Lithgow 243 added recall

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Lithgow 243 added recall

Post by DeadPool » 15 Sep 2018, 9:03 pm

Yeah I fear you may be right big man. I want to support Australian manufacturing so much, but the product and service has to be on point.

I've already started looking at getting a Tikka instead. :(
DeadPool
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by the big man » 15 Sep 2018, 9:04 pm

oh yeah did anyone else notice that all the 223s they had ready to send back all had a titanium barrel no black ones cant say that was the order they came back in it all smells like crap to me
dont let the apprentice touch anything but the broom!!!!
the big man
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 15 Sep 2018, 9:13 pm

Once the barrel is fixed still the gun mate. I am sure you will find a buyer easily enough. Hopefully your tikka gets you back to enjoying shooting.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 16 Sep 2018, 7:31 pm

Its strange to think that having put 12000 rounds through a 308 barrel would show anything - would testing it to proofing requirements (or exceeding proof)be more suitable ??
I aint a metallurgist or firerarms engineer but i would think that faults in the metal grain in the barrel would stand out like dogs cahunas!!

Interesting times ahead...will just continue to use my LA102 in 308 and keep my finger on the pulse so to speak....

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Sep 2018, 4:33 pm

They just updated with a picture first 100 are on their way back to owners. I wonder if any of them come on the market for sale
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 18 Sep 2018, 6:54 pm

If they have had barrel replaced and the issue has been resolved I think selling it would be counter productive. I would still buy one.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Sep 2018, 7:29 pm

I too, had a feel of the 308 law...I liked it, thinking of 223 for my next gun purchase, how to somehow convince the minister of war, currently trying the line that she needs a rifle to put it on her license (only complications she is left handed)
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Sep 2018, 4:47 pm

First of the repair 223 have hit the shops. For anyone who doesn't have facebook.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by flashman » 24 Sep 2018, 9:18 am

Sorry to hear that about Lithgow rifles, I went the other way , Tikka ,223, 243,308, hope it woks out for every one.... :(
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Runnymede » 09 Oct 2018, 1:15 pm

Has anyone received their 243 back yet? Mine still at factory and apart from confirmation email to say they had received it haven’t heard anything since.
Runnymede
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 09 Oct 2018, 2:45 pm

If it really is FIFO, then you won't see a 243 for quite a while.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 09 Oct 2018, 4:47 pm

sadly i think this drama may effect the resale value of these rifles. other makers have had dramas , remington has had issues with it's triggers and marlin build qaulity at times, brno recalled the number 5, the qaulity on portugese winchesters has been suspect i bin told. all these makers have got past their problems and carried on. wishing the best for a aussie business like lithgow , their backing their product and fixing things, probably at no small expense to themselves :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 11 Oct 2018, 4:33 pm

I don’t think we’ll see them before Xmas, I suspect they would need to get the 223’s completed first before starting on the 243’s, doesn’t really bother me to be honest, I’ve got plenty of other rifles that I can use in the meantime.
I think it’s good that they are doing the right thing and publicly admitting there may be a problem and recalling the rifles for barrel replacement.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Runnymede » 11 Oct 2018, 5:00 pm

Would be handy to have back, love my 243. Would have been good last night as was out chasing foxes with the 22 mag and spotted a wild dog but too far out for the 22.... the 243 would have been perfect. Looks like I’ll take the 308 out tonight in case he makes an appearance again.
Runnymede
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by flashman » 13 Oct 2018, 9:03 am

Hi all ,only one question .where are the barrels made and by whom ????????????? :unknown:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Oct 2018, 9:59 am

flashman wrote:Hi all ,only one question .where are the barrels made and by whom ????????????? :unknown:

Australia, by Thales.

http://www.lithgowarms.com/the-science- ... -493600885
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by the big man » 17 Oct 2018, 8:51 pm

update

picked up my 223 today 3months 1 week later barrel looks totally different no real pattern in it anymore and when i opened the box shock horror no free mag as promised la customer service at its finest will be chasing them up tmoz
dont let the apprentice touch anything but the broom
the big man
Recruit
Recruit

Post by dazz1975 » 18 Oct 2018, 4:53 am

the big man wrote:update

picked up my 223 today 3months 1 week later barrel looks totally different no real pattern in it anymore and when i opened the box shock horror no free mag as promised la customer service at its finest will be chasing them up tmoz
dont let the apprentice touch anything but the broom

Is there any chance you can provide photos of the new barrel?
dazz1975
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by the big man » 18 Oct 2018, 4:33 pm

20181018_172715.jpg
new barrel
20181018_172715.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 5501 times
yeah here is a pic other than the pattern/machine imprint or lack of all looks same as before
the big man
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Fred Smith » 10 Nov 2018, 5:33 pm

solarpak wrote:Yes - all us owners of the 308 LA102 are waiting with baited breath to see if our rifles will need a re-barrel.
What a complete disaster . I hope that they will promptly rectify all the issues and get rifles back to everyone affected. In reality they should have offered a full refund but then we would go off and buy a tikka , howa or similar...... but their reputation is severely dented and the only way for them to resurrect themselves is to source quality barrels from overseas or locally and fit these to their rifles - and make it a known fact. Forget using their own barrels - that didn't work.
I will be keeping a close eye on their website and anticipate a "308 recall notice" eventually - hope i am proven wrong.
CK

Hi Ladies and Gents.

This is an email I received from Stephen Brown, Civil Firearms Customer Service Officer, Lithgow Arms dated Monday the 5th of November 2018.

"At this point in time, no recall has been entered into with the LA102 in 308W.

We are applying what we have learnt with the other two calibres to change the material and the process for the 308W barrels.

Kind regards"

It was the answer I received from a question about the barrel recalls.

HTH
Ian.
Mine...Brno Md2 .22
Voere 22mag
Ruger American 22-250 Stainless (Gorne)
6.5 x 55 Swede (1902 CG)
6.5 x 55 Sauer 100
Howa Varmit Stainless Camo 22-250
Want..30-06
Fred Smith
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 10 Nov 2018, 9:55 pm

So i gather that the original 308 barrels were made the same way as the 223/243 barrels.....so they need to change the process for the 308's???

Doesnt really fill you with confidence...but since my LA102 in 308 has a 10 year warranty will continue to bang away with it till them.

Would i buy another Lithgow........ probably not......stick to the Howa and Tikka T3/T3X for peace of mind and reliability!!

I see the LA105 Woomera is nowhere to be seen???

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Pythonkeeper » 20 Dec 2018, 2:50 pm

Got the email this morning informing me that my 243 has had its barrel replaced and is on its way back to the dealer.....allow 72 hours for it to arrive...
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 21 Dec 2018, 7:17 pm

Received the phone call this afternoon to inform me my rifle is ready to be picked up from the shop.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Runnymede » 22 Dec 2018, 4:06 pm

Pythonkeeper wrote:Received the phone call this afternoon to inform me my rifle is ready to be picked up from the shop.

Half your luck..... still waiting on mine. Love my 243.....
Runnymede
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Pythonkeeper » 22 Dec 2018, 4:31 pm

I got mine in as soon as the recall was announced. Picked it up this morning, pretty sure I got a brand new stock also as I had the dealer mention that my sling swivel stud kept coming loose, I haven’t checked it out closely enough yet to be sure, will do so later.
Glad it’s back, it’s one of my favourite rifles.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 22 Dec 2018, 4:54 pm

Glad to hear you blokes getting your rifles back. Enjoy.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Runnymede » 29 Jan 2019, 7:31 pm

Happy days got confirmation today my rifle is in transit back to me via the LGS. Looking forward to getting my fox slayer back.
Runnymede
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 29 Jan 2019, 7:53 pm

Good to hear mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Micksta » 09 Mar 2019, 2:42 pm

would it be safe to say that new Lithgow .223's sitting on shelves now would have been re-barrelled ?

I'm pretty keen to get this in .223 but unsure whether buying new would have the recalled barrels still or buy second hand with an already replaced barrel.
Micksta
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 09 Mar 2019, 7:56 pm

Possibly mate or they could be manufactured with new barrels. Either way I wouldn’t have thought it would matter mate. If it’s new barrel it’s a new barrel.
I’d buy one in a heartbeat.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles