Value priced .223 recommendation please

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Value priced .223 recommendation please

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jul 2018, 9:08 pm

matt4350 wrote:Thanks, these Howas seem to attract little criticism. What cheek riser do you use/recommend for the standard stock, I'd like to put one on the .308.

I just use the cheap Chinese strap-on butt bag that can also take a spare mag, pull through and some tools for the scope mounts.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tactical-Hunting-Rifle-Gun-Butt-Stock-Pack-Cheek-Riser-Pad-Bullets-Pouch-Holder/183173594433

Like these. I bought about a dozen of them a few years ago, for less than ten bucks a piece I think.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by matt4350 » 04 Jul 2018, 9:11 pm

brett1868 wrote:I have the S/S Howa 1500 M/A, its a boring rifle in that it just makes single ragged hole groups. I like to reload and turn a sprayer into a tack driver and the Howa did it out of the box so it's in the back of the safe.

Excellent! What ammo were you using?
matt4350
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jul 2018, 10:04 pm

matt4350 wrote:What cheek riser do you use/recommend for the standard stock, I'd like to put one on the .308.

I remembered seeing these, a bit classier than the Chinese knock-off.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tourbon-Rifle-Cheek-Riser-Rest-Pad-Ammo-Holder-Bullets-Pouch-Tactical-Hunting-AU/222726426909
I don't know if it's as adjustable as the ones I use though, it looks more rigid. I just pack mine with a roll of packing material to get the required height.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Thom318 » 04 Jul 2018, 10:27 pm

Sounds good, is it the sort of thing you'd walk with for a few hours? Okay for a shorter female? Ugly rifle is fine, like you said, don't wanna cry if it gets dinged![/quote]

Personally, I'd have no issue hiking with it with a decent strap. My better half is on the smaller side, it's possibly a little long for her tastes, maybe a little muzzle heavy, but she shoots it well enough
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Cooper » 05 Jul 2018, 11:24 am

matt4350 wrote:
Cooper wrote:Go the Howa mini action in 223. I liked mine so much I bought one in 204 Ruger and then one in 6.5 Grendel.
The only negatives are the stock and magazine release. The stock foreend moves around when using a bi pod and the magazine release is a bit long and easily bumped and the magazine falls out.

Two of mine are in aftermarket stocks (Boyds and MDT) the Grendel is in the standard stock with an aftermarket cheek riser. The 6.5 Grendel is a great calibre. But certainly not for everybody. Factory ammunition not readily available. But it is very easy to load for and doesn't seem slightest bit picky about loads. Bought new brass, no load development easily around the 1 inch at 100 metres.

Thanks, these Howas seem to attract little criticism. What cheek riser do you use/recommend for the standard stock, I'd like to put one on the .308.

https://www.australiantacticalprecision ... rest-piece

I have tried the strap on padded style. But prefer the bolt on australian tactical precision style. Need to drill two 6.5mm holes from memory. But it is totally adjustable and rock solid.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Spiney » 05 Jul 2018, 5:23 pm

+1 for the Ruger American Ranch. I had a real tough time deciding between the Howa mini and the Ruger ranch as they both had their pros and cons. I didn’t like the Howa’s mag release and the Ruger is not the prettiest rifle around. The Ruger one out for me as I really liked how light it was and love the short barrel, although its a bit loud. Its proven to be accurate with OSA 55g blitzkings with the best five round group at 100m being under 1/2 moa. I have just started load development and have managed to achieve .6 moa at this stage. Rifle is standard, however I did sand the barrel channel in the stock to ensure it is free floating. It was touching on one side. Either way I reckon you can’t lose :D

F50D54F7-4D1D-478E-AF0E-9DAA1E701D42.jpeg
F50D54F7-4D1D-478E-AF0E-9DAA1E701D42.jpeg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 6091 times

4429A93D-838D-430F-9FD5-B234F389C56F.jpeg
55g hornady roomax 25g of ar2206h
4429A93D-838D-430F-9FD5-B234F389C56F.jpeg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 6091 times
So far CZ 455 22lr, Ruger american ranch 223
Spiney
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jul 2018, 6:05 pm

brett1868 wrote:I have the S/S Howa 1500 M/A, its a boring rifle in that it just makes single ragged hole groups. I like to reload and turn a sprayer into a tack driver and the Howa did it out of the box so it's in the back of the safe.

My new Marlin XS shot like that with B&S ammo. ( TBO I think it was a dodgy batch) Shoots great with hand loads.

Marlin bolt actions are no longer available new but worth considering. Cheap as chips & shoots great.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by matt4350 » 05 Jul 2018, 10:14 pm

Thanks again to all for your comments, it's fantastic to get a helping hand for what turned out to be something more difficult than I first thought!

I've decided on the Howa mini action varmint, loved the 20" heavy barrel, the way it felt working the bolt and the way it feels comfy in my hands. Must say I shall occasionally wonder if I should have gone a Ruger, but too late now, PTA is in! :)

Thanks to Bladeracer and Cooper for the info on the cheek risers. The Tourbon job in leather looks pretty good and it was hard not to order even after I had a look at ATP's kydex art. I put the order in for ATP's riser after a bit of dithering, it looks like it should be a good solid piece of kit.

Again, cheers all, hopefully I'll be putting some posts up about how well this rifle works out for us, in a month or so.

Stay safe,
Matt
matt4350
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Jul 2018, 8:26 am

Well done, the Howa is an excellent action. I am guessing the twist rate is 1:12, should shoot 50 and 55 pills very well.

I am up for the Enough Gun 223 challenge, beware the tittle Tikka shoots group hovering around an inch at 300. Not sure about no rear bag though, Might make it a bit more challenging.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 06 Jul 2018, 9:46 am

SCJ429 wrote:Well done, the Howa is an excellent action. I am guessing the twist rate is 1:12, should shoot 50 and 55 pills very well.

I am up for the Enough Gun 223 challenge, beware the tittle Tikka shoots group hovering around an inch at 300. Not sure about no rear bag though, Might make it a bit more challenging.

The Howa Mini's in 223 are 1:9 twist. I've shot projectiles fron 35gr up to 69gr. The factory OSA Ammo seems to shoot pretty well if you don't reload.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Jul 2018, 5:56 pm

Well the 1:9 will come in handy if you want to shoot heavier pills. It will spin those little 50s pretty fast.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles