Remington 783’s - good, bad, ugly?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Remington 783’s - good, bad, ugly?

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Nov 2018, 2:20 pm

I’m seeing some Remington 783’s advertised brand new at extremely cheap prices and almost no one that I speak with, recommends that model - can anyone shed light on why? Does anyone on the board have one? How do they shoot?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: Remington 783’s - good, bad, ugly?

Post by marksman » 09 Nov 2018, 3:27 pm

I tricked one up for a bloke quite a while ago
IMHO no good, bad and very ugly
but you get what you pay for, some casual shooters may think they are good enough for what they want :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Nov 2018, 3:44 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I’m seeing some Remington 783’s advertised brand new at extremely cheap prices and almost no one that I speak with, recommends that model - can anyone shed light on why? Does anyone on the board have one? How do they shoot?

My brother looked at one a couple years back so I did some research online. I can't remember what I found but the overall gist wasn't sounding good to me. Steered him into a Ruger American Predator instead.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Nov 2018, 6:43 pm

You would need to replace the trigger and bed the action. After that you have a 50/50 chance that the barrel is rubbish. You don't need the heartache.

If you need a project, get a Ruger #1, at least they look good.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Thom318 » 09 Nov 2018, 11:39 pm

I've got one in .223 that came up at the right price at the right time, as in dirt cheap at the last minute. I had two of the package scopes unusable under warranty, one bent, the other wouldn't adjust either way, so I slapped on a cheap scope, cleaned up a few rough spots in the throat and it actually shoots surprisingly well. The action is reasonable and the trigger was ok without adjustment. My mate who has Tikkas was impressed with it for the outlay. I didn't buy it for a 'forever' gun, but I figured it was cheap, ugly, but shoots well, it'll definately be good enough until I can afford something far nicer, and I don't feel bad if I knock it about a little
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 10 Nov 2018, 10:34 am

i have never been a fan of the 783 and i have a few remingtons and i would say stay away from remington right now they are not doing good.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Nov 2018, 11:53 am

Interesting replies, thanks.
They seem to be one of the cheapest new rifles on the market at present...and I always thought they were the named rifle Company but apparently not so - at least with the 783. I’ve handled a new one recently - compared to my tikka and steyr, yeah a little bit clunky and not as refined but still felt nicely balanced...hmmm. Ok, thinks me should look elsewhere for my 06 replacement. Cheers.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 10 Nov 2018, 1:24 pm

Interesting replies, thanks.
They seem to be one of the cheapest new rifles on the market at present...and I always thought they were the named rifle Company but apparently not so - at least with the 783. I’ve handled a new one recently - compared to my tikka and steyr, yeah a little bit clunky and not as refined but still felt nicely balanced...hmmm. Ok, thinks me should look elsewhere for my 06 replacement. Cheers.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 10 Nov 2018, 4:05 pm

Thom318 wrote:I've got one in .223 that came up at the right price at the right time, as in dirt cheap at the last minute. I had two of the package scopes unusable under warranty, one bent, the other wouldn't adjust either way, so I slapped on a cheap scope, cleaned up a few rough spots in the throat and it actually shoots surprisingly well. The action is reasonable and the trigger was ok without adjustment. My mate who has Tikkas was impressed with it for the outlay. I didn't buy it for a 'forever' gun, but I figured it was cheap, ugly, but shoots well, it'll definately be good enough until I can afford something far nicer, and I don't feel bad if I knock it about a little

this is the way I saw it :thumbsup:
I got the one I tricked up to shoot quite well but it wont for long, the scopes are a joke but as Thom318 said "its definately good enough till he can afford some thing nicer" :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 11 Nov 2018, 7:00 am

What price you getting the 783 for? I have seen plenty of howa 1500 in houge stock going for 599-700. And you know they will always shoot good.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Nov 2018, 9:48 am

I’ve seen the 783 down at 599 with a weird little 3x9 scope onboard.

My budget for rifle (06) is 1-1500 and I know I can simply buy a tikka or steyr or rem 700 or howa but just interesting as to the wide choice.
The 06 won’t be used a lot so not fussed if it’s a chesper rifle as long as it shoots moa.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 11 Nov 2018, 10:48 am

Mate I would suggest howa or a ruger. Howa has moa guarenteed in USA. But if your budget was 1500... then heaps of good options, don't get a s**t gun if you can afford a good one, as you will regret it.

My logic is get the best you can afford.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 11 Nov 2018, 12:10 pm

IMO this would be something to look at, same as my 30-06
www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=137717

or this except for the oal problems with tikka's and long cases
www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=133929

or this one is a really good price, good for carrying
www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=135582

30-06 is a very good cartridge :thumbsup: :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 11 Nov 2018, 12:20 pm

I don't like usedguns anymore..... It makes me spend money and get in trouble with the wife
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Nov 2018, 12:32 pm

marksman wrote:IMO this would be something to look at, same as my 30-06
http://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=137717

or this except for the oal problems with tikka's and long cases
http://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=133929

or this one is a really good price, good for carrying
http://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=135582

30-06 is a very good cartridge :thumbsup: :drinks:

Thanks for the links - I think any of those would fit the bill. Might fire off a couple of offers.
Edit - Made an offer on two of those above - thanks again for taking the time.

Also - this one caught my eye...? Thoughts ?
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=133630
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 11 Nov 2018, 12:47 pm

it looks the goods to me but just remember that the tikka's do have an oal problem with the long cases and big jump to the lands
that doesn't mean you wont get it to shoot but you wont be able to use long projectiles without seating them back into the case
really its up to you but this one does sound like you would be buying a new rifle just about :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Nov 2018, 1:56 pm

I know what you mean - just developing a load for my 260 and I ended up putting a small 2mm groove in magazine to accomodate tips of projectiles.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bridgy » 12 Nov 2018, 6:05 pm

I had one. In almost every aspect, it was 'okay'. It shot okay, trigger was okay, stock was ok. Fit and finish was a bit crap, as in, I could see the ammunition in the magazine between the action and the stock. The scope it came with was nothing special, but it worked well enough. The bolt knob is annoying, being flat, and comes quite close to the scope when you work the bolt.

For what I paid ($550 back when they came out) it was okay. I sold it when the price of them went back up and bought a Tikka. Never looked back.

There are definitely better guns for the money these days!
Bridgy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by r.dunn » 15 Nov 2018, 12:01 am

Hi All,

I’m disappointed to discover this forum only after I have ordered (and paid for) a Remington 783. I’m new to shooting (apart from one week of training and a qualification shoot when I was in the cadets over 15 years ago!), so was relying on the advice of my local gun shop. The 783 was one option which was presented to me (noting it wasn’t the first one I was given to look at!).

In the end, I liked the look of the MDT chasis and tactical package (included bipod and scope). I’m also a fan of the pistol grip. Plus, the reviews online (apart from this thread!) suggested it was good for the class it’s in. So, I went ahead with it...

As a new target shooter (not planing on hunting in the immediate term), I’m hoping the rifle will be accurate enough as my first rifle. I’m definitely not experienced enough to notice the types of complaints people have talked about here...so maybe it’s a good thing to learn on a not-so-great rifle! Who knows?

But, I’d be interested in recommendations for my second firearm!
22LR Lithgow LA101 Crossover
308WIN Tikka T3x TAC A1
r.dunn
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 15 Nov 2018, 6:31 am

What type of target shooting are you planning? What distances??
After posting this question on the forum I too asked local shop and they confirmed everything within - said Rem having major quality issues.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Nov 2018, 7:22 am

All is not lost with your purchase RD. Get to know your gunsmith who can adjust your trigger and bed the action. The barrel finish can be rough and cause lots of copper fouling. Get a good copper solvent like Bore Tec Cu+ and you can lift the bore finish using bore paste or Autosol. Talk to your gunsmith if you are unfamiliar with this. It can be soul destroying for a new shooter when they can only produce five inch groups and you read about people with their stock rifles shooting 1/2 inch or better. What caliber is your Remington?

If I were a new shooter and was going to buy a rifle, I would get a Tikka Varmint in 223, put a Nightforce scope on it and learn to reload.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Nov 2018, 7:22 am

r.dunn wrote:Hi All,

I’m disappointed to discover this forum only after I have ordered (and paid for) a Remington 783. I’m new to shooting (apart from one week of training and a qualification shoot when I was in the cadets over 15 years ago!), so was relying on the advice of my local gun shop. The 783 was one option which was presented to me (noting it wasn’t the first one I was given to look at!).

In the end, I liked the look of the MDT chasis and tactical package (included bipod and scope). I’m also a fan of the pistol grip. Plus, the reviews online (apart from this thread!) suggested it was good for the class it’s in. So, I went ahead with it...

As a new target shooter (not planing on hunting in the immediate term), I’m hoping the rifle will be accurate enough as my first rifle. I’m definitely not experienced enough to notice the types of complaints people have talked about here...so maybe it’s a good thing to learn on a not-so-great rifle! Who knows?

But, I’d be interested in recommendations for my second firearm!

I wouldn't be too concerned, you might have a great shooting rifle.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by r.dunn » 15 Nov 2018, 8:26 am

TassieTiger wrote:What type of target shooting are you planning? What distances??

I haven’t decided yet! My plan was to use my rifle to re-familiarise myself with shooting and become confident. I remember the training I received all those years ago, so want to develop my technique and be sure I can get the rounds on the target before I start looking at a specific discipline.

I’m interested in accuracy and precision. I’ll start shorter range, but believe I’ll ultimately looking at longer range. Maybe I need to join QRA as well (currently just in SSAA). For position, something other than bench rest...maybe three positional.

Thoughts?
308WIN Tikka T3x TAC A1
r.dunn
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 15 Nov 2018, 9:40 am

I thought the SSAA at Belmont shot 3 positions as well as other disciplines? Whoops, silly me, are you close to Belmont?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by r.dunn » 15 Nov 2018, 10:28 am

RoginaJack wrote:Whoops, silly me, are you close to Belmont?

Yes, I’m in Brisbane.

I’m not sure what disciplines are offered - I’m sure they will do three positional. But let’s see how well I can shoot with the 783 before narrowing in on a discipline. But, thinking allowed, the idea of just doing bench rest and nothing else would seem a little tedious for me, personally.
308WIN Tikka T3x TAC A1
r.dunn
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by r.dunn » 15 Nov 2018, 10:35 am

SCJ429 wrote:Get to know your gunsmith who can adjust your trigger and bed the action.

Does the action not come pillar bedded? Is something more recommended?

SCJ429 wrote:What caliber is your Remington?

It’s a .308 WIN. I wanted something similar to what I fired those many years ago as a kid (which was a 7.62mm NATO round, from memory). Also, I wanted something which actually felt like it was firing, not like the .22LR used during the safety course. Plus, I understand the 308 would be better when I make the jump to longer distances...assuming the 783 accuracy isn’t as terrible as this thread suggests it may be!
308WIN Tikka T3x TAC A1
r.dunn
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 15 Nov 2018, 10:48 am

I’d be very interested on hearing how accurate your 783 does turn out as even my local gun shop won’t carry them now - for a number of reasons according to him, including poor performance. The rem 700’s - he seems content with, tikka, howa, Mauser, Ruger, etc but the 783 seems to be hit/miss. But that being said - as others have advised, every gun is different - so if you do have issues, you have warranty regardless.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 15 Nov 2018, 12:26 pm

r.dunn wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:Get to know your gunsmith who can adjust your trigger and bed the action.

Does the action not come pillar bedded? Is something more recommended?

It’s a .308 WIN. I wanted something similar to what I fired those many years ago as a kid (which was a 7.62mm NATO round, from memory). Also, I wanted something which actually felt like it was firing, not like the .22LR used during the safety course. Plus, I understand the 308 would be better when I make the jump to longer distances...assuming the 783 accuracy isn’t as terrible as this thread suggests it may be!

although pillars are called bedding they are not, they are in fact anti crushing tubes that will stop the stock from crushing :huh:
another one of the salesman bullshite lies to make something more attractive to buy
also understand that a gunshop is there to sell guns and they are sales people, I get very annoyed at some of the bullshite I hear from especially new shooters that were told by the counter jumpers at the gunshop so it must be true, your rifle may shoot ok but its a very budgetly made rifle that is a throw away, my advise is do not spend money on it, I don't even think they are made by Remington like a few other Remington's that are outsourced to other company's, a tikka or howa would be a better start IMHO :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 15 Nov 2018, 12:44 pm

r.dunn wrote:

Do you have a .22LR as well?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Nov 2018, 5:19 pm

If you want to shoot 3P you should start with a 22lr, it is good enough to get you to the Olympics. I really enjoyed competing in 3P competitions, much harder than it looks and great real world applications.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles