My first big bore

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

My first big bore

Post by Diddums » 08 Oct 2018, 8:01 am

Well, I caved into temptation and traded my 30-30 for a Marlin 1895GBL in 45-70.
I must say that this is a beautiful rifle, so much nicer than the mossberg 464 I had.
Feels great in the hands and cycles great.

Now i just need to find myself a low power scope, something along the lines of the Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20. I want something nice and compact.

Also it kicks like a mule if I shoot it of the bench, manageable shooting freehand though.

Attach50922_20181008_085443.jpg
Attach50922_20181008_085443.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 5887 times
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: My first big bore

Post by bigrich » 08 Oct 2018, 8:08 am

i found 45-70 pleasant to shoot, i had a CVA scout that weighed about 8 pounds. it'll roll ya , rather than a high intensity punch to the shoulder . i had the leupold "freedom" scope too . top scope very clear. ya got a good set up, get the federal 300 grainers, i got good accuracy with them . i also tried the hornady 325 gr "leverevolution" they had a bit more kick :D have fun ! :D :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 08 Oct 2018, 8:17 am

That's a nice rifle!! :thumbsup:
I've got a soft spot for the 45/70 ever since my first scope kiss when I was a teenager :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by ThumbNT » 08 Oct 2018, 10:09 am

Would like a 45/70, shame they're so expensive to shoot :(

great gun mate! looks awesome
ThumbNT
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 08 Oct 2018, 10:50 am

I suppose you wont be shooting 100 rounds in one arvo at the range with that big beast. But nice
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 08 Oct 2018, 11:37 am

Ziad wrote:I suppose you wont be shooting 100 rounds in one arvo at the range with that big beast. But nice

300gn lead pill over 14-16.5gr Trail Boss my friend :D
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 08 Oct 2018, 12:23 pm

Trailboss ship subsonic and I am assuming easier to shoot?
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 08 Oct 2018, 12:50 pm

Ziad wrote:Trailboss ship subsonic and I am assuming easier to shoot?

Not subsonic - more like ~1200fps. And yeah, very appropriate to plink, yet still plenty of energy (if you can master the rainbow)....
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 08 Oct 2018, 3:02 pm

Heh........ I see your 45-70, and raise you 20...

Winchester 1885 in .45-90WCF..
Attachments
DSCN2006 (2).JPG
DSCN2006 (2).JPG (196.21 KiB) Viewed 5777 times
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 08 Oct 2018, 3:27 pm

hell yeah rod, what a bewdy ! is that a genuine antique , or a modern rifle that's been reamed ? :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Diddums » 08 Oct 2018, 4:07 pm

Ziad wrote:I suppose you wont be shooting 100 rounds in one arvo at the range with that big beast. But nice

Yeah no way I'd be putting in a big range session with it.
Was shooting hornady FTX 325gn off the bench and was in a bit of pain after 3 quick shots.

Shooting free hand is fine though.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Diddums » 08 Oct 2018, 4:09 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Heh........ I see your 45-70, and raise you 20...

Nice, is it much more than the 45-70 in way of kick.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Pythonkeeper » 08 Oct 2018, 5:26 pm

Nice rifle Diddums, I recently acquired a Marlin SBL 45/70, great fun to shoot, I put a few boxes through mine when I sighted it in, gave my shoulder a bit of a caning by the end of the session but worth it. I’ve been running the PPU 405 gr through mine and found it plenty accurate enough (and then some) for hunting which is its main purpose. The Hornsby leverevolution went well but I had some feeding issues with them.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 08 Oct 2018, 6:21 pm

after reading some posts of bench shooting 45-70 i'm starting to consider myself lucky that i'm a 6'4" 125 kg ox , or russian tank so stoney reckons :lol: i found shooting 45's quite refreshing :sarcasm: :lol: apparently 45-70 is real popular in north queensland, as pigs get quite large up there. my local gun shop owner swears by his stainless laminate marlin with heavy handloads as he goes north hunting :thumbsup: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 08 Oct 2018, 6:21 pm

[quote="bigrich"]
hell yeah rod, what a bewdy ! is that a genuine antique , or a modern rifle that's been reamed ? :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Genuine original. Single-shot drop-block action. I believe they went up to a .45-120, but the advent of modern smokeless powder meant that the extra space in the cartridge wasnt all that useful(my understanding).
The serial number says it was manufactured in ~1915, so modern enough to cope with smokeless powder, but the cartridge was designed for BP. .45 calibre, and 90 grains of BP.

The mate who restored it for me, has loaded me up some 300gn leads (in the pic). I've only fired one or two, and am a bit loathe to fire any more until I get a fresh batch loaded up myself.
Mate did a fantastic job on restoring it to solid working condition, rather than making it a show pony. He added the flip-up peep sight at the back, which is period-correct, but new to this rifle.

When elder brother (navy) is here on leave next, I plan to have a few dozen rounds loaded up for evaluation purposes...

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 08 Oct 2018, 6:28 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:
bigrich wrote:hell yeah rod, what a bewdy ! is that a genuine antique , or a modern rifle that's been reamed ? :thumbsup:

Genuine original. Single-shot drop-block action. I believe they went up to a .45-120, but the advent of modern smokeless powder meant that the extra space in the cartridge wasnt all that useful(my understanding).
The serial number says it was manufactured in ~1915, so modern enough to cope with smokeless powder, but the cartridge was designed for BP. .45 calibre, and 90 grains of BP.

The mate who restored it for me, has loaded me up some 300gn leads (in the pic). I've only fired one or two, and am a bit loathe to fire any more until I get a fresh batch loaded up myself.
Mate did a fantastic job on restoring it to solid working condition, rather than making it a show pony. He added the flip-up peep sight at the back, which is period-correct, but new to this rifle.

When elder brother (navy) is here on leave next, I plan to have a few dozen rounds loaded up for evaluation purposes...

Cheers,

Rod.

1915 ay ? she's a classic rod. the oldest gun i've owned was a 1909 swede , unfortunately open sights just don't agree with my eyes anymore, and it sort of defeats the purpose scoping a classic old rifle , so i let it go. ya shoot your rifle for kicks or do ya get to use it on game rod ? it'd be pretty mean on pigs and such ;) :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 08 Oct 2018, 6:35 pm

[quote="Diddums"]
[quote="Rod_outbak"]
Heh........ I see your 45-70, and raise you 20...

[/quote]

Nice, is it much more than the 45-70 in way of kick.
[/quote]

It's been years since I fired a .45-70, so hard to say. My understanding is the load is pretty much the same as you run in a .45-70, when you run smokeless powder, so I'd think it probably is similar in recoil.
It is a quite heavy & long barrel, so maybe slightly less?

In comparison to my Marlin 336(.30-30WCF) running warm 150gn loads, I'd say it was slightly less recoil than that. Certainly speaks with authority, though...

I confess I've only fired a single round from it; hesitant to shoot many more until I've started rolling my own. I'd really like to give a few visitors a shot from it, but I'll wait until I have another 20 cases loaded up myself(currently running the rounds the mate who restored it made up for me).
I think I have 40 or so .45-70 factory loads there, which might be interesting, as they are apparently okay to shoot in it (though too many likely to start knocking the throat around a bit).
[Looking forward to some visitors wetting themselves when I open the ammo box to show them what they'll be sending down-range...]

Nice Marlin .45-70, by the way. I like the look of that rifle, and that's an eye-watering hole in the front of it!

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 08 Oct 2018, 10:22 pm

Welcome to the 45/70 club mate
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 09 Oct 2018, 9:04 am

Diddums,

Forgot to mention; the best way to reduce the recoil of a .30-30, is to place a large angry pig in the sights.
Or better still; a MOB of large angry pigs!
[NOTE: this does tend to increase heart-rate excessively, especially if they are running towards you...]
At that point, you wont even remember the gun firing, let alone where the freaking great big shoulder bruise came from...

Maybe the same solution for the recoil on the .45-70??
Might need REALLY big pigs, though...
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Diddums » 09 Oct 2018, 12:48 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Diddums,

Forgot to mention; the best way to reduce the recoil of a .30-30, is to place a large angry pig in the sights.
Or better still; a MOB of large angry pigs!
[NOTE: this does tend to increase heart-rate excessively, especially if they are running towards you...]
At that point, you wont even remember the gun firing, let alone where the freaking great big shoulder bruise came from...

Maybe the same solution for the recoil on the .45-70??
Might need REALLY big pigs, though...

Lol, very true.
Looking forward to finding a large group of anything.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 09 Oct 2018, 5:41 pm

I think if a boar is charging towards you.... and let alone a mob of wild pigs... only a good double barrel shotgun is gonna save you
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 09 Oct 2018, 8:28 pm

Ziad wrote:I think if a boar is charging towards you.... and let alone a mob of wild pigs... only a good double barrel shotgun is gonna save you

awww, i dunno. a slick 45-70 with a red dot is gunna stop a boar pretty convincingly . got more than two shots as well. if i could have anything at close range a thompson SMG if 45 LC would produce a lot of pork mince real quick :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 10 Oct 2018, 6:35 am

bigrich wrote:
Ziad wrote:I think if a boar is charging towards you.... and let alone a mob of wild pigs... only a good double barrel shotgun is gonna save you

awww, i dunno. a slick 45-70 with a red dot is gunna stop a boar pretty convincingly . got more than two shots as well. if i could have anything at close range a thompson SMG if 45 LC would produce a lot of pork mince real quick :lol:

8-) :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 10 Oct 2018, 7:24 am

??
Isnt a Thompson SMG .45ACP? I dont know of any SMG's in .45LC.

APPARENTLY, my grandfather attended some of the army dispersal sales in Darwin in 1948(Buying bulldozers), and one of the toys that made it back here was a Thompson.

They got a whole week; testing out the 'Pray & Spray' technique on pigs, before the police arrived to claim the weapon...
Bugger!
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 10 Oct 2018, 7:29 am

Damn that would have been fun, until the end.

I was thinking a semi auto but then not many ppl have cat d license.

And easier to point the shotgun somewhere in general direction
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by J.D. » 27 Oct 2018, 7:55 pm

Love my 45=70 Marlin Guide Gun...a great round and even better with such a large range of reloading options.

I load 300grn, 350grn & 405grn RNFP with trail boss & AR2207 loads....great fun & 300grn JHP for the big BOOOOOOM

Enjoy your new toy
J.D.
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by 1886 » 29 Oct 2018, 11:27 pm

in2anity wrote:

300gn lead pill over 14-16.5gr Trail Boss my friend :D

Mate, you sure this isn't at typo as 14-16 grn TB would be not far off being squib load.

I use 34grns TB behind a 300 grn lead and IMHO its in the medium range. Some other guys use 25grns and that's super mild and would have a trajectory of a boomerang so I can't see 14 being right ???
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 30 Oct 2018, 4:47 am

Screenshot_20181030-051609_Samsung Internet.jpg
Right there in black and white.....
Screenshot_20181030-051609_Samsung Internet.jpg (190.09 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 30 Oct 2018, 4:54 am

In fact,I'm calling bull.
I just went and actually overfilled a 45/70 case with trailboss and weighed it,and over 3 attempts got between 22 and 23gn..........
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 30 Oct 2018, 7:34 am

bigpete wrote:In fact,I'm calling bull.
I just went and actually overfilled a 45/70 case with trailboss and weighed it,and over 3 attempts got between 22 and 23gn..........

I agree. If he's jamming 34 grains in a .45-70, he'd better get ready for a whole heap of hurt. :crazy:
Number 1 rule with Trailboss, never compress it!

I've loaded 360 grain cast bullets with 16gr of Trailboss in .45-70 for excellent accuracy out to 200m. That was in a Marlin Cowboy with the 26" barrel.
Last edited by Gamerancher on 30 Oct 2018, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles