Tikka T3X CTR 308?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka T3X CTR 308?

Post by SgtSchultz » 14 Oct 2018, 7:17 pm

HI Guys
I am looking for a new 308 and narrowed it down to a Tikka T3x CTR in 308. ( like the 10 rnd double stacked mag option as well) .Decided against the Lithgow
Has anyone a Tikka CTR in 308 and can give me you thoughts please?
Its intended mainly as a hunting gun out to 300 Metres and some range work.

Re the scope was looking for something like
LEUPOLD VX-R 4-12X40 30MM MATTE BALLISTIC FIREDOT (cheapest) or
LEUPOLD VX-5HD 3-15X56 30MM CDS ZL2 SF FIREDOT DUPLEX (dearer) or
SCHMIDT BENDER POLAR T96 3-12x54 (pushing the boat out)
I have a Schmidt already on another and love them but the Leupold are also great bangs for the buck i think with their warrantys etc.

Thanks for you throughts
Cheers
SgtSchultz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Tikka T3X CTR 308?

Post by solarpak » 14 Oct 2018, 8:03 pm

Sarge,
yes the CTR certainly fits the bill but with a full loaded 10-shot clip and a decent glass ups to you could be pushing the 9lb barrier ....as a stalking rifle it could be a tad heavy but then again for a all-purpose rig its a fine choice.

The new Howa HS Precision with the #3 contour 26inch tube and the HS stock is another fine out fit - then again more of a sit and shoot rig at that.

Glass wise - either of the Leupys will do if your a Leupy guy....If you want something in the Euro flavour Meopta Meopro or Meostar is a great scope at the same sort or coin as the Leupys

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 15 Oct 2018, 7:21 am

I have a 308 CTR - over those longer shots it’s easily my most accurate gun. They are decently weighted (for a tacti”cool” rifle) but they are certainly no carry guns. Without a recoil pad and muzzle brake, they boot a bit. I thoroughly recommend these two additions. Mine wears a leuie 6.5-20x and I almost permanently leave it on 20x (for target shooting). I think you’ll appreciate more magnification than 12x. It shoots everything well, quite irrespective of charge. I actually plink cheap cast lead through it for practice mainly. Then my primary load is the well priced 150gr bullet factory pill for 43c/shot - bucks the wind out to 300m. Then $$$ Amax or ELD (or similar HPBT match pills) for really stretching her out. Hope this helps.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 22 Oct 2018, 4:44 pm

Hi
I have a t3 ctr in 243 - it isn't a light gun but I put a small scope on it (11oz) and it weighs 8ish lbs unloaded
Its an easy 1/2 moa shooter and thats with factory ammo
I'm taking it for an extended walk over the weekend so will report back as to how suitable it is as an all day carry
BTW its about the same weight as my howa mini action 223 which carries a larger scope
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by PaddyT » 23 Oct 2018, 7:07 am

Just picked mine up in 6.5cm, Sure its a bit heavier than a "lite" but its very well balanced on the shoulder and carrying it on a sling is no hardship. Will take it for a sight in and range shoot on Friday
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 23 Oct 2018, 1:08 pm

I use a safari sling on this particular rifle - traditional slings see the box mag poking into my back a bit.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 23 Oct 2018, 4:50 pm

I really like its balance , it swings up into my shoulder easily due to the weight of the barrel and the hollow stock
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SgtSchultz » 27 Oct 2018, 8:46 pm

Thanks for all the responses guys.
I was weighing up getting the CTR in either 6.5 creed or 308 initially. I settled on the 308 as there seems just better ammo options and prices out here with buffalo river, osa etc. Both would be fine on the pigs no doubt and its not a dedicated target riffle for me.
I had a look and feel of the CTR in 308 at the LGS and weight wise, i didnt think it was too heavy. They seem to be doing deals for a liitle extra for a second mag and muzzle break as well

Scope wise , I like the S&B and Leica glass but you pay a lot for it. I have a Leupold VXR on another rifle and am very impressed with it for the price. I might look at a VX•R 4-12x40mm or 50mm which should keep the weight down
Thanks again.
Cheers
SgtSchultz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles