cz 527 .22hornet

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

cz 527 .22hornet

Post by HereSkip » 12 Oct 2018, 5:44 pm

Anyone had dramas with them? I just took mine back today because it wasnt feeding rounds very well and the damn bolt would keep skimming over the round :oops:

Anyone else had similar problems ?
"To achieve greatness you first must dream it." - Me, just then
HereSkip
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: cz 527 .22hornet

Post by Apollo » 12 Oct 2018, 6:41 pm

It's been a fair few years since my CZ 527 Hornet was new but thinking back when it was I do seem to remember it may have failed to pick up a round a couple of times and then I looked closely at what it was doing. Now from memory it may have been one or a combination of things until I realised what was going on.

First I remember the feed lips on the magazine were a little sharp and rough so I attacked them with a small file and smoothed the underside with just a few strokes from back to front. Just enough to take the rough edge off but that would most likely have fixed itself after a few dozen rounds passed through.

Then the only issue I can remember that happened to someone else that wasn't aware of a potential problem was not loading the magazine correctly and getting the rim jammed behind the round underneath it which doesn't happen if all the rounds are sitting above each other correctly. Rimmed cases.

Also possible is that the magazine is not locked home correctly and sits just so slightly low. Not a problem if it's pushed in quite firmly until it clicks. Perhaps even give it a jiggle to make sure it's locked.

None of these ever happened after a few weeks of use and these days I don't even think about any issue. It just works like a Mini Mauser should, a bit rough around the edges and clunky which again smooths out after a fair bit of use and now doesn't come to mind at all.

Not so accurate to my liking with any factory ammo I tried but under 1 MOA. With tuned reloads it's a whole different ball game and accuracy is better than 1/2 MOA. It didn't take long for the scope to be upgraded to a way more powerful size to take advantage of the accuracy for longer shots

Lovely accurate firearm and haven't come across anything that will do better.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 13 Oct 2018, 5:55 am

As said above covers pretty much everything. The CZ is a reliable feeder in general but the underside of the mag lips can be a bit rough when new. Dismantle it, a couple of gentle strokes with a fine file and steel wool and it is done.
If the bolt is not picking up the round at all, the round is too low in the mag which is unusual and would mean the lips are bent several millimetres or the mag is not seated correctly, the later is by far the more likely than the former.
Rim lock can be an issue but learning to load the mag correctly fixes that. The bolt will still engage the round on top but would not be able to feed it. You will notice a small slot in the side of the mag where a screwdriver or similar can be inserted to lever the second round down enabling the top round to be removed.
The 22 hornet is a great little round and that is why it is still going strong in the CF world.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by HereSkip » 13 Oct 2018, 10:18 am

Hey guy's thanks for getting back to me.

I was thinking because it was a new rifle / mag it could just need wearing in however i got over this very quickly, i ensured the mag was seated properly (gave it a jiggle, heard the click etc)

The bolt would literally glide over the rounds though, if the mag was full it would try and push the round into the ramp instead of gliding up, this not only damaged rounds but ended up with me pretty annoyed so i've taken it back to the shop.....
"To achieve greatness you first must dream it." - Me, just then
HereSkip
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Bills Shed » 13 Oct 2018, 11:42 am

I will check when I get home but I think you can put the mag spring in back to front. It can make a difference.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Apollo » 13 Oct 2018, 12:08 pm

HereSkip wrote:The bolt would literally glide over the rounds though, if the mag was full it would try and push the round into the ramp instead of gliding up, this not only damaged rounds but ended up with me pretty annoyed so i've taken it back to the shop.....

That sounds a lot like the rounds aren't sitting in the magazine properly and/or there may be a slight burr on the extractor claw that's stopping the rim from popping up into the bolt face as it's pushed forward.

The CZ is a "controlled round feed" not "Push feed" like a lot of others that don't need the rim to pop up fully onto the bolt face.

I'd say the fix is just some careful study and removing/smoothing a few edges perhaps on the magazine lips and/or behind the extractor claw.

It's got some thinking going here of way back in memory of those in the past that have had a hiccup with a CZ mentioned on many a Forum. For those that persisted I think it was just use of loading many rounds that the hiccups went away.

If it's gone back under warranty then I'd say Winchester will probably just finely remove some burrs and/or smooth some surfaces. If it comes back and there is still an issue I would say that use over a period will solve any remaining problem. They are tight when new and do get a lot better over time. I'd rather have it tight than like a sloppy Remington.... ;)
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 13 Oct 2018, 1:25 pm

like all firearms they need to be tweaked to get the best out of them
your problem as said sounds like the feed lips need to be played with a bit to get the cases to feed properly
not picking up a round can be that the mag is not inserted properly but more likely the feed lips need to be opened up
they are a good solid rifle when you have it tuned you wont be disappointed :drinks:

I have had to play with this type of thing quite a bit because I own a couple of ackley hornets :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Nigel » 13 Oct 2018, 10:48 pm

Failure to pick up rounds usually indicates that the magazine is sitting too low relative to the bolt. Possible reasons for this include the bottom metal not being correctly positioned relative to the action or a defective bottom metal or magazine.

An ill positioned bottom metal is a common issue with the CZ 527. Sometimes it seems like they have gone together correctly but the bottom metal is not correctly mated to the receiver. This issue is discussed in this thread which contains some advice from a CZ gunsmith (post #826920):
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=826920

I have also read of examples where the inletting of the stock prevented the receiver and bottom metal from mating correctly. You can test this by assembling the barreled action and bottom metal without the stock and checking operation. Do not over-tighten the action screws when doing this or you will bend the bottom metal.

Once you get the bolt to pick up rounds, be prepared to deal with other feeding issues. I have a CZ 527 in 22 Hornet and had some adventures getting it to feed well. The most improvement came from cleaning up the magazine lips with sand paper.

The 22 Hornet was not designed to be magazine fed and is always going to be tricky to get feeding perfectly. The short OAL, long neck and the rim all contribute to the difficulty.
Nigel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 14 Oct 2018, 12:39 pm

We have a savage hornet and it has feed issues
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Diamond Jim » 15 Oct 2018, 1:27 am

We've had a Slazenger Hornet (SMLE action) that uses a Savage magazine in the family for maybe 50 years. Never had a feed issue. If there is an issue with a new rifle it needs to be fixed and you should ask exactly what the issue was so if it ever recurs you know what to do.
Sorry but "no" we shouldn't have to tweak a new rifle to get it to work. It should function as expected. If we choose to reload or do something unexpected then, fair enough, we should expect to do some mods to get it to function. A new rifle, TV, washing machine, car should work as advertised
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 15 Oct 2018, 7:24 am

I have a 527( 95 build in 222) and have never had a problem other than arguing with the missus over who gets to shoot it !!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Oct 2018, 8:40 am

Is it possible the follower in the mag is binding?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles