Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Sep 2018, 9:48 am

Col. Townsend Whelen said "Only accurate rifles are interesting". My Tikkas are the most accurate factory rifles I own. The Bell and Carlson stock for a T3 costs $270usd if you live in the USA. I am not sure how well the new Winchester can shoot but I used a two year old model 70 and it was a challenge to get acceptable accuracy out of it. I am betting that if you had a Tikka or Sako in 7mm-08 in the safe you wouldn't want to use anything else.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 07 Sep 2018, 10:29 am

I've got three Winnie's..a 1970's 94/22
A 1990's mod 70 .243(featherweight classic)
And a 94/30-30 ranger (not sure of YOM )and none of'em fail to kill cleanly so guess it comes down to the definition of " acceptable" accuracy :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Kumaabear » 07 Sep 2018, 11:31 am

Everything I have seen and read on this rifle indicates I should expect sub moa accuracy on the first 3 shots in a string (assuming I can soot that well), with the following 2 opening up the group a bit due to the light profile barrel.

For a rifle with a scope, mounts and strap at ~8 pound 1oz / 3.7kg I would be very happy with that :)
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 07 Sep 2018, 12:01 pm

Keep in mind those results would be under optimum conditions not "field" conditions. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Do ya speak a bit of Japanese mate?
:drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 Sep 2018, 3:18 pm

I will accept boring if it is accurate. Remington, Winchester and Savage all make some boring rifles at the same price point. Unfortunately accuracy can be elusive for these rifles. What rifles did you settle on to fill your safe? I love my Ruger #1s but they have tried my patience to get some accuracy out of them.[/quote]

there have been periods in american makers history where accuracy and build qaulity have been suspect. my latest winchester 70 is a second hand 1975 xtr in 222 . original in every way . my first batch of reloads resulted in one hole accuracy . if ya get the right model 70 you've got a world class rifle. tikkas are great, but i like the ability to top feed and that good strong and smooth mauser style action. i have gone "modern" recently, and bought a 18" barreled ruger gunsite scout in stainless and laminate and i love it. i love european rifles and have owned a few krico centrefires. but as DB points out accuracy and use in the feild is the bottom line. if i can hit a orange sized target at 200 yards ( 4" ? ) that's acceptable in a hunting rifle :thumbsup: :drinks:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 Sep 2018, 3:19 pm

Kumaabear wrote:Everything I have seen and read on this rifle indicates I should expect sub moa accuracy on the first 3 shots in a string (assuming I can soot that well), with the following 2 opening up the group a bit due to the light profile barrel.

For a rifle with a scope, mounts and strap at ~8 pound 1oz / 3.7kg I would be very happy with that :)

i only shoot 3 shot groups. in the paddock, after 3 shot's most game is long gone :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 Sep 2018, 3:22 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Col. Townsend Whelen said "Only accurate rifles are interesting". My Tikkas are the most accurate factory rifles I own. The Bell and Carlson stock for a T3 costs $270usd if you live in the USA. I am not sure how well the new Winchester can shoot but I used a two year old model 70 and it was a challenge to get acceptable accuracy out of it. I am betting that if you had a Tikka or Sako in 7mm-08 in the safe you wouldn't want to use anything else.

if i had the money a sako barvarian with no iron sights in 7-08 gets my vote :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Kumaabear » 07 Sep 2018, 4:02 pm

i only shoot 3 shot groups. in the paddock, after 3 shot's most game is long gone :lol: :thumbsup:[/quote]

Or thoroughly minced :lol:
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 07 Sep 2018, 6:11 pm

Kumaabear wrote:i only shoot 3 shot groups. in the paddock, after 3 shot's most game is long gone :lol: :thumbsup:

Or thoroughly minced :lol:[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles