Verney carron speedline cleaning

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Verney carron speedline cleaning

Post by archie85 » 26 Jun 2018, 4:37 pm

Hi All,

I'm new here :)
I recently brought a Verney carron speedline and haven't had time to take it to the range yet.
I was wondering if any of you guys own one and how you go about cleaning it/breaking it in.
With my bolt guns, it's very easy to take the bolt out and run my cleaning rod at the range. But I'm concerned about running a rod from the muzzle down (guy at the gun store told me to) clean/breaking it in.

How do you guys do this?

archie85
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Verney carron speedline cleaning

Post by Wm.Traynor » 27 Jun 2018, 7:41 pm

I would clean the same as my 7600. Briefly, insert the rod minus tools, from the muzzle. Attach tools via the open action, that is with the bolt locked back. It would help, if you have not thought of it, to clamp the barrel in a padded vice. Drag tools out from chamber to muzzle. Drying-out the chamber requires a detailed explanation. But never fear archie, others will come to your rescue before long :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 28 Jun 2018, 8:39 am

I don't know sh@t about the verneys but I use a pull thru.on my lever rifles because ya can't get a rod in from the action. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 28 Jun 2018, 11:26 am

I'm a bore-snake kind of guy - open the action, with the barrel pointed down, spray your cleaner down the barrel until it runs out the muzzle, being careful not to overflow it back up into the action. Let it do its thing, then follow with the snake (from the action). Rinse repeat. Follow up with some oil to preserve. Or you could just follow these steps with g96 alone (which all-in-one cleans, lubricates and protects). NOTE: at any time you can always carefully run an oiled patch from the muzzle to gauge how clean the barrel is, but this is not required for day-to-day cleaning.

When it comes to the bolt and action, just use a penetrative cleaner (not WD40!!) such as Inox to clean and lubricate (the bolt, action and trigger). Every now and again, a full disassembly might be required to get everything pristine again - but if you're diligent with your cleaning, this will be a long way down the track, particularly if you use a clean-burning powder.

BACKGROUND INFO: It is usually difficult to remove the bolt from a winchester actions, which is where the above method is most appropriate. One of the benefits of the marlin action is the ease of bolt removal, meaning you can use a rod from the receiver end. The marlin 39 action is one step better, as their is no rear pillar, meaning when you take the bolt out, the entire action is open, visible and easily accessible/cleanable.
Last edited by in2anity on 28 Jun 2018, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 28 Jun 2018, 2:09 pm

Daddybang wrote:I don't know sh@t about the verneys but I use a pull thru.on my lever rifles because ya can't get a rod in from the action. :thumbsup: :drinks:

FWIW, it is possible to adapt the 7600 method for a lever rifle.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jun 2018, 2:42 pm

I only clean the bore when the rifle tells me it needs it, but with my levers I have to disassemble the action completely to clean all the crud out several times before I need to clean the bores, so I will often clean the bore when I have it apart anyway.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 28 Jun 2018, 3:29 pm

bladeracer wrote:I only clean the bore when the rifle tells me it needs it, but with my levers I have to disassemble the action completely to clean all the crud out several times before I need to clean the bores, so I will often clean the bore when I have it apart anyway.

Yeah - I noticed this too Blade - I might be wrong but AR2205 seems particularly dirty. In my pistol levers the actions get dirty fast. Slower burn bolt territory like 2208 / 2206 seems much cleaner in contrast.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jun 2018, 3:55 pm

in2anity wrote:Yeah - I noticed this too Blade - I might be wrong but AR2205 seems particularly dirty. In my pistol levers the actions get dirty fast. Slower burn bolt territory like 2208 / 2206 seems much cleaner in contrast.

I hadn't thought of that, maybe it is just the pistol powders rather than the design of the action.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles