Howa 1500 .223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Howa 1500 .223

Post by 2freeq » 15 Nov 2018, 8:18 pm

booomr wrote:
2freeq wrote:i wanted to try out this cheapo BSA 6-24x50mm scope i purchased a few weeks ago, if it dies i'll the original one back on.

40228905_1819683464779835_4038352663740416000_n.jpg

Just out of interest, 2freeq, how do you rate the BSA? I've got a mate said I can have one of his when my licence and PTA come through.

Rate it? Or am I better chucking my own cash at a Bushnell etc?

I've run around 200 rounds through my Howa .223 with the BSA scope and the scope is still holding zero and seems pretty good. I'm very happy with the setup i have.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jaydos » 18 Nov 2018, 11:19 am

absolutely love my 223 mini varmint. it loves the aussie outback 69gr matchkings. seems to group a lot more accurately at 100mtrs than 55gr pills
jaydos
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jaydos » 18 Nov 2018, 11:32 am

also i have a niko sterling scope, dirt cheap was like 150 by itself, i got it as party of a package. pretty decent for the price. obviously if you go spend 300 dollars or more you will get better glass, but for a budget scope its pretty decent.
jaydos
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Nov 2018, 12:46 pm

jaydos wrote:also i have a niko sterling scope, dirt cheap was like 150 by itself, i got it as party of a package. pretty decent for the price. obviously if you go spend 300 dollars or more you will get better glass, but for a budget scope its pretty decent.

Mate I've compared my cheap Tasco scope against my $1300 at the time Zeiss and honestly I couldn't see SFA diff Clarity wise but the big diff was the turrets and the solidness of those compared to the Chinese Tasco (chalk and cheese there) the scope I like the best is my Nikon, it's a great little scope for the $$, it's been rock solid and the optics are bloody brilliant for a cheaper end scope, so much so I prefer using it over my Zeiss strangely enough :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 19 Nov 2018, 11:48 am

bigfellascott wrote:
jaydos wrote:also i have a niko sterling scope, dirt cheap was like 150 by itself, i got it as party of a package. pretty decent for the price. obviously if you go spend 300 dollars or more you will get better glass, but for a budget scope its pretty decent.

Mate I've compared my cheap Tasco scope against my $1300 at the time Zeiss and honestly I couldn't see SFA diff Clarity wise but the big diff was the turrets and the solidness of those compared to the Chinese Tasco (chalk and cheese there) the scope I like the best is my Nikon, it's a great little scope for the $$, it's been rock solid and the optics are bloody brilliant for a cheaper end scope, so much so I prefer using it over my Zeiss strangely enough :unknown:

Thats good to hear bigfella, what size is the nikon?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Nov 2018, 4:45 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Thats good to hear bigfella, what size is the nikon?

3-9x50 :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Diamond Jim » 21 Nov 2018, 2:58 am

I spent way too much on my rifle and ended up with a $150 knock-off scope from a well known mail order site that starts with Ali and ends with Baba as the limit of my budget. I know it's not a Leupold, Zeiss or Weaver etc but until it breaks it is everything I need. I bought Warne rings that cost nearly as much as the scope. I can't fault it - yet. It just works. I know that goes against a lot of far wiser shooters than me but that is my experience. I've also had close friends buy brand name optics they have returned under warranty. Life is a gamble, you take your chances.....I don't shoot competition, meanwhile, any cat or fox within 300m is in serious peril.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Rod_outbak » 21 Nov 2018, 7:09 am

We bought a Howa 1500 stainless action in .223, and the synthetic stock; back in October.
It was to replace the buggered Remington 788 station rifle, which my overseer uses most days.

Overseer is madly in love with the Howa; regularly head-shooting critters out around 200 metres, and is continually amazed at how well it shoots.
I was impressed with it, while running the barrel in and setting it up/sighting it in. It's a good, solid workhorse that also shoots pretty darn well.

I couldnt fault it.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles