M1904 Portuguese Mauser 6.5x58mm

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: M1904 Portuguese Mauser 6.5x58mm

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2019, 2:02 pm

10,952ha. now and 40 vehicles attending.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 06 Jan 2019, 6:12 pm

Hope they get it under control soon mate.
Shoot straight you bastards, don’t make a mess of it
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2019, 7:09 pm

JimTom wrote:Hope they get it under control soon mate.

Fire seems to have settled a little bit, still growing but not as quickly.
It's grown by 2000 acres since yesterday morning when only thirteen vehicles were involved. They lost a vehicle yesterday but the crew got out.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 06 Jan 2019, 7:13 pm

Sounds like they need some aircraft to help. Pray for rain.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2019, 7:56 pm

Another 300ha. in the last few hours.
Attachments
Rose Fire.JPG
Rose Fire.JPG (460.42 KiB) Viewed 165 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jan 2019, 10:05 am

Still growing.
Attachments
Rosedale fire.JPG
Rosedale fire.JPG (524.82 KiB) Viewed 158 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 07 Jan 2019, 10:50 am

bladeracer wrote:Still growing.

Looks like a nasty fire bladeracer. :thumbsdown:
Hopefully they'll get it contained soon. Is there much pine forest around there or is that more towards . Longford??
(Trying to remember the layout from when dad was based at east sale for a short term.)
Best of luck with it! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jan 2019, 11:54 am

Daddybang wrote:Looks like a nasty fire bladeracer. :thumbsdown:
Hopefully they'll get it contained soon. Is there much pine forest around there or is that more towards . Longford??
(Trying to remember the layout from when dad was based at east sale for a short term.)
Best of luck with it! :thumbsup: :drinks:

Mostly native bush I think, state forest and national park. Pine plantations are between us and the fire. We've been testing the fire control systems today.
Willung just got an emergency warning, that's getting closer to us.
Attachments
Willung fire.JPG
Willung fire.JPG (536.87 KiB) Viewed 152 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jan 2019, 7:42 pm

Sizing.30-06 down to 6.5mm is a good workout!
Attachments
20190107_201011b.jpg
20190107_201011b.jpg (458.12 KiB) Viewed 143 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 08 Jan 2019, 12:00 am

That's a fair old modification of the brass mate. I have never had a cartridge that I have had to do it for.
Just out of curiosity mate, does this have any adverse effect on the longevity of the brass?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Jan 2019, 5:27 am

G'day JimTom,
The brass lasts as long as most commercial offerings if it is annealed during resizing and regularly in use. I would like to know what your loss rate is, bladeracer, as I was losing 3/10 during resizing for my M1904, mostly using Winchester brass. Fortunately had a lot donated to me and was making 8mm out of it when the Vergueiro came along so I still ended up with 100 good cases, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2019, 1:53 pm

JimTom wrote:That's a fair old modification of the brass mate. I have never had a cartridge that I have had to do it for.
Just out of curiosity mate, does this have any adverse effect on the longevity of the brass?

I don't think it has any effect on longevity as it's actually making the neck wall thicker.
It's virtually identical to making 6.5x54R out of .303 brass, except the length of the .30-06 means you're pushing the shoulder back into the thicker wall of the case. I may have to turn the necks but they look okay so far.
I have the shoulder back to spec now but it still won't chamber, I think the long neck is bottoming in the throat and it'll be fine once I trim 7mm off it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2019, 2:04 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day JimTom,
The brass lasts as long as most commercial offerings if it is annealed during resizing and regularly in use. I would like to know what your loss rate is, bladeracer, as I was losing 3/10 during resizing for my M1904, mostly using Winchester brass. Fortunately had a lot donated to me and was making 8mm out of it when the Vergueiro came along so I still ended up with 100 good cases, Cheers.

I lost my first case which was very disappointing...until I replaced the bullet seating die with the sizing die :oops: :-)

I'm running new Winchester .30-06 through the 6.5x50mm FLS die maybe eight times, lubing each time. The .30-06 case head is bigger than the 6.5x50mm though so most of the effort is in sizing the case head down a few thou...and people say the Lee press isn't strong enough to FLS rifle brass :-)

I'm not expecting to lose many as it's sizing very nicely. I did that one last night as I had just finished doing a batch of .303 into 6.5x54R, also no losses.

What die do you use to size the brass for yours?

The guy that assisted me in finding and getting the rifles was making brass for another one a couple weeks back. He gave up on the .30-06 as it wasn't going well. He switched to .270 brass with better results, but he was using RCBS 6.5x58mm dies. I might order another set of 6.5x50mm dies and modify them to 6.5x58mm.

I want to also try some 8x57mm brass to see whether it's any better than the .30-06, but all my 8x57mm is currently loaded so I'll have to do some shooting...bugger!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NAHMINT II » 19 Jan 2019, 1:01 pm

Greetings from Vancouver island,British-Columbia ,CANADA.
I have been shooting my 6.5x58 for a number of years.....its a fine,well built firearm......
firstly, have a look at the ''bolt re. & re. " on u tube.(video by DIOPTLER)......it will save you much frustration !!!!!
I use .270 ,and .30-06 brass to ''reform '' brass to 6.5x58........ I tried .25 -06 with dismal results.....
I have a set of C-H Custom dies to preform the task.......they are a little difficult to find.......
couple tricks so you do NOT get neck creases because of excess lube on case neck/shoulders...... once formed, the cases work well.
the only place they seem to be seen to any degree is SOUTH AFRICA.... cheers NAHMINT II
Last edited by NAHMINT II on 20 Jan 2019, 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAHMINT II
Private
Private

Canada

Post by NAHMINT II » 20 Jan 2019, 4:51 am

A place for ''new'' 6.5x58mm Portuguese mauser brass.....is AV BALLASTICS, in BRISBANE Au.
is was selling for $66 -50 cases or $121 -100 cases in AU. Dollars............if you don't have x58PM dies,or don,t want to
reform brass,this is the way to go......the owner ,known on many shooting sites is ''DOC AV''... I have found him to be very helpfull and he knows his stuff !
cheers NAHMINT II
NAHMINT II
Private
Private

Canada

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jan 2019, 6:00 am

NAHMINT II wrote:A place for ''new'' 6.5x58mm Portuguese mauser brass.....is AV BALLASTICS, in BRISBANE Au.
is was selling for $66 -50 cases or $121 -100 cases in AU. Dollars............if you don't have x58PM dies,or don,t want to
reform brass,this is the way to go......the owner ,known on many shooting sites is ''DOC AV''... I have found him to be very helpfull and he knows his stuff !
cheers NAHMINT II

Yes, I have ordered from DocAV, but he's very slow.
His brass is not new Portuguese though, it's just formed out of military .30-06 brass, same as I'm doing myself.
After discussing it with him he was going to have a head stamp made to add 6.5P to the cases but I haven't heard back from him for some months now.
I'm using 6.5x50mm dies, although I'm thinking of buying another set and modifying them to more closely fit the 6.5x58mm case.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by BaronBoy » 12 Feb 2019, 8:36 pm

OK, this looks like the only thread dealing with Mannlicher Schonauer rifles that I could find so I will tack my question here hoping someone out there may know the answer.

I have just bought a 1903 6.5 x 54 action (actually one of the Italian made under contract to the Greeks version) with the intention of building a sporting rifle. I am looking to replace the trigger and wonder whether anyone has had experience of doing that and what did they find? From my preliminary investigation, the trigger bears some similarity to a Mauser but I haven't one to compare precisely. Over to you.
BaronBoy
Private
Private

Tasmania

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles