How to judge distance and trajectory?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: How to judge distance and trajectory?

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Oct 2018, 5:25 pm

Roo farmer wrote:Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm shooting for commercial sale and therefore shoulder shots are not acceptable. It is probably better to miss over the top at mid range than have a low shot further out.

100 metre zero would help for short to mid range but then I would have to judge aiming high at longer distance.

At a guess I'm shooting out to about 200 metres. The old Landcruiser odometer is not particularly accurate for small distances and is probably only give or take 50 metres.

22-250 and 243 are obviously flatter, but they are quite a bit more expensive to run with reload components and barrel life. They are also louder which scares the roos more.

I'm trying the judging half the distance trick, haven't quite got it yet but I'll keep persevering.

Even if I did have a rangefinder, there would not often be time to use it. I already use the fenceposts spacing a bit sometimes, but that's only really useful if you know the spacing - Four spaces..... 40 metres each..... 160 metres..... Hang on, maybe they were at 50 metres on this fence..... 200 metres..... Or were they 35..... 140 metres..... 200 metres or 140 metres..... Hang on, the roo has gone now so it doesn't matter.....

The best thing you can do is set up some targets at 50, 100, 200 and say 250-300m and send some lead down range and see exactly where they are landing that way you will be able to adjust your holdover when needed or buy a cal that's flat shooting out to those ranges and reduce the need to over think it.

From memory I think I had to holdover around 4in or there abouts for the 222 at 200m, I just lined up the tops of their ears and that was good enough for head shots from memory (been a while since I had to think about it) but it was something like that from memory, all depends on the zero I guess or get a scope with setable turrets that can be quickly adjusted to the distances you are shooting at.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 12 Oct 2018, 6:45 pm

Burris eliminator score had built in range finger. Maybe that's a good option.

Edit.... sorry don't know the name
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 15 Oct 2018, 10:14 pm

As others have suggested, figure out the size of your kill zone and then fifure out you max point blank range for that size target. Limit your shooting to that max point blank range and aim dead center every time.

Yes. Judging range at night and with a spot is a pain and a skill only acquired with experience. I'm hopeless at it so try to keep myself well within limits.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Archie » 16 Oct 2018, 12:05 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:This would be the perfect solution, probably why the military use them

Sit down before you look at the price though.

https://s8productsgroup.com.au/products/swr-radius

I don't quite get how that would work. If it's pointed at the same angle as your barrel, well, then it'll be looking at the sky on long shots. If it's angled lower than the barrel, then presumably the angle would still need to adjust with the range. Am I missing something?
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wildcard6 » 16 Oct 2018, 2:04 pm

You are sighted about right for a .223. One possible issue may be at work here. The decent group shot off a bench can get bigger when shooting from a less steady rest in the scrub. This means that those middle-distance shots might be holding closer to a 2" group and if you are taking head shots, the mid-range trajectory might be seeing the bullets go a bit high. Instead of top-of-head shots, try holding on the CENTRE of head to give yourself a little leeway high/low.
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 16 Oct 2018, 2:22 pm

Archie wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:This would be the perfect solution, probably why the military use them

I don't quite get how that would work. If it's pointed at the same angle as your barrel, well, then it'll be looking at the sky on long shots. If it's angled lower than the barrel, then presumably the angle would still need to adjust with the range. Am I missing something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0t3sMdW9Jg

It has a visible laser so you can see where it is lasing the range. I don't believe it lases where the rifle's crosshair is.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by zobster » 20 Oct 2018, 3:43 pm

My 2 cents worth.

Maybe you can get a scope with mildot reticle or some sort of hash marks etc. Fixed your zoom say at 6x and never adjust it. Set targets at 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300. Make the targets with a roo head as the bullseye. Look down the scope and start shooting, after practice, I reckon you'll be able to tell how big a roo head @ 'x' meters look in your scope and you'll be able to adjust accordingly.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gaznazdiak » 20 Oct 2018, 5:17 pm

Archie wrote:

I've never used one Archie, and at the price asked I never will, but as it was/is a standard piece of kit on many special forces M4's, I don't imagine they would be using them much beyond 300-350m.
Some further info/sales blurb below.
Still looks like a nice piece of kit but at a silly price.

https://silencerco.com/blog/2016/05/04/swr-radius/
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Oct 2018, 5:14 am

This is what I usually use to work out how far things are away from me.

Vortex 1000 Rangefinder, it's nice and compact and light and does a good job for my needs, helps make those long range shots on bunnies heads that much easier to achieve. From memory it cost me $350 2nd hand but new condition.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by marksman » 21 Oct 2018, 1:30 pm

not having a go at the vortex rangefinder big fella but the condor is a bigger bang for your buck :thumbsup:

http://www.condorgolf.com.au/rangefinde ... inder.html
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Oct 2018, 1:39 pm

marksman wrote:not having a go at the vortex rangefinder big fella but the condor is a bigger bang for your buck :thumbsup:

http://www.condorgolf.com.au/rangefinde ... inder.html

Looks good mate, only diff would be the lifetime warranty of the Vortex, not sure that one would offer it but it should do the job I would say.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/discontinue ... angefinder
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 21 Oct 2018, 3:30 pm

bigfellascott wrote:This is what I usually use to work out how far things are away from me.

Vortex 1000 Rangefinder, it's nice and compact and light and does a good job for my needs, helps make those long range shots on bunnies heads that much easier to achieve. From memory it cost me $350 2nd hand but new condition.

Nice rig there Scott, that grey laminate looks great.
I had the grey Boyd's Thumbhole on my 17WSM.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Oct 2018, 5:50 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:This is what I usually use to work out how far things are away from me.

Nice rig there Scott, that grey laminate looks great.
I had the grey Boyd's Thumbhole on my 17WSM.

Cheers Mick, I like the Boyds stocks, they seem to suit me well, I think I've got 5 or 6 of em on different rifles now, shame they got hard to get really or I'd have more of em for sure. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles