Brno U/O 12 gauge barrel section

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Brno U/O 12 gauge barrel section

Post by pete1 » 04 Jul 2018, 9:48 pm

Ok so picked up a second hand Brno U/O for $300 with very little wear. First shots today wow what a nice gun points well, well made.
Ill put photos up tomorrow.
So one barrel is chocked more then the other, but i can select which to fire first. I'm not sure would you want a narrower pattern first or wider pattern first? In a hunting situation.
What are peoples thoughts must be a common thought.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Brno U/O 12 gauge barrel section

Post by Stix » 05 Jul 2018, 12:06 am

Generally speaking select the barrel to shoot the wider pattern first, thats assuming the target is moving away from you.

On the odd occasion, say clays or if you're well hidden, ducks ir birds coming toward you switch barrel quickly if you have time.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 05 Jul 2018, 12:18 am

In other words the tighter pattern gives you longer range... :thumbsup:

The gun sounds like a bargain...!

Do you know what the barrels are choked to...?
If its a field gun it might be Half & full...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 05 Jul 2018, 10:47 am

The BRNO, a very good gun too.
With mine I've got full choke (top barrell) and 1/2 choke bottom barrell. If I call the feral dog(s)/ fox(s) into 15-25yds, use the bottom barrell - wider pattern/spread of shot; should they hang around 40-50 yds give them the top barrell, tighter group for longer range.
The shotgun fixed chokes are usually Full,modified, improved cylinder and full cylinder.
Have a look at this, will give you a better idea AND don't use slugs in choked barrels...

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct= ... 7887131091
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 05 Jul 2018, 11:36 am

RoginaJack wrote:The BRNO, a very good gun too.
With mine I've got full choke (top barrell) and 1/2 choke bottom barrell. If I call the feral dog(s)/ fox(s) into 15-25yds, use the bottom barrell - wider pattern/spread of shot; should they hang around 40-50 yds give them the top barrell, tighter group for longer range.
The shotgun fixed chokes are usually Full,modified, improved cylinder and full cylinder.
Have a look at this, will give you a better idea AND don't use slugs in choked barrels...

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct= ... 7887131091

G'day RJ

On the subject of slugs and choke, my old Sportco Model 80 12g has a full choke, .696 inch diameter, and I have fired many slugs through him over 37 years from really old paper Brennekes to modern Brennekes and others.
The interweb seems to give me a pretty even mix of opinions varying from "it's perfectly fine" to "it's suicidal lunacy". Also that's the web, if you look for it you can find someone saying something you want to hear.
What is the reason, in your view, for avoiding them?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 05 Jul 2018, 2:55 pm

Hi Gaznazdiak, Just modern cartridges in older firearms with full chokes.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 05 Jul 2018, 3:20 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Hi Gaznazdiak, Just modern cartridges in older firearms with full chokes.

:thumbsup:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by pete1 » 07 Jul 2018, 6:30 pm

brno2.jpg
brno2.jpg (437.09 KiB) Viewed 5638 times

brno1.jpg
brno1.jpg (426.24 KiB) Viewed 5638 times

brno3.jpg
brno3.jpg (443.11 KiB) Viewed 5638 times
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 07 Jul 2018, 7:20 pm

Looks nice pete... :thumbsup:

The the butt stock looks like its a young piece of timber so its probably soft meaning it'll dent easy...(that also means its easier to remove dents if its ever refurbished).

A bargain...keen to see it in a few pics with some fur or feathers...!! :clap:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 07 Jul 2018, 7:42 pm

one barrel shoots a tighter pattern than the other
must be buggered
I'll do you a favour and take it off your hands
real cheap ;) :sarcasm:

seriously, nice buy pete1 :thumbsup:
and as Stix said shoot the wider pattern first
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 08 Jul 2018, 11:09 am

Stix wrote:Looks nice pete... :thumbsup:

The the butt stock looks like its a young piece of timber so its probably soft meaning it'll dent easy...(that also means its easier to remove dents if its ever refurbished).

Help if i didn't miss couldn't believe it when i missed a fox the other night, pattern was a bit tighter then i expected, might have go have some practice, any excuse will do haha.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 08 Jul 2018, 1:48 pm

pete1 wrote:
Stix wrote:Looks nice pete... :thumbsup:

Help if i didn't miss couldn't believe it when i missed a fox the other night, pattern was a bit tighter then i expected, might have go have some practice, any excuse will do haha.

Dam...!!!
Try shoulder the gun as you would on that fox but do it with your eyes closed against a blank wall with no pattern, then open your eyes & see where the bead is & how much of the rib you can/cannot see...
Dont cheat & try to NOT correct yourself each time, just do this honestly & naturally to get a good idea if the stock fits you.

You may find every time the barrel is pointed in one direction, or that its direction varies randomly.

Also do it with the same thickness of clothes on that you hunt in.

If it doesnt fit you, you'll have to be aware of it & learn to shoot with it...
Or send over here...ill outbid marksman & go $350 for it... :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 08 Jul 2018, 1:54 pm

Just to add...(& apologies if you already know) but it looks like a sporter or field stock so you should in theory & ideally "just" be able to see a bit of the top of the rib when mounted if the drop of stock fits you.

You could also try pattern it to get an idea where it shoots. :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pete1 » 08 Jul 2018, 4:10 pm

Yeh have some old plaster i was gunna use to see the pattern and how much spread it had in both barrels. but haven't had time to do that yet.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 20 Oct 2018, 3:42 am

If you take the barrels off they should be marked with the choke. I think BRNO used a metric system similar to 17.6 (mm), 17.8(mm) etc. or it may be a series of *, **, *** etc. In any case it would be pretty simple to work out what choke was in what barrel and I generally shoot the more open choke first with the idea that whatever I'm shooting at is probably wanting to put distance between it and me.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 21 Oct 2018, 3:33 pm

Does anyone know what company manufactured shotguns for BRNO or did they make them in-house. I know the CZ (formerly BRNO) have at least some of their shotguns manufactured by Huglu in Turkey.
After further research it looks like the BRNO guns were manufactured in-house and have a reputation for being very well built.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by pete1 » 28 Oct 2018, 10:08 am

Diamond Jim wrote:Does anyone know what company manufactured shotguns for BRNO or did they make them in-house. I know the CZ (formerly BRNO) have at least some of their shotguns manufactured by Huglu in Turkey.
After further research it looks like the BRNO guns were manufactured in-house and have a reputation for being very well built.

I can say for this one is very good quality, rabbits don't like it though, i would defiantly buy another, but not sure on the story od one timber been dark the other light say its been replaced at some point.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.