Breaking up the centrefire rifle forum - Member input wanted

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Breaking up the centrefire rifle forum - Member input wanted

Post by Aster » 29 Aug 2018, 4:33 pm

Hi all,

I’m giving some thought to breaking up the ‘centrefire rifle’ forum category, and would like to hear members thought on this.

This category is the largest on the site by a wide margin (1,400+ topics and 28,000+ posts at the time of writing), and while this growth is great, it does create some accessibility issues.

To briefly explain; the problem is that as new content is created, older content gets pushed deeper and deeper into the site, and this creates 2 issues:

1) Users simply don’t navigate through 40, 50, 60 etc. pages in a forum, so topics get viewed less the deeper they move into the forum.

2) Search engines follow similar logic, if content is “far away” from the home page in terms of navigation, it’s seen to be less important; it ranks less highly and brings in less visitors.

In a nutshell, the deeper topics are pushed, the more they are ‘forgotten’.

By splitting the forum into 2 categories, it would effectively bring a lot of topics “closer” to the homepage, removing a lot of the navigation required to reach them and alleviating both problems.

(We’ve just done this with the creation of the Rimfire rifle forum, moving content here from what was previously the combined centrefire and rimfire category.)

The question now, is how to divide it. I have a couple of trains of thought on this.

A) The most suitable solution to me seems to be a ‘large’ and ‘small’ centrefire forum. Where to draw the line on this is debatable, but I’m thinking a ‘6mm/.243 and larger’ and a ‘smaller than 6mm/.243’.

This would, in a way, group rifles by their intended purpose, e.g. cartridges in 6mm and larger are going to be used for hunting larger game, and longer distance target shooting, where cartridges smaller than 6mm are going to be used more for varminting and more moderate distance target shooting. Also recoil, cost etc.

B) The alternative is divide by action type. I know some forums do this, but in my mind the purpose and performance of a rifle is defined more by the cartridge it fires than its action. We also already have a ‘gunsmithing’ forum which is perhaps more suited to specific action questions anyway.

There is also the question of what to do with fringe action types; break-action rifle, breech-loading rifles etc. These are too uncommon to have a dedicated section of their own, and if you’re going to lump them in with another category then it defeats the purpose a bit.

Happy to hear alternative thinking on this, but option (A) resonates with me as the most appropriate solution.

I'm curious what other peoples thoughts are as far as categories go. What do you think?
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Re: Breaking up the centrefire rifle forum - Member input wa

Post by ponkychonk » 29 Aug 2018, 4:40 pm

Of your two options, option A definitely, however I prefer to avoid splitting it up altogether
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by JimTom » 29 Aug 2018, 6:06 pm

Mate I would say option A if it needs to be split up.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 29 Aug 2018, 6:27 pm

Hunting and Target?
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Aug 2018, 6:35 pm

Mmm... Interesting problem. Probably by calibre. But another option could be split bolt actions and all other actions.

Perhaps silly idea. Would hunting and target be an option?

****** I hate auto correct. :Lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jared.c » 29 Aug 2018, 7:32 pm

Agreed hunting/ target would work well I think.
But optiA is good aswel
Jared.c
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Aug 2018, 7:46 pm

there's already a target shooting section and if it must be broken up option A.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 29 Aug 2018, 7:46 pm

option A is sorta workable, but the more clearly defined grouping is between target and hunting. people hunt/varmit shoot with hornet,222, and 223 etc, as well as the larger calibers. i feel this distinction, and maybe lever gun cowboy range shoot as a separate group would be more workable. just a few ideas :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Aug 2018, 8:01 pm

Abused guns split theirs,,, Centrefire up to .270 and Centrefire .270 and above don't they ??
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 29 Aug 2018, 8:11 pm

Just search a topic ffs. If I want to learn how to load a 269 blah blah I just do a search. It's right up the top on the left.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Aug 2018, 8:17 pm

RoginaJack wrote:there's already a target shooting section and if it must be broken up option A.
mmmm...correct.
Perhaps...
Target shooting
Center fire rifle for target
Center fire rifle for Hunting

"Hunting" would then be specific to that only.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by andreweden » 29 Aug 2018, 8:59 pm

A please.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 29 Aug 2018, 9:01 pm

It appears that the centrefire section becomes somewhat of a dumping ground for general questions, maybe becuase its the first option combined with laziness and there is no general firearm chat section
If you look through the first page there are threads in there that should be moved.
I would consider:
1) Improved moderation to move threads where they belong. Why are there always threads in there about PTAs, storage, maintenance etc?
2) a "general" firearms discussion thread, the current general thread is for off topic discussion and a firearm general chat would be workable in combination with my first point
Bigjobss

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Aug 2018, 10:30 pm

Another thought! The "quote' option, could be replaced with "reply" option; that would cut down on a lot a waste of space. I don't see a need for a reply to have all of the original statement duplicatedy, just have your reply underneath, like facenovel (yeah, I know!!).
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 29 Aug 2018, 10:50 pm

Im not so sure of hunting & target shooting being seperated...hunters shoot targets & test loads with hunting rifles, so i feel these would get quite jumbled.

Option A is looking good, however a cut-off of .243 is pretty low.(then again its probably fairly weighted).

I do think BIGJOBSS is pulling some weight with his points... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by knowsnothin » 30 Aug 2018, 4:57 am

old world / new world guns?

europe / USA / Aussie firearms?
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 30 Aug 2018, 7:10 am

You already have sections to cover loading and cartridge specific topics. Why not break it up even further into major makes/brands.
You can have a spefic section for "do i get a howa, tikka or lithgow?" Seems every second topic is asking this question. :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Aster » 30 Aug 2018, 7:27 am

Bigjobss wrote:It appears that the centrefire section becomes somewhat of a dumping ground for general questions, maybe becuase its the first option combined with laziness and there is no general firearm chat section

2) a "general" firearms discussion thread, the current general thread is for off topic discussion and a firearm general chat would be workable in combination with my first point

There's probably some truth in that. A 'general' firearms discussion forum could work. I'll go through the forum and see if there is enough content to warrant that but I like the idea.

RoginaJack wrote:Another thought! The "quote' option, could be replaced with "reply" option; that would cut down on a lot a waste of space. I don't see a need for a reply to have all of the original statement duplicatedy, just have your reply underneath, like facenovel (yeah, I know!!).

The quote function is needed for long, and especially multi page topics. If you're replying to a post 5, 10 or 20 pages ago without a quote no one will follow what it was in response to.

I agree there is some misuse of it though. There is definitely no need to quote the message directly above you when replying.

(I think I'll do a post on that actually now that you've prompted me.)

Gwion wrote:Why not break it up even further into major makes/brands.

My thought on that is you'll end up with a lot of repetitive topics. How do I clean my Winchester, How do I clean my Tikka, How do I clean my Sako, How do I clean my Remington, etc.

I'll give it some though thought.

All input appreciated so far, keep it coming if you've got it.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by JSS » 30 Aug 2018, 7:32 am

If the split is due to volume of posts/threads as stated, i'd just make the new categories whatever are going to give you closest to a 50/50 split of the data. No point splitting it up where most of the data swings one way or the other as you'll just have to do it all again down the track.
Regardless of whatever change is made folks may whinge for a week or two, then the new way will just be the norm and life will go on.
That being said if it makes no difference option A sounds better to me.

To the thankless task of being a mod :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TheDude » 30 Aug 2018, 9:20 am

No comment on the centerfire area but probably need a tin foil hat area to separate those posts from the firearms related media and politics posts.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SHV » 30 Aug 2018, 11:25 am

hunting & general purpose

long range / target

military/antique

general enquiry

SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 30 Aug 2018, 11:58 am

SHV wrote:hunting & general purpose

long range / target

military/antique

general enquiry

This looks like a good layout.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2018, 1:40 pm

While it might make some minor difference when I post a thread, when I'm reading the forum I just hit the "view new posts" button which grabs threads from all forums.
So, if splitting the forum up helps with Google, then go for it - I can't see how it could affect me at all as a user, but it might draw more people in via Google and such.

I like the idea of a milsurp forum though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Flyer » 30 Aug 2018, 3:01 pm

Bigjobss wrote:It appears that the centrefire section becomes somewhat of a dumping ground for general questions, maybe becuase its the first option combined with laziness and there is no general firearm chat section
If you look through the first page there are threads in there that should be moved.
I would consider:
1) Improved moderation to move threads where they belong. Why are there always threads in there about PTAs, storage, maintenance etc?

I agree with the above.

Notwithstanding, a "Military & Antiques" section would also be a nice addition.

I don't know if you want to split things up too much, as the site could become a little messy and confusing - a little too "niche" for your average poster.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Daddybang » 30 Aug 2018, 3:27 pm

long range / target

military/antique

general enquiry

Yep +1 for this^^^^^ :drinks:
(If it needs to be split)
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by 1Fatman » 30 Aug 2018, 4:03 pm

If we have to split it I would say option A.
Lurking somewhere in your computer......... https://ozgunlobby.com
1Fatman
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 30 Aug 2018, 5:19 pm

TheDude wrote:No comment on the centerfire area but probably need a tin foil hat area to separate those posts from the firearms related media and politics posts.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 30 Aug 2018, 5:20 pm

Daddybang wrote:

long range / target

military/antique

general enquiry