Centrefire VS Cheap Scope

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Centrefire VS Cheap Scope

Post by 2freeq » 01 Aug 2018, 9:10 pm

So i'm very new to all this and i impulse brought a cheap scope. It's a BSA Quarry King 6-24 x 56 with the intentions of putting it on my next rifle. Problem is i have been looking at getting a .270 and it was mentioned to me on facebook that the scope will not hold up to a .270 and the recoil will damage it quickly. Is this true? It was cheap so i'm not losing too much but thought i'd check here if you think it's even worth mounting on the .270.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Centrefire VS Cheap Scope

Post by tom604 » 01 Aug 2018, 9:14 pm

recoil can kill scopes but as you say it was cheap so why not,you never know it could last for years :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by ponkychonk » 01 Aug 2018, 9:34 pm

Dunno about that scope, but putting a s**ty optic on anything above a .22 is a crime in my books
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by Gaznazdiak » 01 Aug 2018, 9:37 pm

The BSA Quarry King is air rifle rated so, I imagine, it shouldn't be bothered by the .270.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php ... uarry-king
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 01 Aug 2018, 9:45 pm

Thanks for the replies. I guess we will see what happens.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 01 Aug 2018, 9:57 pm

Dont cheap out on optics.
Bigjobss

Post by marksman » 01 Aug 2018, 10:43 pm

air rifle rated should hold up to a 270 but may not be good enough to hold zero :unknown:
you already have it, give it a go, you may be surprised :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 02 Aug 2018, 6:35 am

If you shoot only a few rounds a year then even a cheapy Chinese scope should hold up OK for many years provided you are lucky enough to get one that does not contain a serious constructional defect to start with.
If on the other hand you are liable to shoot thousands of rounds a year the quality of workmanship of rice paddy robots becomes apparent sooner than you may hope for.
Now don't misinterpret what I have said. Just about all scopes will eventually succumb to repeated heavy recoil. It's just that higher quality scopes will last far longer.
The failure points will invariably be anything that is designed to or can move within the scope or anything that hasn't been secured sufficiently.
So it then follows that a fixed power scope will be less liable to fail due to fewer internal elements but try and find a decent new fixed power scope these days.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by YoungBuck » 02 Aug 2018, 11:05 am

It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by 2freeq » 02 Aug 2018, 4:21 pm

Thanks for the input. I'm going to stick it on and use it till i'm not impressed with it anymore. Cheers
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Aug 2018, 4:31 pm

Your the guinea pig see how it goes I guess. Not sure why one would want such a high mag scope on a 270 but ya got it so give it a go and let us know how it holds up. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 2freeq » 02 Aug 2018, 6:57 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Your the guinea pig see how it goes I guess. Not sure why one would want such a high mag scope on a 270 but ya got it so give it a go and let us know how it holds up. :thumbsup:

Your right... I should buy a higher calibre rifle to go with my new scope. Good thinking :drinks:
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Aug 2018, 9:51 pm

I may suggest a 6.5 creedmore. It's hoyt less recoil so this scope might last longer
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Archie » 03 Aug 2018, 8:25 am

2freeq wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Your the guinea pig see how it goes I guess. Not sure why one would want such a high mag scope on a 270 but ya got it so give it a go and let us know how it holds up. :thumbsup:

Your right... I should buy a higher calibre rifle to go with my new scope. Good thinking :drinks:

Not quite sure if you're joking, but if not, that's not really what he meant. I think the problem you're more likely to have is that the bottom range (x6) is too high, but of course depends on what you're doing with it. If it's hunting, then imo it's way too high as a bottom end range because you'll often struggle to acquire the target.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 03 Aug 2018, 9:14 am

it's purely a bench rest target rifle. I was half joking half not about the calibre as i'm not set on a .270. Going to gun shop tomorrow to have a look and see what catches my eye.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by keenstalking22 » 03 Aug 2018, 2:22 pm

2freeq wrote:it's purely a bench rest target rifle. I was half joking half not about the calibre as i'm not set on a .270. Going to gun shop tomorrow to have a look and see what catches my eye.

Well can I just say I wouldnt buy a calibre you dont want out of fear for the scope, it is a cheap scope so let run until it stuffs up on you or until you want something better.
keenstalking22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by sungazer » 03 Aug 2018, 3:31 pm

If you plan on doing any competitive BR type events you really should go and check out a club and talk to the guys and see what they are using.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles