Stalking Vs Target shooting

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Stalking Vs Target shooting

Post by bigrich » 09 Nov 2018, 11:00 am

Anyway, back to topic. All you fellas in a relationship,tell your missus you need a light weight rifle for stalking otherwise it’s going to cost lots of money for a chiropractor at a later date. Actually, ya better use the word “hunting “ instead of “stalking “ someone might think your the wrong kind of stalker :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 09 Nov 2018, 12:51 pm

bigrich wrote:Anyway, back to topic. All you fellas in a relationship,tell your missus you need a light weight rifle for stalking otherwise it’s going to cost lots of money for a chiropractor at a later date. Actually, ya better use the word “hunting “ instead of “stalking “ someone might think your the wrong kind of stalker :lol:

My girlfriend says I'm a stalker - well TECHNICALLY she's not my girlfriend, YET. :D
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by solarpak » 10 Nov 2018, 9:49 pm

My advice - buy the better half a decent camera and take her hunting with you!! My wife loves hunting with me and even helps with the carry out ......

Anyway stalking vs target....all about weight if your looking into stalking.... but i do a lot of deer hunting where i sit in a ground blind - and thus a target gun (semi-heavy sporter or varmint) works very nicely..... but i wouldn't even look at using these rifles if shooting on foot and doing lots of walking or climbing.....

Thats it really - aint rocket science.... there are folks who carry heavy outfits as stalking rifles - and thats ok - but at the end of the day, its their back and wallet when they go to the physio or chiro!!!

Cheers
CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 11 Nov 2018, 5:57 am

bigrich wrote:
Stix wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
bigrich wrote:The bachelor life for me fellas. The only things I worry about are beer, diesel, bullets , or bait. :lol: :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup:

Same here mate, livin the dream, no boat anchor here holding me back from doing what I want to do. :drinks:

Single here too guys...

But if ever get a partner ill definately try Dr Ziad's relationship advice...!

He could get his own show like Dr Phil !?! :lol:

Good on ya stix, trust me you shall

Channel 10 already offered me a spot, but I am waiting the call from Oprah
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Nov 2018, 6:37 am

solarpak wrote:My advice - buy the better half a decent camera and take her hunting with you!! My wife loves hunting with me and even helps with the carry out ......

Anyway stalking vs target....all about weight if your looking into stalking.... but i do a lot of deer hunting where i sit in a ground blind - and thus a target gun (semi-heavy sporter or varmint) works very nicely..... but i wouldn't even look at using these rifles if shooting on foot and doing lots of walking or climbing.....

Thats it really - aint rocket science.... there are folks who carry heavy outfits as stalking rifles - and thats ok - but at the end of the day, its their back and wallet when they go to the physio or chiro!!!

Cheers
CK

Thanks for the reply.
But the question somewhat remains...I’ll put it another way.
Is there a light weight sporter / hunting rifle (or is there one that stands out as better than others) - that is a typical “carry” rifle - as in 2.5-3kg - but will not over heat after shooting two groups of 3 in side 5 minutes?

From my limited experience you can’t have both...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 11 Nov 2018, 6:51 am

well tas, at the moment i think my a7 sako in 308 is pretty good. it's quite light. a mate of mine has a steyr pro hunter in 308 also , it's light and i reckon it's capable of doing what you want. even with factory ammo it makes one hole. the safety might take some getting used to , but once you know it , it's very good. i think the biggest problem for the australian shooter these days is there is so much choice. :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 11 Nov 2018, 6:54 am

Get a towel wrap it around the barrel pour water on the towel, to cool the barrel quicker.

I am no expert in shooting/hunting but logic says a metal barrel will heat up quicker the thinner it is. Probably if toy can find a carbon fiber barrel that might fit as it cools quicker.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Nov 2018, 9:42 am

bigrich wrote:well tas, at the moment i think my a7 sako in 308 is pretty good. it's quite light. a mate of mine has a steyr pro hunter in 308 also , it's light and i reckon it's capable of doing what you want. even with factory ammo it makes one hole. the safety might take some getting used to , but once you know it , it's very good. i think the biggest problem for the australian shooter these days is there is so much choice. :thumbsup:

I think your right. I have a steyr and it seems to have a light weight, but varmint thickness barrel that’s twist fluted. It’s still heavier than normal by 1kg but it will shoot 12- 15 shots before needing a rest...a friends sako does the same but is lighter and more expensive.

I understand there are other artificial ways to cool barrel with towels etc but I’m not a metallurgist but I’ve seen metal do very weird things with tempering and similar - it concerns me when accuracy can be compromised by a .01 inch hotspot.

I think big rich is on the money for me, a slightly heavier barrel than the lightest sporter barrels is the answer...and a steyr fits that bill.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by PoorShot300 » 14 Nov 2018, 4:26 pm

Tassie, don't know your budget, but if buying a used rifle, have you considered getting a carbon fibre barrel as used on the Christenson Arms rifles? I haven't looked at the cost, but thought it was an unmentioned option and I'd throw it into the mix.

fft...
PoorShot300
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Nov 2018, 6:21 pm

Yes, I’ve had a look at the carbon wrapping but two things concern me in this space. 1 - budget for even a sh rifle with carbon is beyond my 1500 all up budget.
2 - having lived and breathed motorcycles for 30 years, I cannot understand what amendments the manufacturer has made to the CF process to ensure that brittleness does not become an issue.
10 years ago, the rage was carbon fibre pipes but the heat absolutely stuffed the carbon fibre after only a couple of years - it became warped, brittle, cracked, fell apart....initial enquires around the failures found the baked in resin to be wanting, so given the heat transfer on barrels - im a little...aloof of CF wrapped barrels.

I’m still waiting for some ppl to return calls, emails RE offers I’ve made on their for sale ads on used guns and ozguns - although 2 ppl came back today and said sorry - sold awhile ago. Not helpful.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Daddybang » 14 Nov 2018, 7:05 pm

TassieTiger wrote:but will not over heat after shooting two groups of 3 in side 5 minutes?

From my limited experience you can’t have both...

Overheating after six shots in five minutes???
I'll put twenty thru the .243 in fifteen mins without a problem. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 15 Nov 2018, 2:02 pm

So got absolutely sick of being stuffed around by private sellers - went into lgs and plumped for a new steyr mannlicher, 30-06 with pic rail.
I love the set trigger(like 1pound in forward and 2.5 in normal), spiral flute and solid construction feel.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles