Which calibre for first centre fire rifle?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Which calibre for first centre fire rifle?

Post by Atter » 25 Jul 2013, 1:38 pm

Howdy all,

I've been shooting for a little while, but only ever air rifles and rim fire stuff. Shooting paper at 50 metres and so on...

Looking to join the big boys and get my first centrefire rifle :D

I know different calibres are for different things obviously, but I'd like to get a bit of a 'cover-all' situations type rifle without buying a cannon.

I'm keen to get out hunting but will likely be spending most time at the range doing 100m or 200m stuff.

Suggestions?
Tikka T3 Hunter .260 Remington
Tikka T3 Sporter 6.5x55 SE
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Which calibre for first centre fire rifle?

Post by RedMist » 25 Jul 2013, 3:31 pm

Hi Atter,
To properly advise you on which centre fire to acquire, one would need to know what game/vermin you anticipate hunting and over what distances. Any calibre selected must be able to humanely dispatch what you are targeting. Further the type of hunting and terrain you are hunting in can also effect what style of rifle you may purchase.

Do you want a light weight outfit for long walks in "high country", medium sporter weight for general conditions or a heavy varmint style rifle for shooting prone or from a platform, also good for range shooting.

Once these variables are known then considered advice can be given.

Regards Red Mist
RedMist
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Atter » 25 Jul 2013, 3:50 pm

Hi Redmist,

Yeah, sorry my question's a little vague. As I mentioned this will be my first centrefire rifle and it's a bit of an introduction to proper shooting and hunting for me so I can give some new things a try, so I don't really have a "usual" hunt that I need to cater for.

I'd like to get up to some deer hunting around Victoria here, but it's not going to be a weekly thing for me or anything. I see from some other comments that 30-06 is a favourite for deer, but since I'll likely be spending 95% of my time at the range and only the occasional hunt I expect that's a lot of overkill.

A 22 is great for me at the range, but not enough for hunting or longer range shooting. And I don't want to buy a powerful hunting rifle with expensive rounds and heavy recoil to only need that power a few times a year, while making the majority of my time at the range less pleasant.

Obviously there is a whole log between those 2 examples... 204, 223, 243, 257, 270, 308, and on and on...

Not experienced at all with this range of stuff, but hopefully looking for some middle ground between shooting paper and reliable hunting if you know what I mean?

Thanks.
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Vati » 25 Jul 2013, 10:11 pm

Sounds like something in the .243 to .308 neighbourhood might be what you're looking for.

One thing to check too though will be legalities in your state.

I think .243 is minimum legal calibre for smaller deer in VIC and 270 is minimum for Rusa and Sambar? Don't take my word on those calibers though, double check that yourself as I'm not sure that's exactly right.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 26 Jul 2013, 12:05 pm

Off the top of my head in VIC I think it's:

.243 with 80gr pills for Chital, Fallow, Hog deer.

.270 wtih 130gr pills for Rusa, Red, Sambar.

Think that's right, couldn't get onto the DPI website at time of posting this but I think it's on their for you to double check.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Atter » 26 Jul 2013, 2:01 pm

Thanks all.

I will look into a .243 or .270 and some possible options :)
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusC » 26 Jul 2013, 3:45 pm

.308 is about as versatile as it comes if you don't mind the recoil.

Suitable for anything you could hunt in Aus, and any gun store you go into is always going to have .308 ammo and accessories in stock.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Norton » 29 Jul 2013, 9:51 am

.243 is a solid calibre. Low recoil, shoots fast and flat. Good range of pills for everything from rabbits to deer.

If the recoil doesn't bother you a .308 or 30-06 will cover you for anything you'll hunt in Australia.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RedMist » 29 Jul 2013, 11:56 pm

Hi Atter,
Please check the required state laws regarding minimum calibre if you wish to take deer legally. Disregarding the minimum calibre required in your state I would strongly suggest that you take a serious look at a .260 Remington calibre.

It has only been out for just over a decade as a factory round and is perhaps one of the best kept ballistic secrets. It is a .308 necked down to 6.5mm from 7.62mm and has amazing qualities. Just Google the facts for yourself.

I have recently traded my Tikka .260 Rem in stainless laminate for a heavy barrelled Sako stainless fluted which I am still testing loads for. The Tikka never let me down once, and my good friend has an identical Tikka .260 which he used on a recent donkey cull up north dispatching 42 of them using Hornady 129 grain SST projectiles.

I dare suggest that when your state laws for minimum calibre a for deer were drafted the .260 Rem was not a factory round therefore it never cracked a mention. The bullet weight ranges from 85 grain varmint style to heavy 160 grain big game bullets, however the Tikka was limited to the 140 grainers due to magazine length.

Do your self a favour and check out the .260, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Regards,
Red Mist.

PS. That is why I used the name Red Mist as when using my Tikka .260 that's all I saw from cat to camels. Good luck with your 1st centre fire adventure.
RedMist
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Atter » 30 Jul 2013, 9:19 am

Thanks Red Mist,

I found on the SSAA website that Lorgar is correct about the calibres for Victoria.

.243 for the 3 smaller deer and 270 for the 3 larger kind.

Having enough gun to get out there and be good for 3 kinds of deer should still be more than enough to start me off though, so I'll have a look into the .260 Rem too.
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles