Advice on Lever Action

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Advice on Lever Action

Post by Noisydad » 21 Aug 2018, 4:07 pm

I’ll back the advice on original Winnie’s. I got a 1911 built 92 in .44-40 with a 24” barrel off used guns. Looks a little “old” on the outside but shoots good enough with the right sized lead and black powder to win comps. You can pick gems like that for around the 800 mark.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Stix » 22 Aug 2018, 10:11 am

Gamerancher wrote:Try this.
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=132435

If you reload you can load down with 10gr of trailboss behind a cast bullet for cheap, low recoil, accurate plinking or load her up to full house loads for pigs ,goats etc.

Thanks Gamerancher... :thumbsup: i contacted them immediately & it was already sold. :(
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 22 Aug 2018, 10:12 am

I notice no one has mentioned the Henry's or Rossi...im keen on the Wini's but thought id ask how the Henry's & Rossi fair...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 22 Aug 2018, 11:36 am

Both my Rossi and my Mossberg were junk. Flogged the Rossi off owing to deteriorating mental health and bought the 464 Mossberg. Kept it but has cost me money and trouble to fix. Only bought the Rossi to begin with because of all the bad reports about Marlin and the great expense of Japanese take-down Winchesters.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Aug 2018, 11:56 am

Honestly Stix, I don't reckon you could go wrong with something along those lines. Like I mentioned, cheap plinking loads for the .30-30 are easy and the ability to load up to tackle pigs and goats is there if you want it. Haven't had a minutes drama with any of the dozen Winchesters I own, from 120 year old Model '92 through to a 1990's build AE '94. Calibres from .32-20, .30-30, .38-55, .35 Win, .44 mag and .45 Long Colt. I've used them for hunting and competition and they have never let me down. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 Aug 2018, 12:00 pm

Stix wrote:I notice no one has mentioned the Henry's or Rossi...im keen on the Wini's but thought id ask how the Henry's & Rossi fair...?

I still want some Rossi's in .357 and .44, but I bought the Henry .22 and the build quality doesn't impress me.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 22 Aug 2018, 12:17 pm

Thanks guys. :)

Another silly question...but is there anything in particular (such as age/model number) that governs things like side eject & milled receiver for scope...?
Im just wondering how one knows if any given lever rifle has these features or not...? Or is it just a case of 'you know from experience' type thing...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 22 Aug 2018, 12:26 pm

Stix wrote:Thanks guys. :)

Another silly question...but is there anything in particular (such as age/model number) that governs things like side eject & milled receiver for scope...?
Im just wondering how one knows if any given lever rifle has these features or not...? Or is it just a case of 'you know from experience' type thing...?

SE indicates Side-Eject or AE for Angle-Eject.
I think almost anything can run a scope, just that some are much simpler. With top eject you generally run a scout scope or offset the scope to the left side. The Henry's and Marlins should all be setup for scopes.
I know there is a scope mount for the Rossi but I don't recall how it mounts, I think it's offset.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 22 Aug 2018, 12:36 pm

Stix wrote:Thanks guys. :)

94 Rangers are pre drilled for scope and are an AE. Just a budget version of the 94 but still a solid lever.
2nd from left. :drinks:

IMG_20180820_145845~3.jpg
IMG_20180820_145845~3.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 5702 times
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Aug 2018, 12:38 pm

Marlins are side eject and will take a scope, angle eject Winchesters were made so that those that want to use a scope could. Most will be pre-drilled for mounting receiver sights, ( Williams, Lyman, Redfield ). Personally I've never seen the need to mount a scope on a traditional lever gun. I can get my levers to group at acceptable levels for competition shooting out to 200m with iron sights, both barrel and receiver, more than adequate for hunting also.
Off-hand group @ 150m .38-55.jpg
Off-hand group @ 150m .38-55.jpg (411.86 KiB) Viewed 5702 times
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 Aug 2018, 12:41 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Personally I've never seen the need to mount a scope on a traditional lever gun. I can get my levers to group at acceptable levels for competition shooting out to 200m with iron sights, both barrel and receiver, more than adequate for hunting also.
Off-hand group @ 150m .38-55.jpg

It's very useful to be able to use a scope during load development.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Aug 2018, 12:44 pm

Never seen the need.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 Aug 2018, 12:49 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Never seen the need.

Sure, you might not, others might...
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 22 Aug 2018, 2:59 pm

Thanks guys.

The reason for considering a scope is my bad eyesight.
I should wear glasses but hate them so i dont.
Without glasses on i cant see front or rear sight or target...When i have glasses on can only see either/or.
Im not sure how ill play it all out, but ill start with open sights & see how that goes.

Personally i dont like the look of the old levers with glass, but i may need something to aid me as i can see im going to want to play with off hand stuff out to atleast 100 if not further
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 22 Aug 2018, 3:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Gamerancher wrote:Never seen the need.

Sure, you might not, others might...

well obviously it depends on your application doesn't it - I can see GR's perspective because half a minute of variance is rather insignificant for lever silhouette (where most variance comes from the shooter pulling the trigger at the wrong time ) - then again in Blade's defence, if you plan to varmint or long-range from (potentially) a supported position, half a minute becomes a lot more more important... horses for courses... personally the way I see load development, it's all about eliminating variables - a scope removes any variance of shooting with open sights, so therefore it is gonna be more or less beneficial.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 Aug 2018, 3:18 pm

in2anity wrote:...personally the way I see load development, it's all about eliminating variables - a scope removes any variance of shooting with open sights, so therefore it is gonna be more or less beneficial.

Exactly.
When you're developing ammo and trying to tighten the groups, it's easier to make judgements with 2MoA groups than 5MoA groups.
Shooter error is in addition to group spread.
I might be able to hold 5MoA offhand, but if my ammo only shoots 5MoA scoped off the bench then I have 10MoA potential. Get the ammo down to 2MoA and I should be able to keep them under 7MoA.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 22 Aug 2018, 3:29 pm

Stix, if ya eyes aren’t that flash mate , grab a marlin. Mounting up a scope/red dot is easy and straight forward. Yes , I know you can mount one up on a Winnie, but it just seems sacrilegious to do it. I sold my ‘94 rather than do that to it. Tried a Williams peep. That was better but still too slow to sight on a dark background was gunna try fluro firesights, but trying to get the right height front sight without sending to the USA was too much of a pain. Ya do see pre-Remington marlins for sale. Which are supposed to be better. Some of the lever nuts on here could expand on that. Annie Oakley and buffalo bill used marlin apparently. Just a few thoughts :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 22 Aug 2018, 3:33 pm

bigrich wrote:...trying to get the right height front sight without sending to the USA was too much of a pain.

Wrap a piece of wire around the sight so it sits high and shoot a group. Shorten it as needed. When you have the height you want, measure it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 22 Aug 2018, 3:34 pm

bladeracer wrote:Exactly.
When you're developing ammo and trying to tighten the groups, it's easier to make judgements with 2MoA groups than 5MoA groups.
I might be able to hold 5MoA offhand, but if my ammo only shoots 5MoA scoped off the bench then I have 10MoA potential. Get the ammo down to 2MoA and I should be able to keep them under 7MoA.

I've plugged a few roos at 200m across irons using my trusty ching sling from kneeling - at that distance (at that sized target), my optimised 2moa load becomes pretty darned important!
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 22 Aug 2018, 4:24 pm

in2anity wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Exactly.

I've plugged a few roos at 200m across irons using my trusty ching sling from kneeling - at that distance (at that sized target), my optimised 2moa load becomes pretty darned important!

that's good shooting with opens on a lever bud :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 22 Aug 2018, 6:56 pm

bigrich wrote:that's good shooting with opens on a lever bud :thumbsup:

Cheers br, a stabilizing sling and something to rest your elbow goes a long way :thumbsup: and don’t worry I’ve missed plenty too! Anyways I guess the point is some applications really do demand the most accurate load... which is best obtained using a scope!
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 23 Aug 2018, 4:39 am

Yeh in2anity if ya can’t place a shot properly, yah probably shouldn’t take it. I can’t shoot to quick with open sight these days, gunna give service rifle a go soon but. Bit more time to line things up and if ya do miss, it’s only paper. All my hunting rifles are scoped, but I am careful not to overscope as well. I think if I went down the lever path again, it would be a marlin. For easy cleaning and scope mounting. I’ve got high regard for the Winchester, just not practical for me in usage. :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 23 Aug 2018, 8:56 am

bigrich wrote:Yeh in2anity if ya can’t place a shot properly, yah probably shouldn’t take it.:

The way I see things - this is more applicable to larger game where shot placement can mean the difference between the animal escaping or not (for example sambar). When it comes to varminting (which I categorise grasshoppers under) - an overpowered rifle (like the 30/30) requires only a centre of mass hit to break em down, so shot placement isn't quite as crucial. given these factors, you can therefore gamble a bit more on those trickier shots. I certainly agree that a scope is ultimately the best tool for the job however - I just love the challenge of iron-sited hunting - real sense of nostalgia for me!
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles