Howa hcr

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Howa hcr

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 06 Jul 2018, 9:46 am

I see many ppl have howa rifles, but not finding much info on the hcr, apart from a few videos and the article in the ssaa magazine.

Anyway I was at my local gun shop and talking to them about the lithgow and hcr... and they told me that the package (hcr + scope) is cheaper than the rifle alone, considering the hcr is nearly half price to the 105 and no idea when the 105 will be available if I order now...I put a deposit on the hcr, now waiting on the PTA to be approved. Hopefully can pickup next week. Btw got it in hipster 65creedmore caliber.

Now I need to workout what I need for reloading 65creed. More so powder (2209?) And projectiles etc.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Re: Howa hcr

Post by in2anity » 06 Jul 2018, 9:57 am

Ziad wrote:I see many ppl have howa rifles, but not finding much info on the hcr, apart from a few videos and the article in the ssaa magazine.

Anyway I was at my local gun shop and talking to them about the lithgow and hcr... and they told me that the package (hcr + scope) is cheaper than the rifle alone, considering the hcr is nearly half price to the 105 and no idea when the 105 will be available if I order now...I put a deposit on the hcr, now waiting on the PTA to be approved. Hopefully can pickup next week. Btw got it in hipster 65creedmore caliber.

Now I need to workout what I need for reloading 65creed. More so powder (2209?) And projectiles etc.

What length barrel?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 06 Jul 2018, 10:06 am

24inch
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 06 Jul 2018, 10:16 am

Ziad wrote:24inch

Me thinks AR2209 is the correct starting choice. Especially If it were a 20", AR2208 would be worth experimenting with. Depending on how deep down the rabbit warren you want to go, you could do ladder testing on both.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 06 Jul 2018, 10:22 am

2209 is the goto powder Although I have used AR2206H just as successfully which means 2208 will work as well. 2209 gives more velocity for lower pressure and should be alright in a 24 inch barrel. if you see big fire balls out the muzzle move up to a faster powder. The projectile weights well 120-123 grn are very accurate target loads. Also being used are the 139-140 grn they don't seem to be any better than the lower weight projectiles. I am also using the 143 ELDX which shoots pretty good as also as well as being a hunting load.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 06 Jul 2018, 10:53 am

I should have noted, its primarily a target rifle, I have 2208 as that's what i use in my 308. Sp if I can use 2208 then that's best, otherwise I have to buy 2209
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 06 Jul 2018, 10:59 am

Ziad wrote:I should have noted, its primarily a target rifle, I have 2208 as that's what i use in my 308. Sp if I can use 2208 then that's best, otherwise I have to buy 2209

Well in that case I'd just start on 2208 then - I"m sure you'll be able to get her to sing. You planning on shooting any comp with it? If so, what type of comp? The reason I ask is the type of comp really dictates the required degree of load-tuning.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 06 Jul 2018, 12:20 pm

Nope, at the moment just range
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 06 Jul 2018, 12:43 pm

Ziad wrote:Nope, at the moment just range

Ok just keep it simple then IMO, find your load then focus on technique :thumbsup:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Miniaction » 06 Jul 2018, 6:27 pm

They are a great rifle. I've got one with the 26 inch threaded barrel. Furtherest I've taken it out to is 450 and it did slightly over moa using factory 143 ELD-X.

not reloading at the moment but one day.

There is a 6.5 creedmoor forum that has heaps of the reload data.
Miniaction
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 06 Jul 2018, 6:39 pm

I would suggest trying the Lapua Scenar 123 grn bullets. I think you will be really please with the results you are able to achieve with these 2208 no problem. Personally I think the Lapua, Sierra and Berger are better bullets than the Hornady. I know there are probably more people that use the Hornady but whether they have done comparative tests and weighed and measured a lot of them or just been told or read it off the internet I don't know.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Jul 2018, 8:13 pm

People find Bergers hard to get. The Sierra hunting bullet is the Game King and people probably want to use a 140 grain projectile. The old Amax was a great performer and shooters who used it and like it have turned to the ELDX. If the others are better bullets I am not sure if it is how they work on game because the Hornady's work very well. I agree that there is a lot more variation on ogive length with the Hornady but with a bit of batching you can get them shooting under half an inch in most cases. Just my take on it.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles