Remington 783’s - good, bad, ugly?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Remington 783’s - good, bad, ugly?

Post by Bridgy » 15 Nov 2018, 9:35 pm

r.dunn wrote:Hi All,

I’m disappointed to discover this forum only after I have ordered (and paid for) a Remington 783. I’m new to shooting (apart from one week of training and a qualification shoot when I was in the cadets over 15 years ago!), so was relying on the advice of my local gun shop. The 783 was one option which was presented to me (noting it wasn’t the first one I was given to look at!).

In the end, I liked the look of the MDT chasis and tactical package (included bipod and scope). I’m also a fan of the pistol grip. Plus, the reviews online (apart from this thread!) suggested it was good for the class it’s in. So, I went ahead with it...

As a new target shooter (not planing on hunting in the immediate term), I’m hoping the rifle will be accurate enough as my first rifle. I’m definitely not experienced enough to notice the types of complaints people have talked about here...so maybe it’s a good thing to learn on a not-so-great rifle! Who knows?

But, I’d be interested in recommendations for my second firearm!

My review probably came across negative, but it shot okay. If you are putting it in a chassis, then a lot of the issues I had with mine are then resolved. Mine produced groups just over 1in in size with cheap Sellier & Bellot ammo, and it killed quite a few goats before I moved it on. So, while they aren't brilliant, nor would I expect yours to be a complete lemon.
Bridgy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by r.dunn » 17 Nov 2018, 1:33 pm

Hi All,

Just a quick update...

After reading the posts here, and doing a little more research online, I decided against the 783. The 'good' reviews I read originally were primarily for hunting, and since my plan is to start on the range, I didn't think the Remington was going to make the cut. The only way I was going consistent groupings was with manual loading - and that's not an option at this stage (I don't really have the space at home, the time to learn, or anyone to show me how!). So, until I make a few friends at the range (or in this forum), I need a rifle which will work well with factory ammunition.

After a few phone calls with the local gun shop, I was able to change the order and upgrade to a different rifle. I've taken the advice from this forum and have decided on the Tikka T3x. I seriously considered the CTR version, but I really do like the the pistol grip. In the end, I opted for the TAC A1 fixed stock upgrade package (including bipod and case). I'm sure I'll look like a bit of a try-hard with the TAC A1, but as I read in another thread here, I chose the one which appealed the most to me - screw everyone else! The reviews for the TAC A1 tested the rifle out at long ranges and...after a lot of work...I hope to one day be able to hit those long range shots too! But, I'm not getting ahead of myself.

Price wise, it's a little more than I wanted to spend (rifle is now $3,146 and still have to get an optic!)...but what's money for if you can't buy things which make you happy. This will be my Christmas present to myself.

I just received confirmation that my PTA is approved as of 24 November (exactly 28 days since I applied), and the rifle stoked at Melbourne. So, with any luck, I'll be able to pick it up the week after next.

Now...I need to change to the Optic thread and get some advice on glass :)
22LR Lithgow LA101 Crossover
308WIN Tikka T3x TAC A1
r.dunn
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 17 Nov 2018, 3:23 pm

You won't regret spending the extra money on the Tikka, I am guessing this one is 308 as well?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Nov 2018, 3:28 pm

Double post...boody iPhones and passion fingers...
Last edited by TassieTiger on 17 Nov 2018, 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Nov 2018, 3:33 pm

Good move. You might have spent a little more but you’ve more than likely saved a shed load in frustration!!
I literally just handled about 6 different tikkas in 30-06...and was soo close to buying another...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 17 Nov 2018, 3:45 pm

The tikka t3x tac a1 is a bloody good gun. Congrats on the purchase and good luck. Which shop?
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 17 Nov 2018, 4:17 pm

if you look after this rifle you will have it a long time, IMO good choice :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by r.dunn » 17 Nov 2018, 5:18 pm

SCJ429 wrote:You won't regret spending the extra money on the Tikka, I am guessing this one is 308 as well?

Thanks! Yes, I had to get .308 to use the same PTA.

Ziad wrote:The tikka t3x tac a1 is a bloody good gun. Congrats on the purchase and good luck. Which shop?

Queensland Gun Exchange
https://www.qldgunexchange.com/tikka-t3 ... ckage.html

marksman wrote:if you look after this rifle you will have it a long time, IMO good choice :thumbsup: :drinks:

That's the plan! I plan on getting some better cleaning accessories, and investing in better quality solvents and oils.
22LR Lithgow LA101 Crossover
308WIN Tikka T3x TAC A1
r.dunn
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 17 Nov 2018, 7:41 pm

Get a bore guide if you don't already have one
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel