Cleaning 22's

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Cleaning 22's

Post by HereSkip » 17 Oct 2018, 4:46 pm

Now gentlemen I have been hearing recently from a couple different shooters that they never clean their 22 barrel

most people agree that you give the action a quick clean but dont touch the barrel, what's peoples thoughts? :unknown:
"To achieve greatness you first must dream it." - Me, just then
HereSkip
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Cleaning 22's

Post by Daddybang » 17 Oct 2018, 5:14 pm

I don't clean mine until its not shooting straight :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Chappo » 17 Oct 2018, 5:25 pm

Was taught as a kid to never mess with them unless they need it.
Cleaning the barrel can ruin accuracy.
The accuracy will come back after anywhere from 2 to 100 rounds depending on cleaning method and other factors.
Target shooters may disagree with me here and have some cleaning techniques they find gives them best results but personally once theyre "run in" i leave them alone.
Occasionally i clean the action, mag etc.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 17 Oct 2018, 6:15 pm

At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2018, 6:18 pm

HereSkip wrote:Now gentlemen I have been hearing recently from a couple different shooters that they never clean their 22 barrel

most people agree that you give the action a quick clean but dont touch the barrel, what's peoples thoughts? :unknown:

With all firearms I don't clean the bore until the rifle tells me to by loss of accuracy - generally between about 800rds and 1500rds with my .22LR rifles.
The rest of the rifle, including the chamber, gets cleaned more regularly.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Homer » 17 Oct 2018, 6:28 pm

G'Day Fella's,

Here Skip, generally, I only ever clean the chamber portion, of .22LR Rifles and Pistol barrels.
There are two reasons for this, I live in the inland part of Oz (so low chance of rust from salty, coastal air), and the ammo I use the most, is wet lubricated (SK brand, "Magazine"), so it coates the bore with an oily lubricant.
So if I was living close to the coast and salty air, I would probably put a cotton patch wet with Sweet's Gun Oil, or Break-Free CLP, down the bore, after I finished shooting.

After a lot of shooting (testing suppressor designs), I will generally have to clean both the bolt and breech face, and occasionally, the chamber (with a cotton patch, wet with bore solvent-Hoppes #9, etc), but not the rest of the barrel bore.
In my experience, the rest of the barrel, doesn't foul up on my Brno #1, and CZ 452-2E.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Oct 2018, 7:16 pm

Homer touched on the subject of proximity to the ocean. As someone who lives a few miles from the Pacific, I recommend thorough cleaning and oiling or your bore Will Rust :cry: This has happened to a rifle of mine and it was treated with a bronze brush and light oil. That cleaned out the rust and it shot beautifully. The question is, "Did that procedure spoil the accuracy for any length of time (before the accuracy returned) or change the point of impact"? The truth is, "I cannot recall" :oops:
However, does it matter which option you choose? This assumes that you are not going to shoot with rust in it.

Or are you the kind of person who would? Speaking for myself, I would never dream of it.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2018, 7:20 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Homer touched on the subject of proximity to the ocean. As someone who lives a few miles from the Pacific, I recommend thorough cleaning and oiling or your bore Will Rust :cry: This has happened to a rifle of mine and it was treated with a bronze brush and light oil. That cleaned out the rust and it shot beautifully. The question is, "Did that procedure spoil the accuracy for any length of time (before the accuracy returned) or change the point of impact"? The truth is, "I cannot recall" :oops:
However, does it matter which option you choose? This assumes that you are not going to shoot with rust in it.

Or are you the kind of person who would? Speaking for myself, I would never dream of it.

A .22LR bore should never rust if you leave it coated with bullet lube. Centrefires can rust though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 17 Oct 2018, 9:07 pm

For several years I have encouraged shooting acquaintances to read that article, which has been available for several years.
Some are astounded by what is often dismissed as "old wives tales" with respect to not having to clean a rimfire barrel. The quantity, and nature, of the fouling really does a barrel no good at all. A few minds were changed very quickly.
All that can be done is to provide the information.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by zobster » 18 Oct 2018, 4:45 am

I've stopped shooting 22lr for some time now, instead I switched over to the 17. She gets an exterior wipe down and that's it. Have put approximately 1.5 bricks through her.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by in2anity » 18 Oct 2018, 8:02 am

zobster wrote:I've stopped shooting 22lr for some time now, instead I switched over to the 17. She gets an exterior wipe down and that's it. Have put approximately 1.5 bricks through her.

My understanding is long term, copper fouling will be detrimental to your barrel. Actually I've seen a gun that had been left for a few years with copper fouling and i hate to break it to you but the barrel was pitted. It was a Sako too :thumbsdown:
Last edited by in2anity on 18 Oct 2018, 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 18 Oct 2018, 8:06 am

No1_49er wrote:

For several years I have encouraged shooting acquaintances to read that article, which has been available for several years.
Some are astounded by what is often dismissed as "old wives tales" with respect to not having to clean a rimfire barrel. The quantity, and nature, of the fouling really does a barrel no good at all. A few minds were changed very quickly.

Right on No1 - rarely will you meet a serious smallbore shooter who does not clean their 22. And with quality equipment and some finesse, cleaning your barrel will never be doing any damage.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Oct 2018, 2:05 pm

No1_49er wrote:

I read part of it in bed last night, though I have read it before. He does some interesting examinations. Did he ever determine how much the barrel life is shortened by only cleaning when required? I did a search for "barrel life" and got no hits at all, not even a vague reference to maximising barrel life through more cleaning.

Accuracy is what matters to me, if the bore ever manages to corrode to the point it affects accuracy I'll happily replace the barrel or the rifle, after several hundred thousand rounds, if I'm still alive.

I'll stick with cleaning as required to maintain optimum accuracy.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chappo » 18 Oct 2018, 8:25 pm

Yep i agree with blade.
If you are the type of bloke who loves to tinker with your guns then by all means clean your .22. As said before it cant do any real harm.
As for me, if they're shooting straight i'd prefer to leave them be.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stoney » 20 Oct 2018, 8:42 pm

So, I was gifted a 22 from my Uncle. A 1967 Voere. He shot 2 boxes of ammo through it in 1967, never cleaned it. I used it in 1983, shot 3 or 4 boxes of ammo through it, never cleaned it. 2017 he gives it to me because its been under the house ever since. And well, well. @50yrds. I just run a nylon brush then a dry patch. That's it.
Attachments
20180730_152757.jpg
20180730_152757.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 6854 times
20180730_152726.jpg
20180730_152726.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 6854 times
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by PaddyT » 21 Oct 2018, 12:40 pm

I clean the action and the breech, shoot a bit of G96 in, patch it out with two patches (2nd patch comes out clean everytime), spray some inox or gunlube or tackleguard (whatever spray lube i have in reach) on a patch and the run it trough once, store the rifle. Run a dry patch through before shooting, rifle (LA101) shoots very straight, I cant see how a bit of basic cleaning can hurt.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 21 Oct 2018, 1:26 pm

you are very lucky to have an uncle that will gift you a rifle Stoney :drinks: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Oct 2018, 1:35 pm

PaddyT wrote:I clean the action and the breech, shoot a bit of G96 in, patch it out with two patches (2nd patch comes out clean everytime), spray some inox or gunlube or tackleguard (whatever spray lube i have in reach) on a patch and the run it trough once, store the rifle. Run a dry patch through before shooting, rifle (LA101) shoots very straight, I cant see how a bit of basic cleaning can hurt.

Nobody is saying that cleaning hurts the rifle. But cleaning can give you less than optimal accuracy, or consistency. The claim above is that not cleaning the bore damages the bore through chemical reactions between the fouling and the steel. This may well be true, but whether you clean the bore or not you should still get longer barrel life than most shooters will ever be able to measure in a .22LR. Barrel "life" being measured by permanent loss of accuracy.

Put a brick or three through it and shoot some groups periodically to see if accuracy is effected.
From a clean bore you might find it improves after five rounds or fifty rounds, or you might find accuracy drops off after fifty or a hundred rounds. Some rifle/ammo combinations prefer a clean bore.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 21 Oct 2018, 2:27 pm

Sigh, here's how many target shooters operate; they clean their rifles regularly (with utmost care high quality equipment. As Blade has said, the gun will not shoot optimally with that pristine barrel. But those few sighters also double up as fouling shots, bringing the rifle into its peak "accuracy window". The gun will then (for a time) basically shoot at its peak accuracy, enough to get them through the match. After a while, accuracy will degrade (ever so slightly; where talking only fractions of measurement ), but enough to measurably affect scores. For knock-about hunters and plinkers of course this fractional gain is irrelevant.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 Oct 2018, 2:52 pm

in2anity wrote:Sigh, here's how many target shooters operate; they clean their rifles regularly (with utmost care high quality equipment. As Blade has said, the gun will not shoot optimally with that pristine barrel. But those few sighters also double up as fouling shots, bringing the rifle into its peak "accuracy window". The gun will then (for a time) basically shoot at its peak accuracy, enough to get them through the match. After a while, accuracy will degrade (ever so slightly; where talking only fractions of measurement ), but enough to measurably affect scores. For knock-about hunters and plinkers of course this fractional gain is irrelevant.

I think with serious competition shooters there is a preference for a bore that shoots best when it's clean as it allows them to control consistency. Even if the bore might shoot slightly tighter groups after a hundred rounds, before dropping off after 150rds, you can't clean after every shot, then shoot 100 foulers before you take a shot for score. It makes sense to find an ammunition that shoots best in a clean bore for serious competition, and control the condition of the bore by keeping it clean.

For the rest of us though, having a rifle that only shoots well for a few rounds after cleaning is just bloody annoying (I'm somewhere around 15,000rds of .22LR already this year). My .22LR levers get filthy and require stripping the action after about 300rds to keep them functioning, very annoying when you're having a long session of fun. I think my Ruger Target is currently well over 1000rds, and probably close to 1500rds without cleaning, and is still dropping rounds where I want them. I had two fail-to-extracts last week, probably telling me to scrub the chamber clean. Both within the same mag, so it could've just been some crud on the ammo, mag, extractor or chamber.

Shooting groups with a table full of different ammo has shown me that most ammo behaves similarly in an already-fouled bore. A few don't group well until after a few fouling rounds, say between five and twenty, even in an already-fouled bore - I guess they just like their own lube. A small handful really prefer a fairly fresh bore, more so with the high-end competition ammo, although I haven't shot enough bricks of the $30+ stuff to be definitive.

It makes sense that there are not all that many wildly-varied recipes for bullet coatings, with most probably having the same ingredients just at differing ratios.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 21 Oct 2018, 3:42 pm

bladeracer wrote:
PaddyT wrote:I clean the action and the breech, shoot a bit of G96 in, patch it out with two patches (2nd patch comes out clean everytime), spray some inox or gunlube or tackleguard (whatever spray lube i have in reach) on a patch and the run it trough once, store the rifle. Run a dry patch through before shooting, rifle (LA101) shoots very straight, I cant see how a bit of basic cleaning can hurt.

Nobody is saying that cleaning hurts the rifle. But cleaning can give you less than optimal accuracy, or consistency. The claim above is that not cleaning the bore damages the bore through chemical reactions between the fouling and the steel. This may well be true, but whether you clean the bore or not you should still get longer barrel life than most shooters will ever be able to measure in a .22LR. Barrel "life" being measured by permanent loss of accuracy.

Put a brick or three through it and shoot some groups periodically to see if accuracy is effected.
From a clean bore you might find it improves after five rounds or fifty rounds, or you might find accuracy drops off after fifty or a hundred rounds. Some rifle/ammo combinations prefer a clean bore.

i've got a weihrauch hw66 that seems to prefer being cleaned to not being cleaned. very tempremental to ammo change as well.with after 10 fouling shots on a clean barrel it just about shoots one small hole with the occasional flyer with sk match .i went from win subs to sk plus and it shot three inches high to the left, then the shots "walked" back to original point of aim . funny critters at times these 22's :unknown: i was having a plink session with it against a cz 452 2e american i just bought. i've owned a cz 452 supermatch previously that was very average, but this american is a cracker ! shoots as good ,(if not better with practice) as my weihrauch . no flyers, point of aim hardly changes with ammo brand . i finally have a cz that lives up to their reputation. i bought a torque adjustable screw driver, that made a world of difference to the grouping on the weihrauch . very useful tool maybe i should pillar and bed the weihrauch :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 21 Oct 2018, 7:00 pm

marksman wrote:you are very lucky to have an uncle that will gift you a rifle Stoney :drinks: :drinks:

Thanks marksman, I will forever cherish " Uncles " .22.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 21 Oct 2018, 7:19 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:Sigh, here's how many target shooters operate; they clean their rifles regularly (with utmost care high quality equipment. As Blade has said, the gun will not shoot optimally with that pristine barrel. But those few sighters also double up as fouling shots, bringing the rifle into its peak "accuracy window". The gun will then (for a time) basically shoot at its peak accuracy, enough to get them through the match. After a while, accuracy will degrade (ever so slightly; where talking only fractions of measurement ), but enough to measurably affect scores. For knock-about hunters and plinkers of course this fractional gain is irrelevant.

I think with serious competition shooters there is a preference for a bore that shoots best when it's clean as it allows them to control consistency. Even if the bore might shoot slightly tighter groups after a hundred rounds, before dropping off after 150rds, you can't clean after every shot, then shoot 100 foulers before you take a shot for score. It makes sense to find an ammunition that shoots best in a clean bore for serious competition, and control the condition of the bore by keeping it clean.

For the rest of us though, having a rifle that only shoots well for a few rounds after cleaning is just bloody annoying (I'm somewhere around 15,000rds of .22LR already this year). My .22LR levers get filthy and require stripping the action after about 300rds to keep them functioning, very annoying when you're having a long session of fun. I think my Ruger Target is currently well over 1000rds, and probably close to 1500rds without cleaning, and is still dropping rounds where I want them. I had two fail-to-extracts last week, probably telling me to scrub the chamber clean. Both within the same mag, so it could've just been some crud on the ammo, mag, extractor or chamber.

Shooting groups with a table full of different ammo has shown me that most ammo behaves similarly in an already-fouled bore. A few don't group well until after a few fouling rounds, say between five and twenty, even in an already-fouled bore - I guess they just like their own lube. A small handful really prefer a fairly fresh bore, more so with the high-end competition ammo, although I haven't shot enough bricks of the $30+ stuff to be definitive.

It makes sense that there are not all that many wildly-varied recipes for bullet coatings, with most probably having the same ingredients just at differing ratios.

Hey blade, in my quest for .22 accuracy I have noticed a wide ranging difference in lubricants on .22 lead bullets, from sticky, powdery, waxy, slippery. Also the colour of the lead differs from grey to very black. My success so far has been from Eley Club and surprisingly CCI Standard. Very dark lead. I have also noticed once the barrel gets warmed by a few rounds groups shrink. I never let the barrel cool like you would on a centrefire.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 Oct 2018, 7:35 pm

Stoney wrote:Hey blade, in my quest for .22 accuracy I have noticed a wide ranging difference in lubricants on .22 lead bullets, from sticky, powdery, waxy, slippery. Also the colour of the lead differs from grey to very black. My success so far has been from Eley Club and surprisingly CCI Standard. Very dark lead. I have also noticed once the barrel gets warmed by a few rounds groups shrink. I never let the barrel cool like you would on a centrefire.

Yes, the various lubes appear different, I'm not sure their actual ingredients vary much though, particularly not within the same price point. Colour is very likely nothing more than a dye added to the alloy or lube. SK Magazine is the filthiest, slipperiest ammo I've ever used, horrible stuff to try to get into a magazine. That might be a dramatically different type of lube perhaps. I'm only speaking of the 65-odd types of ammo I've tried myself.

Also my preferred ammo, CCI Std Vel for everyday fun, Eley Edge when I want to impress myself. Very little difference in group size but less chance of fliers with the Eley.

I should try some Eley Edge at my long-range targets actually. I just ranged shooting positions at 400m and 450m tonight that I hope to try this week.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by PaddyT » 22 Oct 2018, 9:43 am

Blade, got what you are saying i was just explaining my routine, but my shooting routine is this which adds to the story- when i take the 22 to the range i put 2-300 rounds of CC std through- all shot offhand when i first arrive- any accuracy stuff or ammo testing i do after that so i guess i am refouling before i get down to the accuracy stuff.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 Oct 2018, 1:26 pm

PaddyT wrote:Blade, got what you are saying i was just explaining my routine, but my shooting routine is this which adds to the story- when i take the 22 to the range i put 2-300 rounds of CC std through- all shot offhand when i first arrive- any accuracy stuff or ammo testing i do after that so i guess i am refouling before i get down to the accuracy stuff.

Yep, I wasn't contradicting you.
200+ rounds _before_ getting down to accuracy shooting would make some serious competition shooters cringe :-)

I just noticed Hornady has released some .22LR ammo I'll have to try when I find some.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by PaddyT » 22 Oct 2018, 2:04 pm

he-he 22 is for practice, lots of it! and if we get some bunnies reappearing its for them too- i did notice the other day in a park ive walked for the last year every Monday at dawn (i do the daughters swimming run on a Monday) a sudden resurgance in the bunny population from zero to about 15 or 20 in just a few weeks- pity its in suburban Sydney, might have to go west now that weve had rain!I am not a serious comp shooter- thats for sure
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Crankycant » 03 Nov 2018, 8:39 am

If it's any consolation I haven't cleaned my 17hmr bore in 200 Rds other than first initial to remove grease. Of course I clean and oil the action and other components as you should but it really hits the sweet spot at around 100-150 Rds put through it. Head shooting rabbits out past 100 is my vice and for some reason this girl likes it dirty so I just do as she tells me.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Nov 2018, 6:19 pm

Crankycant wrote:If it's any consolation I haven't cleaned my 17hmr bore in 200 Rds other than first initial to remove grease. Of course I clean and oil the action and other components as you should but it really hits the sweet spot at around 100-150 Rds put through it. Head shooting rabbits out past 100 is my vice and for some reason this girl likes it dirty so I just do as she tells me.

That is interesting, everything I've read and heard is that they need cleaning very regularly due to the tiny bore.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Crankycant » 03 Nov 2018, 7:24 pm

You know what Bladeracer you know how all ladies are different this is no exception. initial thoughts on the rifle upon breaking the barrel were this rifle is Sh!thhouse. From what read I thought bloody hell I'm going to have to clean this thing all the time and it doesn't shoot straight. But we played around doing a bit of plinking and tried some different things with it anyway and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn right up until we hit over a 100rds, on many occasions cleaned it at 100+ Rds turns out to be the same terrible gun I brought home from the shop with me. Me and mate put two bricks through last weekend patched it with copper solvent no copper residue on the patch just carbon. So unless it is some sort of reverse freak of nature sort of thing. Is there a possibility of an oversized bore if that can actually happen? I don't think It would stabilise the projectile well if it was too oversized and this thing is a pretty excellent shooter for a sub $400 17hmr
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles