Ever seen a Marlin like this one?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Ever seen a Marlin like this one?

Post by in2anity » 10 Jun 2018, 9:30 pm

Here's the hook photo, yep that's a centerfire Marlin:

tube.jpg
tube.jpg (605.9 KiB) Viewed 2471 times

Backstory: I bought a 24" Chiappa SS 44mag a while back - stunning looking gun, I added all the bells and whistles to try get her to group (tang, front sight, trigger job). It was destined for pistol cartridge silhouette. In a nutshell, sadly it turned out to be far from adequate. By definition, after those 3 opening shots it would open up to no less than 5moa at 50m (and this was the optimal load). On top of that, I came to realize a sporter 44mag is just a bit too much gun for target shooting (if you can get away with less rifle that is). Over a match, the 44mag gets hot - so the heat mirage affects your sight picture. Perhaps this is actually exaggerated by the SS barrel; it seams to get hot faster than my blued rifles? Furthermore, it seems the steel is actually softer than blued, so one can imagine the whip is probably also increased when it heats up (which ironically is probably also exaggerated by the long, thin barrel). The pills are also heavy (so not good value for money), and powder consumption is significant. The action is sloppy and prone to jamming, and it has a tendency to light primer strike. So out of much frustration, I turned to something a little smaller (and more appropriate, yet expensive I might add).

Introducing the JM stamped Marlin 1894CB chambered in the rather fleeting, 32H&R Magnum:

portrait.jpg
portrait.jpg (753.81 KiB) Viewed 2471 times

That's right, a tube loaded centerfire Marlin. Actually this was a limited release manufactured in 2006, unusually based on the 39 action. And WOW, now do I see why people complain about the quality of Remlins (I have a Remlin 336 to compare against). The quality of this rifle is utterly incomparable to my modern Remlin junk.

open.jpg
open.jpg (558.74 KiB) Viewed 2471 times

barrel.jpg
barrel.jpg (699.67 KiB) Viewed 2471 times

And lets talk about accuracy, holy s**t can it shoot. Without a doubt, the most accurate lever rifle I've ever seen (excluding BLRs, 88s etc ofc), and it's a pistol cartridge to boot! Cheap, 32cal 115gn cast lead pills over a mild 10gr 05 load consistently group into sub 2moa, we're talking consistent, long shot string groups. Barrel heating is nice and slow. recoil virtually non-existant. Check out some groups:

(4x) Scoped:

scope.jpg
scope.jpg (413.91 KiB) Viewed 2471 times

And with a William's Peep sight + Lyman tunnel:

peeps.jpg
peeps.jpg (402.61 KiB) Viewed 2471 times

And that was literally my first test load! If one was chasing benchrest accuracy, a high powered scope and more load development would get it down even further. For me, what makes this rifle so desirable is the ease and cost of reloading associated with pistol cartridges. Admittedly It's only a 20", but I'd rather sacrifice four inches of sight radius for crazy good mechanical accuracy. That sort of accuracy will do me any day of the week! Like my Tikka, this rifle is more accurate than I am.

Moral of the story, yet again, aim for just “enough gun” and buy once, cry once. Leave the replicas for for fun and hunting. :drinks:
Last edited by in2anity on 12 Jun 2018, 11:51 am, edited 14 times in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Ever seen a Marlin like this one?

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Jun 2018, 9:39 pm

:thumbsup: Noice!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jun 2018, 10:31 pm

Wow, that is impressive!
But what did you mean by "yep, a tube fed Marlin" - aren't their levers all tube fed?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 10 Jun 2018, 10:41 pm

bladeracer wrote:Wow, that is impressive!
But what did you mean by "yep, a tube fed Marlin" - aren't their levers all tube fed?

Thanks Blade - it’s a beauty! Perhaps I’m using the wrong terminology - tube loaded I meant, similar to the Henry, ie no loading gate.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jun 2018, 11:00 pm

in2anity wrote:

Thanks Blade - it’s a beauty! Perhaps I’m using the wrong terminology - tube loaded I meant, similar to the Henry, ie no loading gate.

I get you now :-)
Henry's are loaded into a port in the tube, but they don't have a tube that comes out. You push the follower up and lock it at the front of the tube, then drop the rounds in the port.
The removable tube is mainly a .22-style I think.

I'm still tossing up the Marlin .357Mag myself.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 10 Jun 2018, 11:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:

I get you now :-)
Henry's are loaded into a port in the tube, but they don't have a tube that comes out. You push the follower up and lock it at the front of the tube, then drop the rounds in the port.
The removable tube is mainly a .22-style I think.

I'm still tossing up the Marlin .357Mag myself.

The guy I bought this off has one JM 1894CB .357 24” left - it’d be even better than this one because of that extra sight radius. I didn’t get it because of the stupid 8mm rule at ANZAC. PM me if you want more details.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 11 Jun 2018, 4:12 pm

nice rifle well done

but your analogy of stainless verses blued chrome moly is funny
the thermal conductivity, 1 W/(mK) = 1 W/(moC) = 0.85984 Kcal/(hr moC) =0.5779 Btu/(ft hr oF) of stainless steel is approx. 16 and carbon steel, 46.
in essence stainless steel will take longer to heat up and cool down :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 11 Jun 2018, 4:17 pm

marksman wrote:nice rifle well done

the thermal conductivity, 1 W/(mK) = 1 W/(moC) = 0.85984 Kcal/(hr moC) =0.5779 Btu/(ft hr oF) of stainless steel is approx. 16 and carbon steel, 46.
in essence stainless steel will take longer to heat up and cool down :thumbsup: :drinks:

Ok I’m not gonna argue against that - I’m the first to admit my observations are purely anecdotal. It’s likely just that the 44 has a whippy thin barrel so it gets hot FAST. Thanks for the info mate.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 11 Jun 2018, 4:20 pm

And here’s a cartridge comparison shot, all HRBC pills:

A27D3AB8-06F9-4CA8-9C8A-8ABE9BA6BC6A.jpeg
30/30, 44mag, 32H&R
A27D3AB8-06F9-4CA8-9C8A-8ABE9BA6BC6A.jpeg (632.04 KiB) Viewed 2331 times
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 13 Jun 2018, 1:13 am

marksman wrote:nice rifle well done

So marksman...
Close to proving string theory...?
:lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles