Rossi or Henry lever 357

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Rossi or Henry lever 357

Post by in2anity » 01 Jan 2020, 11:33 am

K&D4GUNS wrote:I find mine does the same if I fully load the tube feeder, I only load 7 now (hunting, 5 obviously if MS) and have no issues. Great gun, super accurate, even with the buckhorn sights (but I’m changing to Skinner peeps) and can’t beat it for the price! It only likes 158gn pills though!

Even Marlins can be prone to jamming the small, straight wall cartridges. I have a little Marlin 94CB chambered in 32H&R mag - that gun is unreliable as all hell with 10 up the tube. Lucky ms banks only come in groups of 5 :lol:

scaled.jpg
Marlin 1894CB 32h&r mag
scaled.jpg (981.95 KiB) Viewed 6558 times
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 01 Jan 2020, 3:12 pm

I've had a Rossi lever gun for about 40 years but have never handled a Henry. My Rossi was one of three bought with two mates at the same time when Rossi began to be marketed in Australia in the 1980's. All three rifles were re-barrelled under warranty due to headspace problems. Since then I haven't had an issue that wasn't caused by me.
I use it occasionally for IPSC 3-gun competitions and it's plenty accurate enough for a 20" open sight rifle. They are quite common in my club.
I've never tested it off a rest for groups at 100m - it isn't that sort of rifle. Offhand it will consistently knock over soft-drink cans at 50m. It's light and handy for carrying in scrub and has knocked over a couple of goats from the back of a motorcycle.
It feeds everything I've put through it including its regular diet of 125gr moly coated semi-wadcutters that I load for revolver.
Mine is pretty smooth after all this time but I am told that new they can benefit from an action job.
The company has been around since 1889 in Brazil and has been making 1892 clones for a lot of that time. They are solid rifles.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 02 Jan 2020, 12:39 am

i have a henry they will warrenty the hell out of it i have seen them get a hold of youtube shooters telling them there gun should not be doing some thing send it back.
mine was a gift from my son i was looking at buying a henry becouse i could scope it my eyes are old i have not put it on yet the sights are nice and i have not shot it past 100 yards.
I have not seen any of the rossi ones in a while when i was looking they were about 200 dollers us less then the henry cowboy action shooters were buying them slicking up the action and deburring the load gates
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jan 2020, 2:59 am

wrenchman wrote:i have a henry they will warrenty the hell out of it i have seen them get a hold of youtube shooters telling them there gun should not be doing some thing send it back.
mine was a gift from my son i was looking at buying a henry becouse i could scope it my eyes are old i have not put it on yet the sights are nice and i have not shot it past 100 yards.
I have not seen any of the rossi ones in a while when i was looking they were about 200 dollers us less then the henry cowboy action shooters were buying them slicking up the action and deburring the load gates

I scoped my Rossi 92 as soon as I got it, a 2-7x32 scout scope.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 02 Jan 2020, 11:26 pm

wrenchman wrote:i have a henry they will warrenty the hell out of it i have seen them get a hold of youtube shooters telling them there gun should not be doing some thing send it back.

Unfortunately, in my experience, we have to fight hard to enforce our consumer rights in Australia. Our government is not inclined to help shooters - it's not P.C.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by InisBineest » 20 Jan 2020, 1:40 pm

I'm curious (as one who owns and loves the Alfa:P) what was wrong with your Alfa Carbine? Did you not like the noise and blast from the cylinder gap or did you end up with other issues?
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juano86 » 20 Jan 2020, 2:22 pm

Cant speak for the Henry, but i love my 16" Rossi in .357 mag
Plugged this guy in the eye at 50yrds in the rain. definitely shoots better than 'minute of pig'...
It loves the Hornady 158gr XTP's and i think its suitably accurate.
Attachments
IMG_8250.jpg
IMG_8250.jpg (150.83 KiB) Viewed 6481 times
@juan_hunts
juano86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 20 Jan 2020, 7:08 pm

Moonie. Rain. Same rifle. Same ammo drizabone coat lots of pigs. Melon holes lime bush. I get it
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Maxjon » 20 Jan 2020, 8:54 pm

Visually the Henry looks much nicer metal work, and metal to wood finish is lots nicer. Read nothing very good about the Rossi, but lots of good about Henry......My vote is the Henry
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jan 2020, 12:31 am

Bullbarrel033 wrote:Visually the Henry looks much nicer metal work, and metal to wood finish is lots nicer. Read nothing very good about the Rossi, but lots of good about Henry......My vote is the Henry

I have a Rossi 92 .357, and a Henry .22LR, and I would not recommend Henry. If somebody wants one I won't talk them out of it, but I wouldn't want anybody to buy one on my recommendation and end up disappointed. I also have a Winchester 94 in .30-30, Marlin 94 in .44 Mag, and Uberti 66 in .38 Special, all of which I would recommend ahead of Henry for quality. The Henry though is probably half the price of those, or less, and I agree, the Henry finish is lovely.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wapiti » 21 Jan 2020, 8:58 am

Sus_scrofa wrote:
20180622_210752.jpg

Why not a pump 357mag like a beretta gold rush?

Wow, that is one sexy gun.

Do they function well, and what's the mag capacity?
Can you get a shorter barrel?
Wapiti
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 21 Jan 2020, 11:27 am

juano86 wrote:Cant speak for the Henry, but i love my 16" Rossi in .357 mag
Plugged this guy in the eye at 50yrds in the rain. definitely shoots better than 'minute of pig'...
It loves the Hornady 158gr XTP's and i think its suitably accurate.

Oh man I want a 16" trapper. Looks fun as
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by ScottyD » 21 Jan 2020, 4:18 pm

[quote="bladeracer"

I have a Rossi 92 .357, and a Henry .22LR, and I would not recommend Henry. If somebody wants one I won't talk them out of it, but I wouldn't want anybody to buy one on my recommendation and end up disappointed. I also have a Winchester 94 in .30-30, Marlin 94 in .44 Mag, and Uberti 66 in .38 Special, all of which I would recommend ahead of Henry for quality. The Henry though is probably half the price of those, or less, and I agree, the Henry finish is lovely.[/quote]

Is there any one of these rifles that you'd single out as the best (mainly for pigs in scrub at short to medium distance)? :huh:
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jan 2020, 5:50 pm

ScottyD wrote:
I have a Rossi 92 .357, and a Henry .22LR, and I would not recommend Henry. If somebody wants one I won't talk them out of it, but I wouldn't want anybody to buy one on my recommendation and end up disappointed. I also have a Winchester 94 in .30-30, Marlin 94 in .44 Mag, and Uberti 66 in .38 Special, all of which I would recommend ahead of Henry for quality. The Henry though is probably half the price of those, or less, and I agree, the Henry finish is lovely./quote]

Is there any one of these rifles that you'd single out as the best (mainly for pigs in scrub at short to medium distance)? :huh:

No pigs around here, but I really like .44 Magnum, and the Marlin 94 is a nice rifle. You can also load the .44 Mag down to the levels of .357 for smaller beasts if you went to. The Rossi is also available in .44 Magnum. One big advantage the Uberti .38 Special has, is its twist rate allows 200gn bullets over the more-relaxed twist rate of the .357 Rossi.

The Uberti, Rossi and Winchester are all top-eject, making it difficult to mount conventional optics, and leaves lots of openings for crud to get into the action. The Marlin is side eject and much better enclosed.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ScottyD » 23 Jan 2020, 9:25 am

No pigs around here, but I really like .44 Magnum, and the Marlin 94 is a nice rifle. You can also load the .44 Mag down to the levels of .357 for smaller beasts if you went to. The Rossi is also available in .44 Magnum. One big advantage the Uberti .38 Special has, is its twist rate allows 200gn bullets over the more-relaxed twist rate of the .357 Rossi.

The Uberti, Rossi and Winchester are all top-eject, making it difficult to mount conventional optics, and leaves lots of openings for crud to get into the action. The Marlin is side eject and much better enclosed.[/quote]

Hmm, ok. Thanks for that :thumbsup:
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ScottyD » 24 Jan 2020, 3:22 pm

I've been looking at the Marlins for a while now (mainly in 30 30, but now I'm contemplating pistol calibre's too), and haven't been interested in the Henry offerings mainly because I don't think I'd like the tube loading for the bigger calibre's. But now I see they're bringing out side-loading gates on their guns, whilst retaining the magazine tube. Now they've got my attention.

They look pretty cool/well made, although I'm not sure how the polished brass would go when stalking stuff like pigs. All the reviews I've seen/read rate them too.
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2020, 4:36 pm

ScottyD wrote:I've been looking at the Marlins for a while now (mainly in 30 30, but now I'm contemplating pistol calibre's too), and haven't been interested in the Henry offerings mainly because I don't think I'd like the tube loading for the bigger calibre's. But now I see they're bringing out side-loading gates on their guns, whilst retaining the magazine tube. Now they've got my attention.

They look pretty cool/well made, although I'm not sure how the polished brass would go when stalking stuff like pigs. All the reviews I've seen/read rate them too.

Think about it this way, you just dropped two pigs of a bunch, with a gate you can top-off while moving without even taking your eyes off the pigs, with a tube-loader you have to pull the tube out to drop rounds in, and when you close the tube you slip and launch the inner tube into the bush, scaring the game off...then all your ammo falls out of the rifle :-)

I hate loading from the noisy end, stupid idea that should've disappeared the same day gate-loading appeared. I thought I saw something about a .22 gate-loading lever but haven't seen it again, anybody know of such a thing?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ScottyD » 24 Jan 2020, 6:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Think about it this way, you just dropped two pigs of a bunch, with a gate you can top-off while moving without even taking your eyes off the pigs, with a tube-loader you have to pull the tube out to drop rounds in, and when you close the tube you slip and launch the inner tube into the bush, scaring the game off...then all your ammo falls out of the rifle :-)

I hate loading from the noisy end, stupid idea that should've disappeared the same day gate-loading appeared. I thought I saw something about a .22 gate-loading lever but haven't seen it again, anybody know of such a thing?[/quote]

Yeah, I totally agree. A side-gate loading makes a lot of sense to me, and these new Henry rifles look like being a bit better quality than the Marlins. I've been looking at the side-gate loading 30 30 and the 38 55 so far, and they reckon the 45 70 and other calibre's aren't too far away as well. I haven't come across a 22 version yet though, but id be surprised if they haven't covered those as well.
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Jt-2019 » 09 Feb 2020, 6:24 pm

I here the rossi in 357 mag goes ok the cheaper Henry's 22lr are about the same price
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles