Purchasing First Rifle - Advice?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Purchasing First Rifle - Advice?

Post by booomr » 19 Nov 2018, 4:28 pm

Hi guys, I'm just waiting for my PTA and licence to come back, which shouldn't be far away, and have settled on a Howa 1500 in Hogue Stock (223) for my first rifle. I've been looking around for prices etc, and the best price (by far) is an interstate store, whereas I am in Victoria. The query I had, is if I take the pricing I have to say, Gunco or my LGS (South Morang) do you think they'd be likely to do a similar price? I don't mind paying a bit extra, as I'd have to pay for postage and then the transfer at the dealer, but obviously if it's a couple hundred, it's better off for me to buy from interstate and get it sent down.

Thoughts, suggestions, advice?

For reference:

HOWA 1500
SPORTER
223REM, 5 SHOT
22" BARREL, 1 IN 9" TWIST
BLUED FINISH
SPECIAL

BARRELLED ACTION COMPLETE WITH
TRIGGER GROUP & BOTTOM METAL
SPECIAL NEW $469

WITH HOGUE GREEN STOCK NEW $549
WITH HOGUE BLACK STOCK NEW $549
Howa 1500 .223 Varmint
Dickinson T1000 12g Synthetic 28"
Bergara B14 Ridge .308 in McMillan TACA3
booomr
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Purchasing First Rifle - Advice?

Post by pete1 » 19 Nov 2018, 5:52 pm

You could get it shipped to south morang and pay transfer fees
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Nov 2018, 5:59 pm

Personally, I will never ask anybody to match somebody else's prices.
Tell your local dealer what is you're wanting and ask what he can do it for. Dealers should be able to do a decent price when they're ordering a rifle they know isn't going to sit on the shelf.

To buy and have it shipped down is probably about $45, plus the dealer will then hit you for interstate transfer and PtA. I figure on another $100 on the purchase price which generally covers it.

For a first rifle though I would've suggested a .22LR repeater - you'll get a lot more trigger time on a .22 than a centrefire.
Last edited by bladeracer on 19 Nov 2018, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 19 Nov 2018, 6:11 pm

I agree with Blade, the Howa .223 is an outstanding rifle for the price, I love mine, but for learning the basics of ballistics etc, a quality. 22LR is the go.

You will be able to blaze away without breaking the bank using a .22, then when you have a little experience behind you, go for the centerfire. Plus that way you'll have 2 :D
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by booomr » 19 Nov 2018, 6:17 pm

I should clarify, I did have a licence when I was younger and living in the country, and have spent a lot of time on a .22 and using a 12g (we even had a trap out the back of the school, and we could take shotguns to school - go figure), so I do know my way around a gun, but just stopped for probably the last 10 years or so.
Howa 1500 .223 Varmint
booomr
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 19 Nov 2018, 6:22 pm

Well in that case go for the Howa, by all means. Some will disagree, but many including myself, feel its one of the best bangs for the bucks on the market.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 19 Nov 2018, 6:41 pm

I’ll always spend a bit more to buy it from a local guy face to face.
They will be there in the future for support and warranty issues which is worth the extra few hundred any day.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 19 Nov 2018, 6:47 pm

Chappo wrote:I’ll always spend a bit more to buy it from a local guy face to face.
They will be there in the future for support and warranty issues which is worth the extra few hundred any day.

+1▲▲▲▲
Also the rapport that ya build with ya lgs can be worth a lot more than a couple of hundy in future purchases :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by booomr » 19 Nov 2018, 8:06 pm

For sure - I'd much rather buy locally, and happy to spend a bit more, but at the same time if it's getting too much more, I have to look at options - hence the post.

Ideally I'd be able to get the best price and nearby, but the world isn't perfect hahaha
Howa 1500 .223 Varmint
booomr
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by booomr » 19 Nov 2018, 8:59 pm

Thanks for the feedback and opinions, guys. To be honest, it's reinforcing what I was feeling, which is a good start.

1 - Head to South Morang, see what they'll do, if it's reasonable (paying a bit more, obviously) then buy
2 - Buy interstate and get it shipped as a last resort.
Howa 1500 .223 Varmint
booomr
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 19 Nov 2018, 9:08 pm

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I always ask if they can do better, and show that another shop is doing better. Thats just smart buying if you ask me.
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Archie » 20 Nov 2018, 5:21 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:Well in that case go for the Howa, by all means. Some will disagree, but many including myself, feel its one of the best bangs for the bucks on the market.

For the price they're excellent, but I wish they would redesign that mag release.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 20 Nov 2018, 8:19 am

booomr wrote:The query I had, is if I take the pricing I have to say, Gunco or my LGS (South Morang) do you think they'd be likely to do a similar price?

With due respect mate that's a question you'll have to ask your specific LGS.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by eddahenry » 20 Nov 2018, 10:40 am

If you have a great local ,, Like i am lucky to have ,, im willing to spend the extra at the local ,
if you like walking into your local and chatting and buying some stuff off the shelf , spend a little extra or one day you will go to walk in and it will be closed
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Nov 2018, 5:44 pm

The howa 223 can be had for about 695 in Victoria, the shops here will sting you extra for getting it from interstate and after you add in shipping charges, it works out pretty close, plus if ever an issue you don't have to ship to qld.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bristles1 » 26 Nov 2018, 3:03 pm

Getting it posted should only be about $35 and then dealers fees of what $50. He is the cheapest around.
Bristles1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Nov 2018, 7:54 pm

Can you transfer it through your gunsmith or club armourer?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by cflake » 26 Nov 2018, 9:03 pm

I just buy stuff that doesn't require a license - projectiles, cases, reloading gear, accessories, etc.
cflake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by axio » 27 Nov 2018, 8:01 am

Got one posted recently to NSW from QLD

Was $50 postage then $50 registration from memory, probably varies by state though. My LGS was $300 more than their list price so it was still worthwhile

My local seemed happier i just bought the rifle from someone else rather than haggle, I had to buy ammo and a bunch of other stuff from them anyway.
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles