My first big bore

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: My first big bore

Post by in2anity » 31 Oct 2018, 8:30 am

1886 wrote:Your TB load is of interest as I was at the range on Sunday doing some sighting in with both my 45/70's and am now waiting for a higher Lymans front sight for the Browning 1885 Single shot as its shooting a tad too high as its also now fitted with a Skinner rear peep. Have also had a Skinner rear peep mounted to the Browning 1886 SRC Lever and have now worked out how I can also fit a Lymans crosshair to the front as they don't have a front dovetail mount but a slotted block etc.

Buying a lathe and mill in two weeks :D

When all done I'll do a chrono test with 34 of 2207 V 16 of TB and post later.

TB brings it the back into the funzone IMO - accurate (enough) and plinkable without the fatigue. But tbh the problem I see with the 45-70 is the sheer quantity of lead that it consumes - cost of lead is cost of lead, there’s no avoiding it. There are better alternatives for plinking and competition. For example the ballistically superior 30-30 or if you like straight walled say a 357 or 327 federal. To each to their own of course :drinks:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles