Martini Cadet new barrel.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Martini Cadet new barrel.

Post by dont.own.shoes » 24 Nov 2018, 6:17 pm

has anyone put a new barrel onto a Martini Cadet. Currently barreled in 218 B but it's rooted so to get re barreled or to put a new barrel of some sort on it?

any opinions or experience?
Lithgow LA101 .22wmr
Sako 85 Hunter .223
Remington 7600 .308
dont.own.shoes
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Martini Cadet new barrel.

Post by No1_49er » 24 Nov 2018, 6:39 pm

Once in a while a new barrel appears on usedguns, but not often. And when they do, you have to be VERY quick.
If you want it back to original, maybe you can find a 310 barrel - even if it too is stuffed (and cheap) go for a sleeve/re-line?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Nov 2018, 10:17 am

allan swan is supposed to be a real whiz with these guns. it'll be a wait for a barrel, but give him a call :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 25 Nov 2018, 10:40 am

Rebel Gun Works have second hand .310 barrels also.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by N.Field » 25 Nov 2018, 12:20 pm

I have a Greener Cadet that a previous owner had rechambered to 32-40 and sporterised the wood. I had it rebarrelled by MAB to the same profile but in .357 magnum. They also bushed the firing pin and altered the extractor. It was over ten years ago and I can't recall the price but it wasn't ridiculously expensive.

With new wood she turned out pretty nice:

N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bill » 25 Nov 2018, 6:38 pm

Yeah tough choice, I have a Martini, was originally a Hornet, wasnt happy with the split cases so I had it bored out to 218Bee. All good but Sportco used lower rated steel for hornets and I got a bulge in the chamber pretty quickly.

After realizing I was about to spend a s**t load more money I would never have a chance on recouping I took a mates suggestion and used a 2nd hand SS Ruger 223 VT barrel, cost me $150, I spent $200 gettting it chopped back to 20 inches and getting it fitted and its now my most accurate gun in the safe, comfortably putting 5 into a 5 cent piece. Food for thought, ring a few Gunsmiths and ask em if they what they have lying around
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Maxjon » 22 Jan 2020, 2:25 pm

Anyone ever bored and chambered a stuffed 310 barrel out to .357 magnum.?
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by grumpy308 » 22 Jan 2020, 10:48 pm

Bullbarrel033. Back in the day when Martini cadets were a dime a dozen (actually 3 pound 10 from memory) Sprinter Arms in Hahndorf SA possibly did rebore some to 357 mag. A much more popular conversion was 357/310 where the original 310 barrel was retained with the chamber taken out to the larger 357 case size. There would probably be some of those barrels still floating around in places. Regards Malcolm.
grumpy308
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Maxjon » 23 Jan 2020, 6:33 am

Thanks Grumpy308. I really want the std. 357 mag. I have a bottomless supply of .358 bullets!
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by grumpy308 » 23 Jan 2020, 6:44 am

Hi Bullbarrel033. Not sure if Sprinter arms are still able to rebore barrels like they used to. They did shift from Hahndorf to Woodchester a while back and I haven't dealt with them since then. Perhaps contact them and have a chat, I have had several of their barrels over the years and all shot well. Regards Malcolm.
grumpy308
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Bill » 23 Jan 2020, 11:18 am

357 barrel dont often pop up but a 357 Martini would be a cool plinker. :thumbsup:

Ive just started collected bits over summer for a 17wsm build, managed to pick up a quality 17hmr barrel and BSA model 12 action cheaply. :drinks:
Last edited by Bill on 23 Jan 2020, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Maxjon » 23 Jan 2020, 11:27 am

Me too Bill! Got a BSA martini, but its 22magnum. Considering the 357 mag conversion......but it's probably more practical to find another 310 with a poor barrel. The block of my rifle is a rimfire striker, so by the time I find another block, or convert this one back???
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Bill » 23 Jan 2020, 12:10 pm

Yeah bullbarrell303 mucking around with a new extractor and converting to centrefire is only going to add to the cost of build. Cadets build cost can quickly up.

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 23 Jan 2020, 2:32 pm

grumpy308 wrote:Hi Bullbarrel033. Not sure if Sprinter arms are still able to rebore barrels like they used to. They did shift from Hahndorf to Woodchester a while back and I haven't dealt with them since then. Perhaps contact them and have a chat, I have had several of their barrels over the years and all shot well. Regards Malcolm.

He won't rebore anything now. And to be frank....I kinda think he may be losing the plot a little from my last experience with him unfortunately
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 23 Jan 2020, 2:51 pm

bigpete wrote:He won't rebore anything now. And to be frank....I kinda think he may be losing the plot a little from my last experience with him unfortunately

It does get very windy up there on that hill...!!

Maybe the expression 'too much fresh air...' has some validity.

Shame no one will replace him though...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 23 Jan 2020, 4:45 pm

Up on what hill lol.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 23 Jan 2020, 5:33 pm

You've been there havent you...?

I just remember it blowing a gale & being at a reasonable elevation (up on a hill :unknown: ) when i was there for him to charge me for some work making the problems with my rifle way worse than when i got there...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 23 Jan 2020, 5:46 pm

I've been there quite a few times. I'd not have considered it a hill,but I guess it's a bit of a rise
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by gunnnie » 26 Jan 2020, 8:45 am

Another one you could contact is Tobler. I have a cadet that they built in 357mag. Straight 1.5" dia 24" long, I call it the 'Franken-Cadet'. But it certainly shoots 200gn JSP pills very well.

++1 for Swanny. He's my go to man for anything Martini Cadet.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tank » 27 Jan 2020, 6:48 pm

I expect if presented with a Cadet it would be a case of ‘why are you messing around with that rubbish?....buy yourself a new rifle....’
We shoot 310’s at my local pistol club. I’ve long toyed with the idea of some exotic cartridge chambering. To be honest the 310 is exotic enough....and great fun to boot!
(Always thought a .256 Winmag would be awesome!)
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Maxjon » 28 Jan 2020, 6:10 am

Yeah think I will keep it for a rainy day......I know dealer who has lots of parts. See what he has one day maybe....
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by 4godsako » 04 Mar 2020, 2:29 pm

G'day cadeteers......
Can anyone here Point me in the direction of a
"Gunsmith"( He says with great hesitation suspicion and usually disappointment)
who is gifted with the black art of
rebarreling/chambering a BSAMartiniCadet(to
Hornet or 218).....correctly ?
Also any plug-n -play stock manufacturers pref here in OZ or abroad ? ......I've found a few in the US that even laser scan the mating points of your metal, then does same to either your supplied wood (once CNC milled to your choice of pattern) or their off the shelf wood for a no hand finishing fit.
Loads of custom cadets in the US and I once worked in gun shop during Howard's confiscation back and in that 6 mths three unbeknownst to one another Americans bought all cadets in stock and had us cut the barrels off and butt stocks off to simply carry them back as hand luggage......imagine trying that on here....
Dutton would surely raid the airport with his secret (Beasley's wool for) SSK .
It's just I've got a cadet action (310 ejector) just crying out to have FAR TOO MUCH MONEY plied upon it to so I can say "Oh, thats just a custom rifle I built".
And explode Wrascal Wabbits
lol. :unknown:
4godsako
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 05 Mar 2020, 8:08 pm

Alan Swan had done numerous Cadet builds over the past 30+yrs that I've known of him. Currently he is finishing off a custom Martini build for me chambered in 20-222Rimmed. I also have another Cadet action waiting for a PTA and this will go to Alan as well. I'm looking at a 25cal build, possibly 25-222Rimmed or maybe 256Maxi.
I'm also going to pass an Afghannie Kyber Pass Martini Henry to Alan for another project, an 18" barrelled single shot in 45LC. I trust Alan with such bulls and he is the only one I'd consider for a custom Martini build.
As for timber, Geoff Slee is unfortunately no longer with us, but Cameron Hatcher has a lot of his gear and profiles. Cameron has add Martini Cadet stocks to his inventory and while I don't have one of his stocks, yet, they certainly look good.
Custom chamber wise, I have seen these actions chambered in anything from 22LR up to 30-30. Currently, my little collection consists of a Sportco 22 Clubmaster, BSA 12/15 22LR, 17Ackley Hornet, 22K-Hornet, 17-222rimmed, 20-222Rimmed, 222Rimmed & 357Mag. As well as three original 310Cadets. They're great rifles/actions and a worthy addition to every shooter's safe.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bill » 05 Mar 2020, 8:16 pm

4godsako martini's whilst simple and fun and get expensive real quick, infact your probably better off buying a completed rifle off usedguns just for the timber. A average bit of timber profiled and finshed will set you back $600. I use 2nd hand barrels for builds but timber work gives me shivers :lol: :thumbsup:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 08 Mar 2020, 2:20 pm

What do you fellas reckon a brand new martini barrel in the grease still would go for?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 08 Mar 2020, 3:35 pm

Thinking I might look for an action in good order.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by snag » 08 Mar 2020, 5:47 pm

If you're thinking of going 357 mag, why not go 357 Maximum? 20 grains of Ar2205 behind a 158 grain pill is a ton of fun in these little fellas.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 08 Mar 2020, 6:09 pm

JimTom wrote:What do you fellas reckon a brand new martini barrel in the grease still would go for?

If its only a 17, 20, 22 or 25 cal barrel, its probably only worth $30-$50...but ill give you $80 for it mate...& pay transfer on top.. :thumbsup:

:)

:unknown:

:lol:

(...worth a crack...)

:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 08 Mar 2020, 6:39 pm

Stix wrote:

If its only a 17, 20, 22 or 25 cal barrel, its probably only worth $30-$50...but ill give you $80 for it mate...& pay transfer on top.. :thumbsup:

:)

:unknown:

:lol:

(...worth a crack...)

:drinks:[/quote]

310 barrel mate in grease with sights.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Maxjon » 17 Mar 2020, 1:53 pm

I've sorted out what mods I need to convert my RF striking block back to CF striker. It's pretty simple. Had a change of plans might go with the 221 Rem Fireball for it now. Rimless extractor appears to be the hard find here in AU. But I think I can make one, anyhow.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles