Seasoning a new barrel and cleaning

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Seasoning a new barrel and cleaning

Post by marksman » 22 Nov 2018, 1:03 pm

heaps of smiths and accuracy shooters swear by them :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 22 Nov 2018, 3:51 pm

with any manufactered product there's always the possibility of a "brumby" sneaking through. no complaints about my madco barrel but. biggest PITA is finding a good smith who doesn't have a long waiting time at the moment. i got my model 70 222 in at allan swans getting rebarreled, it's gunna be a wait :unknown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Nov 2018, 5:50 pm

Well - not sure if I seasoned correctly or not, but put an old scope on this evening whilst waiting for Leo to turn up, just to try grouping a couple from the new gun.

3 warm ups then benched the rifle and pit in some fusions 180gn. Ranged at 146 yards and aimed at orange dot.

369E6B52-CA47-434E-8639-025990DB2DAC.jpeg
369E6B52-CA47-434E-8639-025990DB2DAC.jpeg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 3613 times
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 22 Nov 2018, 7:46 pm

bigrich wrote:with any manufactered product there's always the possibility of a "brumby" sneaking through. no complaints about my madco barrel but. biggest PITA is finding a good smith who doesn't have a long waiting time at the moment. i got my model 70 222 in at allan swans getting rebarreled, it's gunna be a wait :unknown:

Gees bigrich...;last i remember that 222 was knocking eyelashes off of fleas...what happened...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 22 Nov 2018, 8:41 pm

Stix wrote:
bigrich wrote:with any manufactered product there's always the possibility of a "brumby" sneaking through. no complaints about my madco barrel but. biggest PITA is finding a good smith who doesn't have a long waiting time at the moment. i got my model 70 222 in at allan swans getting rebarreled, it's gunna be a wait :unknown:

Gees bigrich...;last i remember that 222 was knocking eyelashes off of fleas...what happened...?

yup when i first got it, it was shooting one hole with 40 vmax. i stuffed it by cleaning. pulled the copper out and ended up with pitting in front of the chamber and a loose spot 6 inches from the end of the barrel. i could still get consistant 1 inch groups at 100 with 50 gn, but i know a 222 can do better. i think i remember you relating a tale about cleaning a old 22-250 that shot great and then went to crap after cleaning. ya win some , ya lose some.i've given the stock a birthday with some tru-oil. it came up not too bad :drinks: :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG_0179[1].JPG
a bit of sanding and 7 coats of tru oil
IMG_0179[1].JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 3602 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 22 Nov 2018, 10:16 pm

Ah good memory rich... :thumbsup:
Yup...did that to my ol' favourite...it used to pop heads off of foxes like the old "reach" toothbrush advert...

Then i decided to clean it...

WWAAAAHHH...!!
I cried for months...!!! :lol:

Im still in denial about it--pull it out every now & then & the bitch fuks with my mind...!!

It puts a few shots into an inch or so...flirts with me enuf for me to think it misses my love as much as i miss carressing her....then i start making plans for our living happily ever after & take her on another date... & when i get her on the dance floor, thats when she starts throwing holes in trees at a 45 degree angle to our tango line...

We go thru the old usual abuse...i threaten to give her away...things settle down & six months later i let her tear my heart out again...

I looked down her gullet with someones borescope & it was like looking at a 350 year old salty crock skin...!!...fire cracking that made the grand canyon look like a hairline crack in the block of an old HR with an over-revved & over-heated 186ci red.

Ah...sorry for my flashbacks...still have a big soft spot for her...its just cheaper to pimp out a new howa than pay for boob job & good dose of lipo suction if ya get my drift. :lol:
Neither of ehich i csn afford right now... :thumbsdown:

How long you have to wait for new barrel...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 23 Nov 2018, 4:32 am

Yeah well, bin told 6 to 8 weeks , hopefully because it’s just a barrel job that might be correct. The waiting times for some smiths cause they’re so busy can be ridiculous. I rang another local smith and was told to ring back in 6 months to see if they had any openings for more work. I think I got into the wrong trade. Cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by brinny » 14 Dec 2018, 8:01 pm

This has been a hotly debated subject on a number of forums that i am in....and has led to some VERY nasty comments, and created a huge firestorm due to differences of opinion.....
My method draws critisism from the die hard barrel cleaners etc....so i very seldom ever comment on posts like this...
But i never run a barrel in....its just straight to work.....nor do i ever clean my barrels....cant remember the last time i pulled a rod through any of my rifles....and i have a few.....
Now, im not saying for one minute that thats what i suggest you do....all im saying is it works for me and my rifles all still tackhole and they have had literally thousands of shots through them......
The best advice to give is do what you feel comfortable with....make no mistake, if you go down the path of running your barrel in....it will not do your barrel any harm whatso ever....and you have piece of mind....but nearly everyone has their own method of doing it....but which one is right.....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 14 Dec 2018, 8:26 pm

brinny wrote:This has been a hotly debated subject on a number of forums that i am in....and has led to some VERY nasty comments, and created a huge firestorm due to differences of opinion.....
My method draws critisism from the die hard barrel cleaners etc....so i very seldom ever comment on posts like this...
But i never run a barrel in....its just straight to work.....nor do i ever clean my barrels....cant remember the last time i pulled a rod through any of my rifles....and i have a few.....
Now, im not saying for one minute that thats what i suggest you do....all im saying is it works for me and my rifles all still tackhole and they have had literally thousands of shots through them......
The best advice to give is do what you feel comfortable with....make no mistake, if you go down the path of running your barrel in....it will not do your barrel any harm whatso ever....and you have piece of mind....but nearly everyone has their own method of doing it....but which one is right.....

your right brinny
and I recon the right way is what you think it is :thumbsup: :drinks:
but if you ask me what I do I will tell you :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles