000yard iron sights work a treat!
We have an old van at 330m and you can hit it with 22subs, 44mag trailboss loads and 12ga slugs all day long, not tight groups but well enough to harass an enemy position.

Totally. Don't get me wrong, I would stay well under cover if someone was banging away at me with a K98 at 2000 yards. It's just when it comes to hunting my primary concern is not keeping the target's head down so we can flank them.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jun 2018, 5:15 pm

Frankly, I don't think it's hunting. Even if you could do it reliably. I'll leave it at that.

I'm sure some will disagree but that's my opinion.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 12 Jun 2018, 6:36 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Frankly, I don't think it's hunting. Even if you could do it reliably. I'll leave it at that.

I'm sure some will disagree but that's my opinion.

x2¹³
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TBJ » 12 Jun 2018, 9:49 pm

As a few have suggested have a look at the Kimber Mountain Ascent, I held and played with one at the LGS and it felt way nice, really light, and comes threaded. As others have suggested I have also played with the Sako Carbonlight and that also feels awesome not too sure about the coating on the stock durability but I don't own one so I don't have experience with it, personally I would go the Kimber, its an awesome gun and I love the Pre-64 style action with CRF and 3 pos flag safety, its also cheaper so more money for a better Scope or more toys!
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 12 Jun 2018, 11:07 pm

Daddybang wrote:I've never hunted a mountain. ...much meat on them????? :unknown: :lol: :drinks:

Ive shot one...2 rounds with the 7-08...
Tuff barstads they are, it didnt move...not even a bludy twitch...!!

Next time i hope to hit the goats instead... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles