Seasoning a new barrel and cleaning

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Seasoning a new barrel and cleaning

Post by straightshooter » 21 Nov 2018, 6:51 am

If somebody, anywhere in the googleverse, were to offer an explanation based on factual metrologically traceable observation as to the efficacy of 'barrel break in' rather than speculative gobbledygook then I will be the first to admit I am wrong.
It seems to me to be just a myth that gets reinforced by it's retelling and if anything it just accelerates wear in barrels.
Now look at the 'big picture' as the former grim reaper national treasurer was fond of saying. More wear in barrels leads to more barrel sales, more wear in rifles leads to more rifle sales.
What would you say to a tyre maker advising you to follow a procedure of numerous sequential burn outs to break in your tyres?
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 21 Nov 2018, 7:07 am

The best people to give you advice are barrel makers, Dan Lilja have posted advice about this which is available online. If you think barrel makers only tell you this to help wear out your barrel, then this advice will have no weight. For me, the amount of copper deposited during run in needs to be removed. If you don't the barrel will become heavily fouled and never shoot.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 21 Nov 2018, 7:09 am

If you ask Krieger in youtube he said what run it, shoot it from day one. Many others say run it in. Some say that's hissy good for business for barrel makers. I dunno who is right.

I cleaned first and then run in my barrel. About 20 shots. Alan swan mentioned similar 1 shot then clean, repeat for 5 shots. Then clean every 3 rounds till reach 20. I am no expert but I reckon 20 is not many and it's fun shooting
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Roo farmer » 21 Nov 2018, 9:33 am

Stix wrote:
Sorry if i came accross abrupt--didnt mean to... :D

As straightshooter says, common sense dictates cleaning a new barrel.

They are coated in something for rust prevention hence why a patch in a new barrel will be dirty.

I just assumed all rifles are fired in a factory to ensure they are safe.

But id be worried if you get metal filings out of a new rifle before you fire it...
If i had that id take it back before i fired it.
:drinks:

No worries mate, I didn't take it as being abrupt.

When I said filings, I didn't mean chips and chunks of swarf. I meant any tiny iron powder particles that might be in there. I might be wrong. But if I am, what is the black stuff that comes out on a patch that you put through a brand new rifle barrel? And really, I don't think it matters what it is, I think it should be cleaned out first before you fire the first shot and get all worried about whether to follow a break in procedure or not.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Nov 2018, 9:39 am

I only give it a good clean before the first shot.. Then perhaps after each shot give it a basic clean for first 3 or 4 shots.

Then use as normal.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 21 Nov 2018, 12:10 pm

straightshooter wrote:If somebody, anywhere in the googleverse, were to offer an explanation based on factual metrologically traceable observation as to the efficacy of 'barrel break in' rather than speculative gobbledygook then I will be the first to admit I am wrong.
It seems to me to be just a myth that gets reinforced by it's retelling and if anything it just accelerates wear in barrels.
Now look at the 'big picture' as the former grim reaper national treasurer was fond of saying. More wear in barrels leads to more barrel sales, more wear in rifles leads to more rifle sales.
What would you say to a tyre maker advising you to follow a procedure of numerous sequential burn outs to break in your tyres?

metal on metal wear is the issue. expensive rifles often have hand lapped barrels to help with the wear in procedure. a lot of rifles have rough machined barrels which foul easily with copper when new which would accelerate preasures and wear . if your trying to force a bullet at 2900 FPS down a barrel thats got excess fouling in it somethings going to give or expand .after many years in the old car scene, i can tell ya alot of stories about people regarding break in procedures for everything from fresh motors and gearboxes to brake pads and wheel bearings. and some fellas having to rebuild a motor costing thousands cause they were too impatient to "run in" a set of camshaft lifters or having front wheel bearing failure after only six months because they paid no attention to adjustment during wear in. and in car racing the tyre tread in some classes are "buffed" to a angle/camber to suit the front/rear of the vehicle . i can't see patching and brushing wearing out a barrel. if it does you're doing something wrong. if someone who makes barrels that win competitions advises you that this will help, wouldn't ya do it ? you can take or leave my statement, it was intended to enlighten, not critisize . :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 21 Nov 2018, 4:43 pm

The real reasoning for running a barrel in is to get rid of a burr left behind after making the barrel or burrs from chambering
even expensive hand lapped barrels can have a burr the length of the barrel on a land, I have seen them with a borescope
the burr can only be burnt off hence the need for cleaning the barrel so it can be burnt off, why clean if there is nothing to clean :unknown:
if your barrel does not foul with copper what are you cleaning :unknown:
you should clean before shooting then inspect the bore down the muzzle for traces of copper if there is none shoot again till there is :wtf:

Gail Mcmillan said that it is an ozzie barrel maker he taught that started the fad with barrel break in

http://www.6mmbr.com/GailMcMbreakin.html

http://www.snipercountry.com/barrel-break-in/

but if it makes you feel all fuzzy and warm go nut's :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 21 Nov 2018, 5:11 pm

i'm warm and fuzzy at the best of times MM, i just like to clean new barrels cause i'm OCD :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Nov 2018, 5:50 pm

bigrich wrote:
Diamond Jim wrote:It depends who you ask. Some will say "just go and shoot it" others have a specific run-in procedure. I'd look at high end barrel manufacturers for guidance but, for what it is worth, I've followed a run-in routine with all my new rifles.
Shoot, clean after each round for 5 rounds.
Shoot 5 rounds, clean for a total of 25 rounds.
After that, clean after every outing whether you shoot 1 or lots more.

That's just me as guided by what others suggest. I have no evidence it does anything to make a barrel better but I have no evidence it hurts either. Many say it is no use at all and some say it is harmful to a barrel.
If you research this topic it has been covered many times. You just need to pick a side and go with it. I don't think there is any right or wrong. I just err on the side of caution.
JIm

I’ve had new barrels fitted by Allan swan and from memory this was the run in procedure he advised. Rifles are manufactured metal products. A car is more complicated, but would you get a new car, cane the crap out of it, overheating bearings and seals, and still expect it to last a long time ? I’d rather take the time to run in a rifle I’ve paid good money for to make sure I get a lot of good accurate use. Cheers

I don’t reckon they baby drag car engines much :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Nov 2018, 6:25 pm

So, despite advice to the contrary...
I swabbed the barrel pre shooting and it was pretty black. 5 tissues later, cleanish.
I then fired 6 shots and swabbed the main funk out with a couple tissues and a nylon.
I fired another 10 shots and then used a little copper solvent and thoroughly cleaned again with nylon and tissue.
I then fired 3 more to get into paper and 2 follow up to close group.
Cleaned once more - pretty vaguely this time and I’m feeling next session will be on a bench to dial in and that will be her...loving the gun so far but fug me those set triggers are insanely light. Did not even register on the trigger pull gauge...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Diamond Jim » 21 Nov 2018, 7:16 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
bigrich wrote:
Diamond Jim wrote:It depends who you ask. Some will say "just go and shoot it" others have a specific run-in procedure. I'd look at high end barrel manufacturers for guidance but, for what it is worth, I've followed a run-in routine with all my new rifles.

That's just me as guided by what others suggest. I have no evidence it does anything to make a barrel better but I have no evidence it hurts either. Many say it is no use at all and some say it is harmful to a barrel.
If you research this topic it has been covered many times. You just need to pick a side and go with it. I don't think there is any right or wrong. I just err on the side of caution.
JIm

I’ve had new barrels fitted by Allan swan and from memory this was the run in procedure he advised. Rifles are manufactured metal products. A car is more complicated, but would you get a new car, cane the crap out of it, overheating bearings and seals, and still expect it to last a long time ? I’d rather take the time to run in a rifle I’ve paid good money for to make sure I get a lot of good accurate use. Cheers

That's true but then the serious teams re-build motors after each race meeting and often between races. They are not built for endurance or longevity.

Ultimately it is up to the individual to do what he/she is comfortable with. I'm not going to criticise anyone for not running in their own barrel but I'll continue to do a break-in routine because my rifle belongs to me.

I remember picking up a brand-new Landcruiser and someone from the dealership asked for a lift. He was stunned that I sat in the carpark and actually read the manufacturers recommended run-in procedure before driving off and more surprised when I religiously followed that procedure. 27 years later with basic servicing that ute has clocked up over 600,000 km with no major issues. Maybe it helped, maybe it didn't but I'm convinced it didn't hurt.
Jim
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 21 Nov 2018, 8:06 pm

TassieTiger wrote:So, despite advice to the contrary...
I swabbed the barrel pre shooting and it was pretty black. 5 tissues later, cleanish.
I then fired 6 shots and swabbed the main funk out with a couple tissues and a nylon.
I fired another 10 shots and then used a little copper solvent and thoroughly cleaned again with nylon and tissue.
I then fired 3 more to get into paper and 2 follow up to close group.
Cleaned once more - pretty vaguely this time and I’m feeling next session will be on a bench to dial in and that will be her...loving the gun so far but fug me those set triggers are insanely light. Did not even register on the trigger pull gauge...

it is really about what you want to do :drinks:
if you want to break in the barrel good for you but if you dont, it dont matter
just keep an eye on the copper looking down the bore into the muzzle with a torch
I have seen rifles that need quite a few rounds through it before they settle down and shoot consistently
but others that dont need any at all, I like hand lapped stainless barrels that are good from the get go :drinks:
I did find what Gail Mcmillan had to say interesting :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 21 Nov 2018, 8:19 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
bigrich wrote:

JIm

when they build a drag engine in street based cars, they at least run the cam in for 20 minutes on the dyno with assembly lube all over the cam and lifters, then the oil is dumped. moly piston rings are run in by this , old style cast rings take a couple of thousand kays to bed to the cylinder walls. standard "street" performance engines run about 3 thou in the bottom end bearings for a long engine life. track only motors run about 5 thou clearance in the bottom end so they have oil clearance and don't need to be run in except for the cam and they spin faster. metal expands as it heats up, a rifle barrel is no different.combined with fouling, a bore expanding with heat may also compress the bore.old millitary barrels are stepped and have very deep rifling to combat this. that's my theory anyway. you can shoot a old swede mauser until ya cant see through the scope for the heat mirage. but point of impact doesn't move much. when i first got my 6.5x55 with madco barrel, i shot a 10 shot group , not fast, but not slow either. the first couple of shots were under a inch , then the group started to open up , getting larger, but doing a reverse spiral in point of impact. never forgot that :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 21 Nov 2018, 8:38 pm

my Ruger .222 was very accurate from new and one day at my LGS a salesman told me to only clean after 50 shots.Did not work for me after 2 nights of shooting Kangaroos and about 35-40 rds the 3rd night it was way out and I had to set a metre by metre square and be at 25 metres to get all shots on paper,I had no cleaning kit with me so a costly failure.Now I clean after every session
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 22 Nov 2018, 5:41 am

So you saying mauser make more consistent barrels 100 years ago than maddco
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 22 Nov 2018, 11:46 am

Ziad wrote:So you saying mauser make more consistent barrels 100 years ago than maddco

maddco are the guys who started the barrel run in apparently :lol: :lol:
I myself stopped using maddco barrels after receiving one that fouled very badly and I gave up on it after 400 shots :unknown:
to be fair the barrel shot very well but was not hand lapped and I cant stand having to clean a barrel for a week :wtf: my bad really
maddco will hand lap but you have to ask for it and it costs a bit more
IMHO they should be doing it as part of just selling a premium barrel as well as air gauge, I know if it were me I would
it was a long time ago and maybe they have pulled there fingers out and do it now, maybe, I dont know
they cost as much as a hand lapped krieger or shilen that you can have here in around 2 weeks :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 22 Nov 2018, 11:50 am

Ziad wrote:So you saying mauser make more consistent barrels 100 years ago than maddco

Well, I never did the same 10 shot test on the 1941 husqvana swede. But the madco on my model 70 did react as described. The madco barrel has a tapered profile, the Swede military barrel is stepped and has a much heavier profile and the rifling lands are much deeper to compensate for fouling buildup. Military barrels are designed to cope with battlefield abuse, realistically a sporting rifle only fires a few times before game has run off . Get a good Swede Mauser and they will surprise you ziad. I probably shoulda kept mine, but having a scope on a classic rifle defeats the purpose. My eyes can’t deal with open sights anymore, if I’m going to shoot with a scope it might as well be a modern rifle I can run hotter loads in . That’s my perspective anyway. Cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 22 Nov 2018, 11:55 am

marksman wrote:

maddco are the guys who started the barrel run in apparently :lol: :lol:
I myself stopped using maddco barrels after receiving one that fouled very badly and I gave up on it after 400 shots :unknown:
to be fair the barrel shot very well but was not hand lapped and I cant stand having to clean a barrel for a week :wtf: my bad really
maddco will hand lap but you have to ask for it and it costs a bit more
IMHO they should be doing it as part of just selling a premium barrel as well as air gauge, I know if it were me I would
it was a long time ago and maybe they have pulled there fingers out and do it now, maybe, I dont know
they cost as much as a hand lapped krieger or shilen that you can have here in around 2 weeks :drinks:

I must’ve got a real good one. From clean and cold this rifle shoots to the same point of aim as after it has had a dozen shots through it. It’s my favourite rifle and I’ll never part with it
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 22 Nov 2018, 1:03 pm

heaps of smiths and accuracy shooters swear by them :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 22 Nov 2018, 3:51 pm

with any manufactered product there's always the possibility of a "brumby" sneaking through. no complaints about my madco barrel but. biggest PITA is finding a good smith who doesn't have a long waiting time at the moment. i got my model 70 222 in at allan swans getting rebarreled, it's gunna be a wait :unknown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Nov 2018, 5:50 pm

Well - not sure if I seasoned correctly or not, but put an old scope on this evening whilst waiting for Leo to turn up, just to try grouping a couple from the new gun.

3 warm ups then benched the rifle and pit in some fusions 180gn. Ranged at 146 yards and aimed at orange dot.

369E6B52-CA47-434E-8639-025990DB2DAC.jpeg
369E6B52-CA47-434E-8639-025990DB2DAC.jpeg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 3614 times
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 22 Nov 2018, 7:46 pm

bigrich wrote:with any manufactered product there's always the possibility of a "brumby" sneaking through. no complaints about my madco barrel but. biggest PITA is finding a good smith who doesn't have a long waiting time at the moment. i got my model 70 222 in at allan swans getting rebarreled, it's gunna be a wait :unknown:

Gees bigrich...;last i remember that 222 was knocking eyelashes off of fleas...what happened...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 22 Nov 2018, 8:41 pm

Stix wrote:
bigrich wrote:with any manufactered product there's always the possibility of a "brumby" sneaking through. no complaints about my madco barrel but. biggest PITA is finding a good smith who doesn't have a long waiting time at the moment. i got my model 70 222 in at allan swans getting rebarreled, it's gunna be a wait :unknown:

Gees bigrich...;last i remember that 222 was knocking eyelashes off of fleas...what happened...?

yup when i first got it, it was shooting one hole with 40 vmax. i stuffed it by cleaning. pulled the copper out and ended up with pitting in front of the chamber and a loose spot 6 inches from the end of the barrel. i could still get consistant 1 inch groups at 100 with 50 gn, but i know a 222 can do better. i think i remember you relating a tale about cleaning a old 22-250 that shot great and then went to crap after cleaning. ya win some , ya lose some.i've given the stock a birthday with some tru-oil. it came up not too bad :drinks: :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG_0179[1].JPG
a bit of sanding and 7 coats of tru oil
IMG_0179[1].JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 3603 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 22 Nov 2018, 10:16 pm

Ah good memory rich... :thumbsup:
Yup...did that to my ol' favourite...it used to pop heads off of foxes like the old "reach" toothbrush advert...

Then i decided to clean it...

WWAAAAHHH...!!
I cried for months...!!! :lol:

Im still in denial about it--pull it out every now & then & the bitch fuks with my mind...!!

It puts a few shots into an inch or so...flirts with me enuf for me to think it misses my love as much as i miss carressing her....then i start making plans for our living happily ever after & take her on another date... & when i get her on the dance floor, thats when she starts throwing holes in trees at a 45 degree angle to our tango line...

We go thru the old usual abuse...i threaten to give her away...things settle down & six months later i let her tear my heart out again...

I looked down her gullet with someones borescope & it was like looking at a 350 year old salty crock skin...!!...fire cracking that made the grand canyon look like a hairline crack in the block of an old HR with an over-revved & over-heated 186ci red.

Ah...sorry for my flashbacks...still have a big soft spot for her...its just cheaper to pimp out a new howa than pay for boob job & good dose of lipo suction if ya get my drift. :lol:
Neither of ehich i csn afford right now... :thumbsdown:

How long you have to wait for new barrel...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 23 Nov 2018, 4:32 am

Yeah well, bin told 6 to 8 weeks , hopefully because it’s just a barrel job that might be correct. The waiting times for some smiths cause they’re so busy can be ridiculous. I rang another local smith and was told to ring back in 6 months to see if they had any openings for more work. I think I got into the wrong trade. Cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by brinny » 14 Dec 2018, 8:01 pm

This has been a hotly debated subject on a number of forums that i am in....and has led to some VERY nasty comments, and created a huge firestorm due to differences of opinion.....
My method draws critisism from the die hard barrel cleaners etc....so i very seldom ever comment on posts like this...
But i never run a barrel in....its just straight to work.....nor do i ever clean my barrels....cant remember the last time i pulled a rod through any of my rifles....and i have a few.....
Now, im not saying for one minute that thats what i suggest you do....all im saying is it works for me and my rifles all still tackhole and they have had literally thousands of shots through them......
The best advice to give is do what you feel comfortable with....make no mistake, if you go down the path of running your barrel in....it will not do your barrel any harm whatso ever....and you have piece of mind....but nearly everyone has their own method of doing it....but which one is right.....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 14 Dec 2018, 8:26 pm

brinny wrote:This has been a hotly debated subject on a number of forums that i am in....and has led to some VERY nasty comments, and created a huge firestorm due to differences of opinion.....
My method draws critisism from the die hard barrel cleaners etc....so i very seldom ever comment on posts like this...
But i never run a barrel in....its just straight to work.....nor do i ever clean my barrels....cant remember the last time i pulled a rod through any of my rifles....and i have a few.....
Now, im not saying for one minute that thats what i suggest you do....all im saying is it works for me and my rifles all still tackhole and they have had literally thousands of shots through them......
The best advice to give is do what you feel comfortable with....make no mistake, if you go down the path of running your barrel in....it will not do your barrel any harm whatso ever....and you have piece of mind....but nearly everyone has their own method of doing it....but which one is right.....

your right brinny
and I recon the right way is what you think it is :thumbsup: :drinks:
but if you ask me what I do I will tell you :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles