My first big bore

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: My first big bore

Post by bigpete » 30 Oct 2018, 7:52 am

Yes,at the absolute least,16gn has zero danger of being a squib load....
Don't think I'd shoot his reloads... :wtf:
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 30 Oct 2018, 8:16 am

Rod_outback wrote: "Genuine original. Single-shot drop-block action. I believe they went up to a .45-120"

Actually, they went up to .50-110 Express. The Model 1885 or " Single shot model", is a falling block action available in two forms, the "Low-wall" and
the "High-wall" and was was made in more calibres than any other model Winchester.
45 centrefire and 14 rimfire calibres to be exact, although the .45-120 Sharps was never offered in it.

If you ever want to sell it, let me know. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 30 Oct 2018, 9:32 am

1886 wrote:Mate, you sure this isn't at typo as 14-16 grn TB would be not far off being squib load.

I use 34grns TB behind a 300 grn lead and IMHO its in the medium range. Some other guys use 25grns and that's super mild and would have a trajectory of a boomerang so I can't see 14 being right ???

mate, YOU sure THIS isn't a typo? in fact, are you even still able to type with those missing fingers :lol: ? in all seriousness though, we are talking about the same powder here are we not? the little donuts right? you sure you're not confused with something like 06 or 07?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by 1886 » 30 Oct 2018, 10:49 am

Oops yep MY TYPO :D

34 of 2207. I also use TB a lot and it didn't register its the 45/70.

So is 14grns of TB a reasonable load for a 45/70 or is this on the weak side ?
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 30 Oct 2018, 12:16 pm

1886 wrote:Oops yep MY TYPO :D

34 of 2207. I also use TB a lot and it didn't register its the 45/70.

So is 14grns of TB a reasonable load for a 45/70 or is this on the weak side ?

Depends on your definition of "weak" - I sure as s**t wouldn't want to hit by one :lol: Because TB is such a "fluffy" powder there isn't a huge difference between 14gr and 16.5gr. In fact, it'd probably be only be a very slight difference in felt recoil (tbh I haven't done a side-by-side comparison). You could do a ladder test for accuracy I suppose, but for offhand shooting, such a difference probably would be rather meaningless. Trajectory will be a little different obviously, but it's still a massive rainbow that needs to be accounted for either way. So you may as well just go with max listed, or just round it off to the nearest whole number (16gr as GR suggested). KISS principle for lever guns off-handing lead IMO.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by 1886 » 30 Oct 2018, 9:19 pm

Your TB load is of interest as I was at the range on Sunday doing some sighting in with both my 45/70's and am now waiting for a higher Lymans front sight for the Browning 1885 Single shot as its shooting a tad too high as its also now fitted with a Skinner rear peep. Have also had a Skinner rear peep mounted to the Browning 1886 SRC Lever and have now worked out how I can also fit a Lymans crosshair to the front as they don't have a front dovetail mount but a slotted block etc.

Buying a lathe and mill in two weeks :D

When all done I'll do a chrono test with 34 of 2207 V 16 of TB and post later.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 31 Oct 2018, 8:30 am

1886 wrote:Your TB load is of interest as I was at the range on Sunday doing some sighting in with both my 45/70's and am now waiting for a higher Lymans front sight for the Browning 1885 Single shot as its shooting a tad too high as its also now fitted with a Skinner rear peep. Have also had a Skinner rear peep mounted to the Browning 1886 SRC Lever and have now worked out how I can also fit a Lymans crosshair to the front as they don't have a front dovetail mount but a slotted block etc.

Buying a lathe and mill in two weeks :D

When all done I'll do a chrono test with 34 of 2207 V 16 of TB and post later.

TB brings it the back into the funzone IMO - accurate (enough) and plinkable without the fatigue. But tbh the problem I see with the 45-70 is the sheer quantity of lead that it consumes - cost of lead is cost of lead, there’s no avoiding it. There are better alternatives for plinking and competition. For example the ballistically superior 30-30 or if you like straight walled say a 357 or 327 federal. To each to their own of course :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles