No.4 Mk1* unit designation or a name and DoB?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

No.4 Mk1* unit designation or a name and DoB?

Post by bladeracer » 02 Oct 2018, 2:32 pm

Anybody have a clue what this might be on my Longbranch?
Attachments
20181001_111616b.jpg
20181001_111616b.jpg (762.41 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: No.4 Mk1* unit designation or a name and DoB?

Post by bigrich » 02 Oct 2018, 5:40 pm

just a guess, i would say someone put personal markings on their issued rifle . wesley ? year issued and a unit reference ? where were longbranch rifles issued and manufactured blade ? national service still existed in the 1950's in a lot of countries
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 02 Oct 2018, 5:55 pm

bigrich wrote:just a guess, i would say someone put personal markings on their issued rifle . wesley ? year issued and a unit reference ? where were longbranch rifles issued and manufactured blade ? national service still existed in the 1950's in a lot of countries

That's my thought as well. Although, 1955 DoB is not out of the question for issue in '73 or later I think.
Longbranch is in Canada, but I assume they were sent to various places to be issued rather than being held within Canada.
I don't believe my rifle has any Aussie heritage, but it would be nice to know where it's traveled.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chappo » 02 Oct 2018, 7:14 pm

Ooohh a puzzle!!
What are the letters after 55?
A something?
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Oct 2018, 7:32 pm

Chappo wrote:Ooohh a puzzle!!
What are the letters after 55?
A something?

I haven't been able to decipher them.
There's another stamp in the fore end that I can't make out either.
Attachments
20181001_111640 (3).jpg
20181001_111640 (3).jpg (159.84 KiB) Viewed 3680 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Oct 2018, 7:51 pm

G'day bladeracer,
Not military, QM would skin alive anyone defacing their issue rifle. Unlikely to be post-issue personal marking due to it's nature, a bloke "personalizing" his rifle would most likely, I feel, put his actual name on it. Now, school Cadets issue. I have seen similar markings on rifles held in Cadet Armouries, so I would look at that area as a potential source, so for yours, perhaps -- "Wesley College, 2nd June 1955??" or some Canadian Cadet unit? Part of the fun of collecting for me is chasing down some of these markings and in many cases they can no longer be satisfactorily determined, but still fun, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Oct 2018, 8:00 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day bladeracer,
Not military, QM would skin alive anyone defacing their issue rifle. Unlikely to be post-issue personal marking due to it's nature, a bloke "personalizing" his rifle would most likely, I feel, put his actual name on it. Now, school Cadets issue. I have seen similar markings on rifles held in Cadet Armouries, so I would look at that area as a potential source, so for yours, perhaps -- "Wesley College, 2nd June 1955??" or some Canadian Cadet unit? Part of the fun of collecting for me is chasing down some of these markings and in many cases they can no longer be satisfactorily determined, but still fun, Cheers.

Wow - that would be amazing if it did go through Wesley College Cadet Unit, as I did so myself from 1980 to 1983.
Unfortunately, the Wesley College website has no record of ever having had a cadet unit - I assume due to the legal problems that occurred when they introduced females in 1983.
I shall have to try contacting them directly and ask if they can put me in touch with somebody that knows the unit history.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chappo » 02 Oct 2018, 9:37 pm

Interesting!
There are plenty of markings on my smle's, including the numbers 1 to 10 stamped in the action under the forend timber.
One day i mighy ask someone here what they all mean.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 03 Oct 2018, 4:40 am

I reckon it might be a cadet rifle, and the markings could be the schools maybe. I think there is a Wesley college up here in Queensland. Another thing it could be , Canadian Mounties have been issued with 303’s since forever and I’ve bin told the other day they’ve only just replaced them with the new tikka artic rifle. Great rifle, would consider one in place of my ruger scout except for the horrible orange colour of the laminate stock. Probably a good choice if you’re trying to find a rifle in a snowstorm but
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Oct 2018, 5:59 am

G'day bigrich,
Not the Mounties, although they did have No4's for some time, you are thinking of the Canadian Rangers who have just taken up the Tikka. As for the colour, paint. Maybe lashings of mud, good sunglasses? I wonder if it is available in grey? As for my other post, I only mentioned Wesley because it started "Wes", it could also be Wesleyan College in NZ or any number of places in Canada or even UK, as Longbranch supplied a large number of rifles via Lend-Lease. Should provide a good story if it can be determined, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 03 Oct 2018, 8:35 am

The plot thickens! Why and when would a longbranch come into Australia ? As a country that produced many Lithgow Enfields, I would’ve thought there wouldn’t have been a lot of imported ones except sporterised Parker hales and Lee speeds . After World War One the government just about gave them away so rifle clubs could form, a bit of a low key militia. So does anyone know how longbranch rifles came into the country ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Oct 2018, 4:41 pm

bigrich wrote:The plot thickens! Why and when would a longbranch come into Australia ? As a country that produced many Lithgow Enfields, I would’ve thought there wouldn’t have been a lot of imported ones except sporterised Parker hales and Lee speeds . After World War One the government just about gave them away so rifle clubs could form, a bit of a low key militia. So does anyone know how longbranch rifles came into the country ?

I don't know if rifles were kept as per manufacturer or if they were all put into the same pool and distributed randomly as required. As the No.4 Mk1* was made in the US and Canada (and I believe the factories were only a few hundred miles apart) it wouldn't surprise me if they all went to the same depot before being sent overseas.
I'm sure Aussies got their hands on some No.4's in Korea, but I think officially we were still using the No.1 MkIII Rifle there. I really don't know if we ever officially used the No.4 Rifle in Australia.

I just Googled and was surprised to discover the AWM has a No.4 Mk1* Longbranch in their Collection.
It's a trials rifle though.
https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C259129
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 03 Oct 2018, 9:32 pm

typically bade, a lot of stuff coming into australia back in the past came through or from canada as it's also a commonwealth country. a lot of the chevy parts in early monaros came through canada as did ford F 250 and F 350 trucks. dunno bout US made enfields but canadian ones make sense
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by N.Field » 09 Oct 2018, 2:59 pm

bladeracer wrote:Anybody have a clue what this might be on my Longbranch?

Don't have a clue but here's another one carrying a WES mark.

N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 09 Oct 2018, 4:19 pm

N.Field wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Anybody have a clue what this might be on my Longbranch?

Don't have a clue but here's another one carrying a WES mark.

Nice find :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 09 Oct 2018, 4:37 pm

ya know fellas, there's a US millitary term for all this confusion , FUBAR ! :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles