first cold clean barrel shots

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

first cold clean barrel shots

Post by marksman » 17 Nov 2018, 7:52 pm

I thought I'd put a photo of the first shots from my 30-06 brno after cleaning it showing how it settles down for the guys who are interested
the bottom shot is the first, the upper right shot is the second and the three shots horizontally are what it will do off a bipod all day because it has settled down
I will not clean this barrel unless storing it for a while or it starts to shoot off which is around 100 shots
this is probably more to show the newer guys that seasoning the barrel before a hunt can help :drinks:

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: first cold clean barrel shots

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Nov 2018, 8:10 pm

Interesting.. Don't you even oil it?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Nov 2018, 9:00 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Interesting.. Don't you even oil it?

I don't put anything through the bore until poor accuracy tells me it's time to clean it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by r.dunn » 17 Nov 2018, 9:15 pm

This is interesting.

I'm a new shooter and just bought my first rifle. The overwhelming consensus of opinion (from the people who have given me advise) is to clean, clean, clean! So, I'm interested to see how the comments on this thread progress.

Does the fact you're first shot is from a cold barrel have anything to do with the spread? By the third shot, the barrel temperature would be relatively consistent, yeah? Again, I'm a new shooter so I'm seeking to understand - not to question!

Thanks!
22LR Lithgow LA101 Crossover
308WIN Tikka T3x TAC A1
r.dunn
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 18 Nov 2018, 6:25 am

It’s pretty common for first shots from a clean barrel to be a bit random in both smokeless and smokeful powder rifles. Some rifles need foulers, barrel warmers, sighters (call them what you like) and others don’t seem to care. It’s a trial and error thing and each barrel is an individual.
My (Pedersoli) .40-65 Sharps doesn’t care. My 1871 .50-70 Husqvarna rolling block definitely needs a fouler. My 1874 .577-.450 Martini-Henry looks like it needs to be dirty too but none of my muzzle loaders need foulers. As I said - it’s a trial and error thing that’s needs trigger time to find out.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 18 Nov 2018, 7:29 am

I swear by this method. Foul the barrel then take it out clean when you get back home. First few trips i went on id either miss or be off and being new to it all id just put it down to being me. Read about this same procedure and now swear by it and consequently dont miss my first few shots
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 18 Nov 2018, 10:41 am

r.dunn wrote:This is interesting.

I'm a new shooter and just bought my first rifle. The overwhelming consensus of opinion (from the people who have given me advise) is to clean, clean, clean! So, I'm interested to see how the comments on this thread progress.

Does the fact you're first shot is from a cold barrel have anything to do with the spread? By the third shot, the barrel temperature would be relatively consistent, yeah? Again, I'm a new shooter so I'm seeking to understand - not to question!

Thanks!

It depends on how you are shooting.
Ideally, you want the bore condition to be as consistent as possible for each shot.
For some people, that means they want the bore spotless for every shot simply because it allows them to control it.
For most, we want the bore to be in the condition in which it gives us the most consistent accuracy. You want to be able to take your rifle out of the safe and know that the first shot is going to go where you want it to. Target shooting allows for fouling or sighting shots, hunting doesn't.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 18 Nov 2018, 12:43 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Interesting.. Don't you even oil it?

I may oil it if I am leaving it for a while but dont want to clean it as I dont have the time to settle it down again,
usually inox on a patch but the first shot will shoot out of the group

Blades explanation is spot on for what I do :thumbsup:

and what noisy said is again spot on :thumbsup:

I have other rifles that are no more than 1/2 inch out of the group for the first shot but then its all together :drinks:
I have seen other rifles that may take a few more shots before they settle down and shoot consistently
it's something to think about when you are going hunting or shooting test groups :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 18 Nov 2018, 12:48 pm

r.dunn wrote:This is interesting.

Thanks!

when doing this I dont shoot five shots straight after each other, I dont want the barrel hot until I am actually in the group
I have had this rifle over 20 years and really know how it will behave, you dont want a hot barrel :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 22 Nov 2018, 7:17 pm

FWIW and YMMV Oiling the bore with Ballistol is a practice learned from full bore shooters. It has a little corrosion inhibiting effect and the first shots were pretty close to the main group.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 22 Nov 2018, 8:48 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:I swear by this method. Foul the barrel then take it out clean when you get back home. First few trips i went on id either miss or be off and being new to it all id just put it down to being me. Read about this same procedure and now swear by it and consequently dont miss my first few shots

this is what couple of my rifles do.i shoot about 6 rounds the week before i go away and just nylon brush the barrel to get powder residue out. and your right about the first couple being on the money when your in the feild :thumbsup: :drinks:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles