Mauser M18, looks like a very good budget rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Mauser M18, looks like a very good budget rifle

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Oct 2019, 8:06 pm

SHV wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
SHV wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Have you given it a run on the pigs yet?

not yet, we know a farm which got plenty hog but it's too far away, 10 hour drive from Syd...

That's a shame mate, hopefully you find something a little closer hey. :thumbsup:

thanks, actually I don't really enjoy killing even pest, more fun for me to shoot 1,25L bottle filled with water :D

Fair enough mate, enjoy killing the 1.25lt bottle :D :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 01 Oct 2019, 8:34 pm

A bit of vertical going on there, I can see that you may have some aiming errors using an aimpoint even at 50 metres but something else is causing the vertical. Try and place your rifle in the same place in what ever rest you are using. Have you removed your rear sling swivel?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 01 Oct 2019, 8:49 pm

Sweet looking set up mate, hopefully an outing isn't too far away.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 01 Oct 2019, 9:39 pm

Bill wrote:Sweet looking set up mate, hopefully an outing isn't too far away.

SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 01 Oct 2019, 10:04 pm

SCJ429 wrote:A bit of vertical going on there, I can see that you may have some aiming errors using an aimpoint even at 50 metres but something else is causing the vertical. Try and place your rifle in the same place in what ever rest you are using. Have you removed your rear sling swivel?

those are using 3-9x40 scope factory ammo and some not serious reloading test @ indoor 50M bench rest
feels hard to get sub MOA or repeat the good results compares to other rifles I have and I got a spare Aimpoint H2 2MOA so decide to set up the bolt pig gun :D

this rifle kicks hard with normal 3-9x40 scope set up, and kind of heat sensitive, I don't have the patient to do the serious accuracy test wait 5 to 10 minutes between the shot and after 3 to 5 shot can not hold the shoulder shake...

only did one 5 shot factory ammo test wait enough time to cool the barrel and get a little rest, it seems accuracy got some improvement although the last shot is a flyer for some reason.

remove the rear sling swivel? good idea ,I'll try next time, thanks

161329onnq6no3nmjzoz8m.jpeg
161329onnq6no3nmjzoz8m.jpeg (408.37 KiB) Viewed 5191 times
Last edited by SHV on 02 Oct 2019, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Oct 2019, 7:56 am

The sling swivel gets hung up in your bag and stops the rifle recoiling straight back which can cause vertical. It is harder to read groups at 50 metres. The second group looks better, was it shot slower with a cooler barrel?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 02 Oct 2019, 10:59 pm

SCJ429 wrote:The sling swivel gets hung up in your bag and stops the rifle recoiling straight back which can cause vertical. It is harder to read groups at 50 metres. The second group looks better, was it shot slower with a cooler barrel?

don't have the thing to measure muzzle velocity :(
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 02 Oct 2019, 11:06 pm

just came back form St Mary's to test the Aimpoint, very happy with the results :lol:

after bore sight the first two shot is far right group, adjust few click the middle 2, then the third 2 shot group is a bit over, turn back 2 clicks to finish the zeroing...

1O2A8061.JPG
1O2A8061.JPG (415.74 KiB) Viewed 5146 times
Last edited by SHV on 02 Oct 2019, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 02 Oct 2019, 11:09 pm

after zeroing the Aimpoint 3 shot group done by me :lol:
1O2A8069.JPG
1O2A8069.JPG (493.07 KiB) Viewed 5146 times
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 02 Oct 2019, 11:10 pm

a mate sitting next to me tested the M18 and Aimpoint after a little chat, here is the 3 shot group done by him, this is amazing!!!

1O2A8066.JPG
1O2A8066.JPG (470.63 KiB) Viewed 5145 times
Last edited by SHV on 02 Oct 2019, 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 02 Oct 2019, 11:17 pm

I let him put signature on it just in case some one don't believe it :lol: actually if I didn't see it maybe I don't believe it too, never thought the 2MOA Aimpoint can do this :lol: :lol: :lol:

shooting the M18 with Aimpoint feels quite different, it feels simple, sharp and kind of comfortable although it kicks really hard...
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Oct 2019, 8:59 am

[quote="Bill"

M18 is threaded barrel mate. Basically a 5 shot Moa rifle for sub $900.

You'd be lucky to get a gunsmith to fit/profile a barrel half as accurate as that in this country......[/quote]

Are you able to clarify this Bill? Any number of gunsmiths in this country can build you a rifle that will shoot in the 0.1s.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 03 Oct 2019, 9:38 am

1O2A8087.JPG
1O2A8087.JPG (874.9 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 03 Oct 2019, 9:39 am

1O2A8079.JPG
1O2A8079.JPG (877.51 KiB) Viewed 4968 times
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Oct 2019, 10:17 am

SCJ429 wrote:[quote="Bill"

You'd be lucky to get a gunsmith to fit/profile a barrel half as accurate as that in this country......

Are you able to clarify this Bill? Any number of gunsmiths in this country can build you a rifle that will shoot in the 0.1s.[/quote]

I reckon without a plastic trigger, they could perhaps even stretch to 6 shot Moa lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bill » 03 Oct 2019, 11:57 am

Clarify what mate ?? whats the 0.1s reference too ?

since the trigger works so well, I might just dip also my steel triggers in liquid plastic for more accuracy :drinks:

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Oct 2019, 12:37 pm

Bill wrote:Clarify what mate ?? whats the 0.1s reference too ?

since the trigger works so well, I might just dip also my steel triggers in liquid plastic for more accuracy :drinks:

You said you would be lucky to get a gunsmith in this country to fit a barrel half as accurate.

The 0.1 is of an inch at 100 yards.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 03 Oct 2019, 3:37 pm

Never heard 0.1 in reference to 1 moa, now ya talking inches and yards.... :lol:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Oct 2019, 4:55 pm

SCJ429 wrote:[quote="Bill"

You'd be lucky to get a gunsmith to fit/profile a barrel half as accurate as that in this country......

Are you able to clarify this Bill? Any number of gunsmiths in this country can build you a rifle that will shoot in the 0.1s.[/quote]

I still don't understand what you were trying to say? It reads that a gunsmith in this country cannot fit a barrel that will shoot half as good as this factory rifle.

I am saying that we have some very talented gunsmiths who can fit a barrel to an action and have you shooting 0.1 of an inch or 0.1 MOA if than makes more sense to you.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Oct 2019, 5:28 pm

He owns one mate. It’s therefore a fantastic factory rifle, that any gunsmith would struggle to better...
Yeah Bill?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bill » 03 Oct 2019, 7:27 pm

Cmon tassie I was just point the obvious that a quality barrel + gunsmithing + your existing action is going to cost more than 900.

Each to there own mate the Mauser my not be too your liking but its got some nice features. :drinks:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Oct 2019, 7:34 pm

Bill wrote:Cmon tassie I was just point the obvious that a quality barrel + gunsmithing + your existing action is going to cost more than 900.

Each to there own mate the Mauser my not be too your liking but its got some nice features. :drinks:

If there’s anyone on here, who has not sung the praises of a rifle they have purchased and got shooting well....then they are quite possibly telling fibs. Can’t put anything on a rifle that shoots as or better than advertised...but geez, why did they use licorice for a trigger :sarcasm:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Oct 2019, 7:48 pm

I have been surprised how well my factory Tikka barrels shoot and hopefully your Mauser shoots as well or near enough to this standard. I still wouldn't like to compare them with barrels made by Maddco, Benchmark or Kreiger.

Yes a barrel from one of these manufactures will cost as much as your Mauser by the time you have it chambered and fitted to your action. Chances are that you will have a better result from these hand lapped barrels with usually tighter chamber tolerances that your gunsmith will set you up with.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 03 Oct 2019, 8:31 pm

Folks,
quite a few makers harp on about the SUB MOA guarantee - be it 3 shots or 5 shots using premium ammunition from a cold barrel at 100 yards . What many folk dont understand is the conditions that these guarantees are shot under - usually in a testing tunnel with no external influences and with either - 1) the barelled action clamped to a test bed and the trigger electronically or mechanically pulled - or 2) the entire rifle clamped to a benchrest. At no point in time will a shooter be holding the rifle .

Yes some makers do still test shoot rifles in controlled conditions as a matter of proof testing but for accuracy testing - the human element is taken out of the test and only the trigger is the contact point that the human may exert a force upon.

C
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Oct 2019, 8:50 pm

solarpak wrote:Folks,
quite a few makers harp on about the SUB MOA guarantee - be it 3 shots or 5 shots using premium ammunition from a cold barrel at 100 yards . What many folk dont understand is the conditions that these guarantees are shot under - usually in a testing tunnel with no external influences and with either - 1) the barelled action clamped to a test bed and the trigger electronically or mechanically pulled - or 2) the entire rifle clamped to a benchrest. At no point in time will a shooter be holding the rifle .

Yes some makers do still test shoot rifles in controlled conditions as a matter of proof testing but for accuracy testing - the human element is taken out of the test and only the trigger is the contact point that the human may exert a force upon.

C

A little while ago - I purchased a steyr pro hunter in 30/06 that had a 3 shot Moa guarantee. (Details are on here).
No matter what I did, I couldn’t get it to shoot and I invited some others to shoot as well. At one stage, we did get 150gn projectiles shooting but I wanted an 06 to shoot heavier than what my 260 rem can.
So after deliberation and a few prompts from senior members on here...I complained and the rifle was returned.
Winchester utilised a gunsmith - internal range, factory bullets, a Caldwell rest and rack — and results mirrored what I found. 150’s would group but nothing larger.
We agreed that they’d test 5 x pro hunters and as soon as they found one that would group, they’d send me that rifle...after a couple days - they offered me a refund...their gun smith couldn’t get any to group and a formal complaint was sent to Steyr...
So, maybe some guarantees are shady, but despite the roughish path I had to walk, steyr / Winchester backed up theirs...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by solarpak » 03 Oct 2019, 9:00 pm

Tassie,
mate that sucks that the rifle in question couldn't do what you wanted it to do. I had a similar experience years ago with a Howa 7mm-08 with a ultralight barrel that i could not get to behave - despite having it in a decent McMillan stock with alloy pillars - it just wasn't cricket!! To be fair i didn't try hand-loads (i dont hand-load) but the various factory fodder i tried i couldn't get it to shoot better than 2MOA at 100m ...and that was with shooting it slowly as to not overheat the tube.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Stix » 04 Oct 2019, 12:40 am

solarpak wrote:Folks,

C

Hey solarpak...
How the rifle is tested in the factory is largely irrelevant to one of us being able to consistantly shoot moa with that rifle. ..

And...the moa guarantee's are based real life consumer laws, & arent based on the rifle being shot in factory testing conditions for its functional life...

We let manufacturors bully us into thinking that if we shoot 1.5 moa it must be us & our inability...

Personslly, i think we underestimate our ability based on the above...its really not hard for even a novice shooter to shoot a good group with an accurate rifle & ammo combination...
Ive let inexperienced shooters shoot my rifles & pull as good groups as i can, & sometimes even better with only minimal verbal coaching & a good 5 mins of dry firing..

Im just a hunter & ive even beaten a national team long range shooter on his own rifle & ammo with him calling wind for me...

Too many of us are intimidated into keeping less than acceptable firearms & related products these days because were led to believe we're inadequate, when we should demand more of an explanation than "you need to practice more" & "you need to work on your technique" ...esoecially given the costs involved in purchasing various lots of factory ammo the other costs associated in testing.

We should be encouraged to chsllenge these guarantees when we can't produce them ourselves...afterall, thst is what consumer protection laws are there for
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bill » 04 Oct 2019, 8:08 am

Tassie Tiger I learnt a long time ago that when buying a rifle whether its new or used, go in with low expectations. Then expect to have to fix known issues to get it to shoot, ie trigger bedding, lapping lugs etc

however recently Ive noticed some brand rifles just come ready and other that had a previous history of accuracy have done the cost cutting thing and their products now mean alot of unsatisfied customer.

Just this week I would have spent 4 hrs working on a 2018/2019 Ruger, it needed 5 mins work on the trigger, 10 mins opening up the barrel channel with some sand paper and about 3hr lapping the lugs with moly grease. 5 shots went consistently into 10-15mm at 50m yesterday, had a few cloverleafs and with a little more polishing It should be a consistent shooter with cheap factory ammo.

It musta taken you alot of courage to come out and admit owning a new Steyr :lol:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Oct 2019, 8:18 am

what’s wrong with steyrs?
This was shot from my 223 steyr...with - over emphasising, sarcastic voice - a steel and set trigger!!
I’m sure your Mauser will shoot as well, if not better, but reckon that plastic appendage they call a trigger needs fixing first... :oops:
Attachments
BE175C92-1027-4D29-ACF1-C626A6ADD784.jpeg
BE175C92-1027-4D29-ACF1-C626A6ADD784.jpeg (777.89 KiB) Viewed 4601 times
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bill » 04 Oct 2019, 8:37 am

thats a good group and what Id expect from a steyr barrels, hows the rest of the gun holding up ??

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles