What would it take for a safety to fail

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

What would it take for a safety to fail

Post by rainwalker » 20 Jan 2014, 11:46 am

G'day.

Stating the obvious, a safety mechanism stops a rifle from firing, but beyond that I don't really understand the mechanics of what's actually happening in the mechanism.

What's locked or whatever...

Question is what would it take for a safety to fail.

Could a really hard drop cause it?

As a ridiculous example which no one would do... If you clubbed a rock with your rifle or tossed it off a roof or something stupid, could regular blunt force do it?
Nothin' like a good thirty aught six
rainwalker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: What would it take for a safety to fail

Post by veep » 20 Jan 2014, 12:41 pm

Not quite your question, but they sort of did this on Mythbusters with copying the scene from the movie True Lies when she drops the Uzi down the stairs and it shoots the bad guys.

They set it up to roll down the stairs loaded and with the safety off and it wouldn't fire.
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sooey » 20 Jan 2014, 3:27 pm

If I remember right...

The sear holds the firing pin in place and when you pull the trigger it releases the sear.

The safety then holds the trigger in place so you can't release the sear.

Someone chime in if I have that wrong...
Remington 700 CDL chambered in .270 Winchester
Remington 700 CDL chambered in 300 Win Mag
4-16x 40mm Bushnell Elite scopes
sooey
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by petemacsydney » 20 Jan 2014, 5:51 pm

I don't know much about the mechanics, but I was using a .22 recently that actually fired the round when u took it off safety (it was not a "design feature"). I always said I would never trust a safety, and that little old but well kept .22 solidified it for life!

No bad outcomes though, as I had it on target, per sop..

If I want it safe, i remove all the rounds and bolt.
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by reddog » 20 Jan 2014, 6:14 pm

When I was doing my firearms licence the instructor was pretty adament about never trusting a safety, empty chamber unless you are going to pull the trigger.

While putting a Lowey trigger kit in my CZ .22 if you use to light a spring (there are 4 in the kit) the gun will go off with the safety on, gun cocked big thump on the butt on the bench and it fires but this is with about a 6 ounze trigger pull which is to light anyway.

As the instructor says you treat every gun as loaded anyway so empty chambers are the way to go
reddog
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Monty » 20 Jan 2014, 8:34 pm

Not the best picture but you can see an example here...

ruger-lc6-trigger.jpg
Ruger LC6 Trigger
ruger-lc6-trigger.jpg (15.38 KiB) Viewed 7139 times

This is the Ruger LC6 trigger.

See directly behind the trigger spring there is a cylinder with 1/4 cut out? That's the safety mechanism.

When it's 'safe' it's in a position so the flat of the cylinder is blocking the trigger from pulling. When it's 'hot' it's in a positions so the 1/4 cut-away is above the trigger and not blocking it.

When it's 'safe' it's a pretty solid mechanism for preventing a discharge, but nothings perfect... Things wear out, steel flexes, metal wears down and corners get rounded off leading to a loose safety and so on...

It's not the same for every action, but there's an idea of how one works for you.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 20 Jan 2014, 8:58 pm

Blocking the trigger will not necessarily stop a firearm from discharging.

In general the Firing Pin is held by the Trigger Sear. If enough force through impact is applied the Sear can drop and release the Firing Pin and the firearm will discharge. Some people polish, grind and/or adjust sear engagement which can render a firearm dangerous.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 20 Jan 2014, 9:03 pm

rainwalker wrote:Question is what would it take for a safety to fail.

Could a really hard drop cause it?

As a ridiculous example which no one would do... If you clubbed a rock with your rifle or tossed it off a roof or something stupid, could regular blunt force do it?

The safety mechanism (not the safety switch) is always inside the stock/action where you couldn't knock it directly. You'd have to smash the stock to knock it like you're talking about.

Vibration though, a jolt at the wrong angle, you never know...

Even with the safety on, you've still got a cocked spring and a firing pin pointed at a primer.

The best safety's an empty chamber or an open bolt.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Rippah » 22 Jan 2014, 12:26 pm

There is a video on youtube along these lines where a guy from the Aus military (I think? could be wrong) is testing this with a Steyr AUG.

He basically puts a dummy round in, loads it, then bashes like a club against crates and chucks in in the air to free fall and all sorts of abuse in an attempt to get it to fire.

Doesn't happen though.
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Dirtdart89 » 26 Jan 2014, 9:25 pm

A few years ago while I was in the army a mate of mine had a rifle that was brand new, despite having an armourer look at it, it would fire with the safety engaged. The f88 styer also has a drop safety built in to avoid drops from discharging or disengaging the safety. I'm not sure if other rifles have something similar...
Outnumbered? More like target rich environment.
7.62mm
Dirtdart89
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by jays » 27 Jan 2014, 3:41 pm

Dirtdart89 wrote:A few years ago while I was in the army a mate of mine had a rifle that was brand new, despite having an armourer look at it, it would fire with the safety engaged.

And he couldn't work out the problem?

Not say that I could figure it out, but then I'm not an army base armourer.

Bit of a worry getting handed a rifle for the day by that bloke :lol:
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Dirtdart89 » 04 Feb 2014, 12:22 am

Haha nah, I never found out what happened to it. I assume they cut it up and recycled all the parts without serial numbers. But in general I don't rate the F88 styer very highly, as a combat rifle it has poor sights, rusts at a slight rise in humidity is dangerous to use left handed if set up for a right handed firer, and for new trainees I witnessed several people melt skin to the barrel due to a lack of experience with weapons but also there is no heat covers like on the m16 or pretty much every other combat rifle. So kinda dangerous for new shooters especially with the gas port right by the foregrip...
7.62mm
Dirtdart89
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by SendIt » 04 Feb 2014, 8:12 am

Pity you couldn't de-mil and take as a souvenir from your army days.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rainwalker » 06 Feb 2014, 9:41 am

SendIt wrote:The safety mechanism (not the safety switch) is always inside the stock/action where you couldn't knock it directly. You'd have to smash the stock to knock it like you're talking about.

Vibration though, a jolt at the wrong angle, you never know...

Even with the safety on, you've still got a cocked spring and a firing pin pointed at a primer.

The best safety's an empty chamber or an open bolt.

I'm with you on the open bolt, that's what I do when walking round anyway rather than use the safety.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Thanks for the picture too Monty, heaps helpful.
Nothin' like a good thirty aught six
rainwalker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Dirtdart89 » 07 Feb 2014, 8:04 am

Haha nah I wasn't interested in em, do have a shed full of crap that I couldn't sell to the lads before I left though haha.
7.62mm
Dirtdart89
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 07 Feb 2014, 2:14 pm

Out of curiosity Dirtdart, in you're army days did you have "your" rifle which you were issued with then required, or do they all just go on the rack and everyone gets given whatever at random?
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Dirtdart89 » 10 Feb 2014, 1:18 am

Varies from regiment to regiment. My unit tried to do the one man gets the same rifle but due to postings/long courses/discharges/weapon servicing/manning changes... Pretty much every time I went bush I had a different rifle. Was a bit easier for me though was one of the few with the 40mm qual. Bearing in mind I wasn't infantry, just the lowly combat engineer who just happens to always be with the infantry, often in front of them too. Not that they like to admit it.
7.62mm
Dirtdart89
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by redrum » 10 Feb 2014, 10:19 am

A lowly human shield :P

:lol:
Good news, everyone!
- Hubert J. Farnsworth
redrum
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Dirtdart89 » 10 Feb 2014, 12:10 pm

Yeah pretty much looking for mines with our feet and such. Also the magic black sticks (mine detectors) made us pretty fancy (high value) sniper targets.
7.62mm
Dirtdart89
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Farmjer » 10 Feb 2014, 3:01 pm

I thought they had mine clearing vehicles these days?

Like a tank with an armoured front and revolving metal flail at the front that detonates the mines ahead of the vehicle?

f*** walking through a minefield with a detector in hand :lol:
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by harlow » 10 Feb 2014, 3:14 pm

Farmjer wrote:Like a tank with an armoured front and revolving metal flail at the front that detonates the mines ahead of the vehicle?

LOL. Forget needing infantry, just roll out one of those things into the enemy trench :D
Savage 25 Lightweight Varminter .223 Rem
Savage Model 25 LVT .17HMR
harlow
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Dirtdart89 » 10 Feb 2014, 5:50 pm

Yeah flails have been around since about ww2 and we do have newer vehicles with ground penetrating radar and such but the Australian army is a bunch of tight arses and we don't use them as much due to things breaking off when they explode.
7.62mm
Dirtdart89
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by beepar » 10 Feb 2014, 8:00 pm

Dirtdart89 wrote:the Australian army is a bunch of tight arses and we don't use them as much due to things breaking off when they explode.

I've got the answer...

BIGGER FLAILS! :lol:
beepar
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Dirtdart89 » 10 Feb 2014, 8:27 pm

Yeah unfortunately the Taliban are a lot smarter than we give em credit for they build the pressure plate or trigger up in front of the main explosive so when the flail or whatever hits it, the main charge will be pretty much right under the vehicle. I'm not sure if they have tried extending the flails or rollers but they would probably figure it out after a few days.
7.62mm
Dirtdart89
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Monty » 10 Feb 2014, 8:50 pm

There's another clearer which is basically a plough if I remember right. The name escapes me, but it's a UK built one I'm pretty sure.

Probably doesn't put on the same show as the flail contraption... A bit simpler, basically a thick enough armoured front-end that it can sweep up everything in it's path detonations and all.

Any former-army Brits here?
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Dirtdart89 » 10 Feb 2014, 10:38 pm

I know the type, they stuck a plough on a tank either an abrahms or a leopard. I don't recall can only use those in minefields, not so much roads.
7.62mm
Dirtdart89
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by pucker » 11 Feb 2014, 2:11 pm

I think we're talking about this...

Called the "Trojan Engineer Armoured Tank Vehicle".
pucker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Dirtdart89 » 11 Feb 2014, 4:16 pm

Yup that's the one.
7.62mm
Dirtdart89
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 11 Feb 2014, 4:58 pm

That thing looks bad ass.

Got the excavator arm on it and everything.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 19 Feb 2014, 6:20 pm

Dirtdart89 wrote:Yeah unfortunately the Taliban are a lot smarter than we give em credit for they build the pressure plate or trigger up in front of the main explosive so when the flail or whatever hits it, the main charge will be pretty much right under the vehicle. I'm not sure if they have tried extending the flails or rollers but they would probably figure it out after a few days.

It took them 10 years to find a little old Grey Haired man riding a donkey there smart alright!!!! As for the safety if you have one in the tube and hope that it won't fail then I'm staying in the ute your on your own !!LOL :mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles