Advice on Lever Action

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Advice on Lever Action

Post by in2anity » 22 Aug 2018, 3:34 pm

bladeracer wrote:Exactly.
When you're developing ammo and trying to tighten the groups, it's easier to make judgements with 2MoA groups than 5MoA groups.
Shooter error is in addition to group spread.
I might be able to hold 5MoA offhand, but if my ammo only shoots 5MoA scoped off the bench then I have 10MoA potential. Get the ammo down to 2MoA and I should be able to keep them under 7MoA.

I've plugged a few roos at 200m across irons using my trusty ching sling from kneeling - at that distance (at that sized target), my optimised 2moa load becomes pretty darned important!
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 22 Aug 2018, 4:24 pm

in2anity wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Exactly.
When you're developing ammo and trying to tighten the groups, it's easier to make judgements with 2MoA groups than 5MoA groups.
Shooter error is in addition to group spread.
I might be able to hold 5MoA offhand, but if my ammo only shoots 5MoA scoped off the bench then I have 10MoA potential. Get the ammo down to 2MoA and I should be able to keep them under 7MoA.

I've plugged a few roos at 200m across irons using my trusty ching sling from kneeling - at that distance (at that sized target), my optimised 2moa load becomes pretty darned important!

that's good shooting with opens on a lever bud :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 22 Aug 2018, 6:56 pm

bigrich wrote:that's good shooting with opens on a lever bud :thumbsup:

Cheers br, a stabilizing sling and something to rest your elbow goes a long way :thumbsup: and don’t worry I’ve missed plenty too! Anyways I guess the point is some applications really do demand the most accurate load... which is best obtained using a scope!
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 23 Aug 2018, 4:39 am

Yeh in2anity if ya can’t place a shot properly, yah probably shouldn’t take it. I can’t shoot to quick with open sight these days, gunna give service rifle a go soon but. Bit more time to line things up and if ya do miss, it’s only paper. All my hunting rifles are scoped, but I am careful not to overscope as well. I think if I went down the lever path again, it would be a marlin. For easy cleaning and scope mounting. I’ve got high regard for the Winchester, just not practical for me in usage. :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 23 Aug 2018, 8:56 am

bigrich wrote:Yeh in2anity if ya can’t place a shot properly, yah probably shouldn’t take it.:

The way I see things - this is more applicable to larger game where shot placement can mean the difference between the animal escaping or not (for example sambar). When it comes to varminting (which I categorise grasshoppers under) - an overpowered rifle (like the 30/30) requires only a centre of mass hit to break em down, so shot placement isn't quite as crucial. given these factors, you can therefore gamble a bit more on those trickier shots. I certainly agree that a scope is ultimately the best tool for the job however - I just love the challenge of iron-sited hunting - real sense of nostalgia for me!
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles