Cast bullets thru Micro groove barrel (Lever action 30-30)

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Cast bullets thru Micro groove barrel (Lever action 30-30)

Post by Stix » 22 Sep 2018, 6:15 pm

Are there any problems associated with shooting cast bullets with reduced reduced loads through a marlin micro groove barrel...? (30-30).

I hear different opinions, & i know its been mentioned somewhere here previously, but id like you expert lever guys' opinions.

If its a problem, is the only option for reduced loads to shoot normal jacketed bullets...?

Really keen to know for sure if the above is a plausible option.

The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Cast bullets thru Micro groove barrel (Lever action 30-3

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Sep 2018, 6:24 pm

I shoot reduced cast loads (about 1400fps 50/50 lead & wheel weights) through my microgroove 30-06. All good and good accuracy.

Give it a crack
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Cast bullets thru Micro groove barrel (Lever action 30-3

Post by in2anity » 22 Sep 2018, 7:34 pm

There's a lot more to this subject than meets the eye. I spent a lot of time chasing accuracy (with lead bullets) out of my remlin 336; ultimately I achieved around consistent 2-3moa, which I see as pretty decent for a lever gun. But it only grouped like that over a reduced load of 2207; around 17grs of 2207 from memory. But to be fair I also accurized the rifle by sanding the forend so the rear barrel-band was a tad loose (and made sure the front band was never tight). That said, I still never believed the microgroove stabilized all the lead pills perfectly; there was ALWAYS some evidence of some (slightly) non-concentric holes. Basically I think the shallow grooves don't grip the softer lead consistently, leading to inconsistent stabilization. Other factors include the hardness of the pill; for example my gun seemed to shoot a softer pill (of say around 9bhn) slightly better than a harder pill of say 18bhn (but not significantly better I might add). Other factors often glossed over (with respect to this subject) is twist - the microgroove marlins are a 1:10 twist, whereas the ballard versions are 1:12 - this might contribute to the problem, keyword being might. 1:10 twist is pretty tight for a soft lead pill. My best lead slingers are ballard cut rifling - you can just tell by looking at the targets that they stabilize the lead pills perfectly, not to mention more accurate. I have a Marlin CB (slower twist, ballard rifling, heavier barrel) and with the right recipe it's a 1.5moa shooter!
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles