tikka ctr vs sauer 100xt

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

tikka ctr vs sauer 100xt

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 21 Jul 2018, 7:36 pm

Hi Guys

Had an order in for a Tikka superlite 260 as a fallow gun but now not available. My two other choices are tikka ctr 243 and sauer 100 243. walkaround/hide style hunting not walking all day so I think the heavier tikka should not be a prob. I plan to put a 2-7x33 scop on.

Anyone have a preference for either? I have a 308 for pigs/red deer etc and a 223 for foxes and goats. I wouldve preferred the tikka ss in 260 but anyhow...

Cheers

Steve
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: tikka ctr vs sauer 100xt

Post by Bigjobss » 21 Jul 2018, 9:04 pm

Just use the 308.
Bigjobss

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 21 Jul 2018, 9:29 pm

Stick with the tikka great rifles out of the box, what ever way you go. Have a mate that has a sauer shoots well however he has had some feeding issues. Last thing anyone wants to find out on a hunting trip.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 23 Jul 2018, 8:32 am

Love my tikka t3x superlite.
Even though you may not be hiking all day, the CTR weighs a fair bit more and the mags are crazy exxy.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 23 Jul 2018, 12:09 pm

Tikka superlite in .243 or 7-08 then...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 23 Jul 2018, 6:18 pm

Yep - Ive changed the PTA - first off will "settle" for 243 - that's what I changed the new cal to as 260 is not avail in superlite T3X only T3 so maybe opt for the superlite - T3x 243 - with a redfield 2-7x33 it should weigh under 7lbs. My Howa scoped mini action 223 is 8ish and my bedded Howa1500 scoped 308 is 10lbs!
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 23 Jul 2018, 7:01 pm

Can’t go wrong with a 243, one of my favourite cals, 1 x 100 grain soft point into the engine room convincingly drops Red stags dead on the spot out past 200 so wouldn’t have a problem doing what you want it to do, I haven’t been fortunate enough to hunt fallow but I’d reckon the 243 would be ideal for putting them down, even out to a reasonable distance if you so desire.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 23 Jul 2018, 7:09 pm

My t3x 7mm rem mag with leupold 3-9 checks in at 3.1kg.
243 would be a couple of inches shorter and maybe even sub 3kg.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 23 Jul 2018, 7:26 pm

Yep thanks for the advice - if you spend too much time on other (mainly US ) forums you can start believing you need a 300 win mag at least if you want to get those 700 yard kills. In reality I shot my last deer at 60! I wont take a shot over 200 metres - that's my ethical limit (plus I'm not a great shot). It was 30m when I used to bowhunt.
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 23 Jul 2018, 8:16 pm

Yeah most of the time your shots would be within the 100 metres range but I don’t have a problem going out a bit further for pigs and reds with the 243 if need be, fallow aren’t as big and solid so it’s a no brainer there.
The last 2 reds I shot were 219 and a bit over 200 metres moving away when tagged with the range finder, they both dropped solid and didn’t even so much as kick when they hit the ground.
Both hit in the shoulder broadside, (within 10-20 mins of each other) with the second slight quartering away moving at walking pace, the bullet passed through the other side and left a fair exit wound smashing through bone on the way in and out, was quite a mess actually with a bit of meat wasted. Makes a mess of small to medium pigs, I won’t mention what it does to foxes.... :shock: :o
I have a 308 that in some people’s opinion might do a better job (they’d be right to a degree) but I just love the 243 for some reason and it gets the job done right, if it didn’t I’d step up to the 308.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 23 Jul 2018, 9:29 pm

Hi Pythonkeeper
Ive heard bullet selection is critical with 243. What do you prefer on deer?
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 23 Jul 2018, 10:11 pm

I’m far from an expert on the subject so take it with a grain of salt, but all I use are 100 grain soft points, factory rolled Federal power-shok, 100 grain OSA, 100 grain Remington core-lokt, they all shoot well out of my rifle with virtually the same poi so no need to adjust scope for a particular brand. I run a Lithgow LA102.
I’ve shot the 90 grain PPU through it also and that stuff shoots very accurate through my rifle, I haven’t used it for hunting yet but will in the future, it’s cheap to buy too which is a bonus.
I would think some of the lighter projectile factory ammo would work fine too, particularly if we’re talking fallow and your average pigs etc..
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 25 Jul 2018, 4:18 pm

6.5x55?
Well priced supalite here $700
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=130862
Bigjobss

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 25 Jul 2018, 9:12 pm

Looks like a good deal. Does anyone know the procedure for buying interstate? Do I pay the dealer in NSW the asking price and get it shpped to a dealer here in Qld and they hold it until my PTA clears? Are dealers happy to do that? There's a dealer here I like who has a store for fee service.
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 25 Jul 2018, 9:15 pm

BTW - never bought sight unseen. Says rifle has done only 20 rounds only at the range! Is this the firearm equivalent of "only driven tio church on Sundays"?

What would be the best course of action to check it out prior to sale?

Cheers
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 26 Jul 2018, 11:54 am

Yes you can get anything from the 20 round count up to ? best to call and speak to the person if possible try and get a feel. Yes you pay the seller who ships it to your dealer then you pay him the transferring costs. I use the Sierra 100 grn Gamekings and the 100 grn Prohunters in the 243 they both do a very good job. I also shoot a range of lighter bullets if I am targeting say a fox.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Strangedog » 26 Jul 2018, 10:25 pm

I have a Sauer 100 in .308. Very happy with it, shoots well, nice trigger, nice action, finished well for a budget rifle. The feeding issues mentioned may be this. I have found with mine that if you go to chamber a round slowly,(like to be quiet when stalking and up close), the cartridge may bind a little. If you just work it back and forth a little, like a cm or so it seems to feed and lock up. It is worse if you do it with the barrel pointed skyward. However if you work the bolt fast and positively I have never encountered a problem. I believe that is how a bolt action rifle should be operated anyway. I have had numerous times when shooting at mobs of pigs where I have shot and cycled the bolt fast for four or more shots under pressure and it performed flawlessly. This is the first push feed rifle I have owned and I assumed it was to do with the round not being feed in the controlled round manner. I bought it purely for hunting pigs as it has a five round detachable mag and comes with two if them. Makes cleaning up a mob of pigs a bit easier.
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Jul 2018, 8:37 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Just use the 308.

Great minds think alike, I can't see the point in a 243 if you have a 308 to shoot deer with already :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Centerfire rifles