Lithgow Recall Progress

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Lithgow Recall Progress

Post by Chronos » 02 Sep 2018, 9:03 am

grandadbushy wrote:I don't know what the problem with the Lithgow is but with metal and the craftmanship and engineering as it is today
most mistakes and faults should not happen ( even though it's not a perfect world ) it's just oversight on their part or trying to computerise
machinery too much especially with firearms
They should put more effort and thought into new models before going into production even then some faults take awhile to show their heads
Each time they have a call back or fault it costs bulk money this is why the company tries to distance themselves from it so as to avoid the costs
but as someone on here said the company put their hand up and owned the fault so you have to take your hat off to them
Lets hope they are true to their word and every one gets what they want If not then nobody buy their guns let them know people won't tolerate
the garbage they're trying to pull they'll get the message or go broke Remington learnt the hard way with the faulty trigger in the 700 although they still say it
wasn't the trigger ( who knows )

It’s a materials issue, materials may we’ll have come from a China under the wrong spec or with the wrong labels. There’s almost nothing that can be done and it’s why manufacturers go to the expense of the Quality Assurance programs that make that kind of manufacturing too expensive to undertake in Australia.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 02 Sep 2018, 9:06 am

No1_49er wrote:
Mike Echo wrote:In other words it sounds like they haven't sent a single one back. People on that Facebook page are saying guns have sat at shops for weeks because Lithgow insisted their special boxes be used, which Lithgow didn't send.

I spent a fair bit of $$ on this because I wanted to support an Aussie company. If they had said "our mistake, it will take a month or two to fix" that is one thing but the misleading timeframe really annoys me.

Under Australian consumer law customers are entitled to a refund if a product has a major defect that can't be fixed in a reasonable time. If this drags on for too much longer Lithgow may need to be reminded of that.

You're almost right there.
It might seem a bit harsh but the consumer law holds that the vendor is responsible for the warranty. If there is an issue that warrants further action, it is up to the vendor to take that up with their provider, whether that be a manufacturer or some intermediary.

The vendor is helpless to replace an the supplier can’t provide.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 02 Sep 2018, 10:05 am

Surely the vendor is responsible for a refund if the purchaser wants one...

Thats what id be asking for & buy a rifle that i can actually use.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Mike Echo » 02 Sep 2018, 2:27 pm

Yeah, it sucks for the seller, but they legally are obliged to give you a refund. They can always get a refund from Lithgow.

The ACCC website explicitly says the seller can't fob you off onto the supplier.
Mike Echo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 02 Sep 2018, 8:22 pm

Mike Echo wrote:Yeah, it sucks for the seller, but they legally are obliged to give you a refund. They can always get a refund from Lithgow.

The ACCC website explicitly says the seller can't fob you off onto the supplier.

That may be what the consumer laws say but it’s the supplier that warrants the item. If supplier play the game of not supporting retailers with warranty support the retailers simply won’t sell their stuff.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 02 Sep 2018, 9:35 pm

Well im glad i didnt buy one is all i can say...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Sep 2018, 2:56 am

So then comes the question if Lithgow doesn't honor the warranty ,'' why bother giving loyalty to Australian made ''?
Surely all the fine print of warranty would or should have been sorted before Lithgow took possession of the parts before resale to buyers
Makes you wonder if Lithgow knew there was a possible fault with these rifles , one wouldn't know
If I had bough a new rifle and then had to fix it then when I got it back I most likely would dispose of it I would never feel comfortable with it ( just me I
suppose ) But then most new rifles have some little thing that needs a little tweek at times
Bad metal ,bad engineering, bad, bad ,bad it doesn't matter its new and you have the right to expect the best of what you have payed for
I know batches of steel can be iffy at times as steel has been a big part of my life but there is also checks and balances so as those batches don't get
into the market place easily then if the company making things have eyes on then there is the quality control part
So I say again with the machinery and technology and the eyes on these days things like faults should be very rare and if they do occur then someone
is responsible and it should be the person selling the goods as they have ok'd the item for resale then if they have a problem with that then they take it up
with the manufacturer it shouldn't be left to the purchaser to do so
Member-Deleted

Post by MontyShooter » 03 Sep 2018, 8:45 am

The reason for this recall is quite trivial.
Depends who you believe of course, but from what I've heard, it's all a waste of time...but has to be done.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 03 Sep 2018, 8:48 pm

If the 308 is eventually recalled - i will ask for a refund.
CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 07 Sep 2018, 7:48 am

Sounds like there might be quite a few second hand Lithgow102's up for sale soon... i better start saving...

Actually, anyone doesn't want the headache of the recall process for their 243, I'll give you $300 for your faulty rifle! :lol:

So, how many people went running to the various car dealers for a refund when their car was recalled....?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Chappo » 07 Sep 2018, 8:21 am

Haven’t read here how this affects new Lithgow buyers.
Ordered a new .223 2 months ago and have had a pta for 1.5 months.
I know this recall will mean I have to wait longer and my lgs have already applied to have my pta extended but I can’t get any info as to how long.
Has anyone recently received a new one in any caliber and how long did it take?
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Cryptic » 07 Sep 2018, 8:42 am

Was at local chatting yesterday and he looked up the lithgow on the system and was nothing available to order and no time frame given for new availability.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chappo » 07 Sep 2018, 8:46 am

I just wanna know if I’m gunna have to wait another 2 months or another 6!
Because If it’s anothr 6 I will probably use the pta on something different.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Pythonkeeper » 07 Sep 2018, 1:27 pm

Dropped mine in this morning (243), this is the second time it’s been in for repair, the last time took around 3 months to get it back, there wasn’t a recal on then so I reckon it will be quite a while before I get it back this time.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 07 Sep 2018, 4:44 pm

Well they just posted up a picture on their facebook page of rifles that are done and will be on their way to customers.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2018, 4:53 pm

Gwion wrote:So, how many people went running to the various car dealers for a refund when their car was recalled....?

When my bike was recalled I rode to the dealership (I didn't have to send the bike back to the manufacturer), waited an hour while they replaced the fuel injection hoses, and rode home again.

I knew a Holden mechanic who told me when the Camira's started coming back they just gave them new cars. If Lithgow had any rifles in stock with good barrels they could've done the same.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2018, 4:54 pm

MontyShooter wrote:The reason for this recall is quite trivial.
Depends who you believe of course, but from what I've heard, it's all a waste of time...but has to be done.

If it's trivial then they should give the owners the option of having it done. Personally I'd rather keep my rifle than be without it for months for a triviality.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Sep 2018, 6:32 pm

Please forgive me for asking a stupid question but here goes _____What is actually supposed to be wrong with these rifles? :?
Because if it was something I could fix myself then I wouldn't send it back, like only if it was trivial that is :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2018, 6:40 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Please forgive me for asking a stupid question but here goes _____What is actually supposed to be wrong with these rifles? :?
Because if it was something I could fix myself then I wouldn't send it back, like only if it was trivial that is :thumbsup:

I understand they are putting new barrels on them, but I also haven't seen an actual explanation as to why. I haven't seen any owners complaining about a problem either so it seems to have come from Lithgow themselves upon discovering something. A headspace issue could be corrected but would shorten the barrel slightly under spec. Barrels are not usually heat-treated so I doubt it's that. Maybe they milled some metal away around the chamber area that should not have been done?

I wonder if a large pile of secondhand barrels might soon be available in the market?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2018, 6:59 pm

From the website: http://www.lithgowarms.com/product-recall-la102-crossover-rifle-in-223-rem-calibre/

"What is the defect?
Over time small cracks may develop in the barrel of the LA102 CrossOver rifle in .223 REM calibre.

What are the hazards?
Potential injury from escaping gas from the failed barrel."
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 07 Sep 2018, 7:14 pm

Well there you go sounds like Lithgow has done a wise move for safety and it will be to their credibility for doing so
Cracks in the barrel are not to be taken lightly or even potential cracking I wouldn't take a chance on not having it fixed
too risky
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2018, 7:39 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Well there you go sounds like Lithgow has done a wise move for safety and it will be to their credibility for doing so
Cracks in the barrel are not to be taken lightly or even potential cracking I wouldn't take a chance on not having it fixed
too risky

Yes, doesn't sound very trivial :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chappo » 08 Sep 2018, 12:03 am

My lgs told me that each rifle sent back will have its barrel crack tested and if no fault is found then that particular rifle is not rebarreled and just sent back. He said that under consumer law this is their minimum legal requirement.
If a bad batch of steel has come through the plant then I would think that all barrels should be replaced. On the other hand if a barrel shows no sign of fatigue it seems a waste time and money.

I should point out that this is all heresay and possibly not true.

Anyway their reputation is not tainted in my eyes, what they’ve produced so far seems to slot in fairly high up in the worlds quality scale with a price tag that has made them an easy choice for a lot of proud Aussie’s.

Awww makes you feel all warm inside.
No I don’t work for Lithgow...
Yes I have had a couple of vino’s.....
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by the big man » 14 Sep 2018, 4:08 pm

hey chappo

wanna buy mine when it comes back they have had it for 2.5 months now so maybee sometime soon it might come back i only had it for 2.5 months before i sent it back with less than 100 round through it if interested sure we can work somthing out cheers ps its black on polymer stock
dont let the apprentice touch anything but the broom!!!!
the big man
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by JimTom » 15 Sep 2018, 8:06 am

I received an email in the last day or say detailing that they had completed the rebarrelling of a number of rifles and they were on the way back to their owners.
Making progress at least.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Chappo » 15 Sep 2018, 10:28 pm

the big man wrote:hey chappo

wanna buy mine when it comes back they have had it for 2.5 months now so maybee sometime soon it might come back i only had it for 2.5 months before i sent it back with less than 100 round through it if interested sure we can work somthing out cheers ps its black on polymer stock

Cheers mate,
What’s it chambered in?
Optics?
I’m not a huge fan of synthetic stocks but I’ve had a deposit on a walnut black in .223 for bloody ages and getting frustrated.
Why are you selling?
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by the big man » 16 Sep 2018, 7:10 am

hey chappo

its a 223 armour black on synthetic
i had a bushnell 6x24x50 trophy extreme with a 30mm tube but wanna keep that to put on the next one but rings can go there leupo 30mm selling coz i want nothing else to do with la due to pooooor service :thumbsdown: through this period and will not ever be buying another la just gunna be a tikka only sorta guy :thumbsup:
the big man
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Chappo » 16 Sep 2018, 7:47 am

Yeah big man.
I re read some of your posts. Everything you’ve written on here is about how s**t La is :lol:
. I’m still keen on the one I ordered but I’m thinking about using my pta on a .22 hornet and maybe buying the la102 later but let me know when you get yours back.
My cousin bought the t3 and put it in a Boyd’s thumbhole stock with a meopta 6x24 50.
Very nice gun!
Where are you mate?
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Fwoz » 16 Sep 2018, 8:21 am

Had just decided on a Lithgow in .243 and now this. Disappointing so will wait and see the outcome. Interesting that the Remington 'walker' triggers were mentioned. The 'faults' with their triggers were numerous, understood and covered up for years. The main problem was that they put a target trigger on hunting rifles. To compound it they made the parts out of cheap sheet metal which wore and allowed them to go out of spec. Finally these triggers could be adjusted by users to past the point where the sear remained safely engaged even though the trigger hadn t been pressed. So they could 'trip' at the slightest jolt or even when placing the safety on or off. For anyone interested there is a very good book on it called Unsafe by Design by a US gunsmith if you want all the detail of how negligent Remington were. Lithgow are trying to do the righty at least.
Fwoz
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by the big man » 16 Sep 2018, 8:28 am

im in canberra mate and its truely a great rifle did some load development on it and was shooting a touching hole group on nosler 55g bt with 25gr of 2206h absolutely awsome my only gripe is the disgusting customer service and lack of information after they have told everyone they have qoute the best customer service in Australia according to there site :thumbsdown:
the big man
Recruit
Recruit

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles