Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather

Post by Bigjobss » 06 Sep 2018, 7:28 pm

Tikka are the Ikea of firearms, nothing really wrong with them but Ive never shouldered one and wanted to own it, they just feel cheap.
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 06 Sep 2018, 8:05 pm

bigrich wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:300WM. The first two often touch but the third will fly a little, I blame the thin barrel.

300 wm, what a beast. I helped a mate sight in one in a Tikka t3 lite. Was fun !

Sheesh richo...!!
If thats fun, wot do you do for a hoot...?...drive a nail into your knee & pull it out sideways with a pair of vice grips...?

A dozen compressed loads through my tikka lite 7-08 & ive had enough...! (But im a woos & hate fast recoil :lol: )
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 06 Sep 2018, 8:15 pm

300WM is a whole lot of rifle for a Tikka T3 Lite.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 06 Sep 2018, 8:16 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Tikka are the Ikea of firearms, nothing really wrong with them but Ive never shouldered one and wanted to own it, they just feel cheap.

Carry a lite around all day & stalk a mob of goats & let loose...!!
Then bowl a few over from 200+yards...

They are light, fast, accurate enough & very fluent when it comes to pointability (depending on the size & weight of the glass atop)...

After knocking over a mob a bleeting hoofed pre roasted legs, you'll want to own one...

I used to think the same as you BJ, but im a convert..!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 06 Sep 2018, 8:23 pm

yeh well fellas im 6 foot 4 inches tall and 125 kg , so shootin' big'uns isn't too harsh. but the muzzle blast rebounding at the range can give me a headache. i got mates who have tikkas and they are outstanding value for money. working mans sako. i still love me model 70's but. bin trying to post pics but they wont load. invalid content so the forum says
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Sep 2018, 8:26 pm

JimTom wrote:300WM is a whole lot of rifle for a Tikka T3 Lite.

ya not kiddin' ! my 45-70 was a pussy to shoot compared to it :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 07 Sep 2018, 6:17 am

bigrich wrote:
JimTom wrote:300WM is a whole lot of rifle for a Tikka T3 Lite.

ya not kiddin' ! my 45-70 was a pussy to shoot compared to it :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .223 which is an absolute gem. Being as light as it is I don’t think I go for one in anything over .243
That’s just me though.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Kumaabear » 07 Sep 2018, 8:26 am

I see Tikka as the brand that mastered making affordable rifles that shoot like expensive rifles. They are affordable, reliable, have models to fit most peoples use and are very accurate.

But they just don't make we want to own one, they are a bit boring imo, and tho they are well engineered wherever it matters for function they do look/feel kinda cheap.

Brilliant rifles and if I was buying a bunch of rifles as a business acquisition Tikka would be at the head of the list, not so much for one of the 3 rifles to live in my safe.
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 07 Sep 2018, 8:47 am

Your probably right Stix if I had a need for one like the goat scenario I might grow to like it, but I wouldnt be proud to own it :lol:
Plus as Ive mentioned in the past I am a devotee of the Safari Sling which is awesome for readyness and you barely feel the weight of the rifle, still suprises me they arent more popular.

Ive spoken to two people nos that swore off magnum calibres after buying T3 lites chambered in 300WM.
Bigjobss

Post by Daddybang » 07 Sep 2018, 8:50 am

Kumaabear wrote:Well I am glad to hear that they are nice rifles, I wonder why they don't seem more popular in Aus.

Back in the eighties Olin produced Winnie's were pieces of sh@t and their reputation has not really recovered but anyone who owns a post Olin Winnie (I've got a USRAC mod 70 from the mid nineties) can tell ya they're good solid rifles :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Sep 2018, 9:01 am

Kumaabear wrote:I see Tikka as the brand that mastered making affordable rifles that shoot like expensive rifles. They are affordable, reliable, have models to fit most peoples use and are very accurate.

But they just don't make we want to own one, they are a bit boring imo, and tho they are well engineered wherever it matters for function they do look/feel kinda cheap.

Brilliant rifles and if I was buying a bunch of rifles as a business acquisition Tikka would be at the head of the list, not so much for one of the 3 rifles to live in my safe.

I agree that the plastic stocks are not the most attractive thing but what company makes a plastic stock that is more appealing. If a chassis is your thing, Tikka make an acceptable one or you could get an aftermarket mainly laminated, stock.

I will accept boring if it is accurate. Remington, Winchester and Savage all make some boring rifles at the same price point. Unfortunately accuracy can be elusive for these rifles. What rifles did you settle on to fill your safe? I love my Ruger #1s but they have tried my patience to get some accuracy out of them.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Kumaabear » 07 Sep 2018, 9:25 am

I really like the bell and Carlson stock, its a bonus that one comes from the factory on the Winchester.

I have a Lithgow La101 in 22WMR which is great for plinking and rabbits small stuff.

Next rifle I want will be the general use hunting rifle, leaning towards this Winchester at the moment just need to find one in stock to have a look at. Tossing up between 7mm-08 and .308 because I would like to go after deer next time in in Vic high country with the 4x4 camping and not have to worry about their .270 minimum on some deer.

I really want to go with 7mm-08 and get into reloading, it seems like a really nice cartridge. I do see that there is some factory ammo at least that would hold me over until I get into reloading, but I know the logical choice would be .308 for ammo availability and potential resale in future.

I have a nice Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 I got a great deal on to go on top :) whole setup should come out to ~3.6-3.7 Kg with the scope mounted and a strap.

- I reckon the 3rd slot in the safe will be a shotty but we will see :P (Yes I should have bought a bigger safe)
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Sep 2018, 9:48 am

Col. Townsend Whelen said "Only accurate rifles are interesting". My Tikkas are the most accurate factory rifles I own. The Bell and Carlson stock for a T3 costs $270usd if you live in the USA. I am not sure how well the new Winchester can shoot but I used a two year old model 70 and it was a challenge to get acceptable accuracy out of it. I am betting that if you had a Tikka or Sako in 7mm-08 in the safe you wouldn't want to use anything else.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 07 Sep 2018, 10:29 am

I've got three Winnie's..a 1970's 94/22
A 1990's mod 70 .243(featherweight classic)
And a 94/30-30 ranger (not sure of YOM )and none of'em fail to kill cleanly so guess it comes down to the definition of " acceptable" accuracy :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Kumaabear » 07 Sep 2018, 11:31 am

Everything I have seen and read on this rifle indicates I should expect sub moa accuracy on the first 3 shots in a string (assuming I can soot that well), with the following 2 opening up the group a bit due to the light profile barrel.

For a rifle with a scope, mounts and strap at ~8 pound 1oz / 3.7kg I would be very happy with that :)
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 07 Sep 2018, 12:01 pm

Keep in mind those results would be under optimum conditions not "field" conditions. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Do ya speak a bit of Japanese mate?
:drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 Sep 2018, 3:18 pm

I will accept boring if it is accurate. Remington, Winchester and Savage all make some boring rifles at the same price point. Unfortunately accuracy can be elusive for these rifles. What rifles did you settle on to fill your safe? I love my Ruger #1s but they have tried my patience to get some accuracy out of them.[/quote]

there have been periods in american makers history where accuracy and build qaulity have been suspect. my latest winchester 70 is a second hand 1975 xtr in 222 . original in every way . my first batch of reloads resulted in one hole accuracy . if ya get the right model 70 you've got a world class rifle. tikkas are great, but i like the ability to top feed and that good strong and smooth mauser style action. i have gone "modern" recently, and bought a 18" barreled ruger gunsite scout in stainless and laminate and i love it. i love european rifles and have owned a few krico centrefires. but as DB points out accuracy and use in the feild is the bottom line. if i can hit a orange sized target at 200 yards ( 4" ? ) that's acceptable in a hunting rifle :thumbsup: :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 Sep 2018, 3:19 pm

Kumaabear wrote:Everything I have seen and read on this rifle indicates I should expect sub moa accuracy on the first 3 shots in a string (assuming I can soot that well), with the following 2 opening up the group a bit due to the light profile barrel.

For a rifle with a scope, mounts and strap at ~8 pound 1oz / 3.7kg I would be very happy with that :)

i only shoot 3 shot groups. in the paddock, after 3 shot's most game is long gone :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 Sep 2018, 3:22 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Col. Townsend Whelen said "Only accurate rifles are interesting". My Tikkas are the most accurate factory rifles I own. The Bell and Carlson stock for a T3 costs $270usd if you live in the USA. I am not sure how well the new Winchester can shoot but I used a two year old model 70 and it was a challenge to get acceptable accuracy out of it. I am betting that if you had a Tikka or Sako in 7mm-08 in the safe you wouldn't want to use anything else.

if i had the money a sako barvarian with no iron sights in 7-08 gets my vote :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Kumaabear » 07 Sep 2018, 4:02 pm

i only shoot 3 shot groups. in the paddock, after 3 shot's most game is long gone :lol: :thumbsup:[/quote]

Or thoroughly minced :lol:
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 07 Sep 2018, 6:11 pm

Kumaabear wrote:i only shoot 3 shot groups. in the paddock, after 3 shot's most game is long gone :lol: :thumbsup:

Or thoroughly minced :lol:[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles