Recoil help

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Recoil help

Post by sickooli » 02 Dec 2018, 1:23 pm

Hi everyone, hope you are all well, my buddy just bought a 300winmag, Sako Bavarian very nice rifle with a Swarovski Scope. He gave me a go at shooting it on a target and the scope just missed my eyebrow, I therefore s$&?t myself and didn’t shoot anymore, my questions are; 1.do you hold your breath when squeezing the trigger?.2.do you with your lower three fingers keep pressure toward your shoulder etc, as you can probably tell I’m new at this and any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, best regards Tom, and please take care.
sickooli
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Recoil help

Post by Daddybang » 02 Dec 2018, 2:54 pm

I like to keep good contact with the shoulder(without jamming the butt in) and letting the shoulder relax so it "absorbs" the recoil rather than "stopping" it. If that makes sense :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 02 Dec 2018, 3:17 pm

Tuck it in and hang on mate. It may feel like being booted by a mule now but you will get used to it with experience. A 300WM is a lot of rifle if you are new to shooting.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 02 Dec 2018, 3:37 pm

Don't want to be the dog in the manger Tom, but do we take it from this post that you have somehow got past your domestic violence issues?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 02 Dec 2018, 5:53 pm

you will find that different loads will recoil differently with a 300wm,
I find the heavier projectile loads push instead of punch because of the different powder used
hang onto the fore end tightly, dont stop breathing, calm breaths squeezing the trigger,
your bottom 3 fingers dont need to crush the rifle into your shoulder just a firm hold
how you are shooting will make a big difference eg... off a bench rest, prone, or standing up off hand
a good eye relief is needed but I have got myself a weatherby eyebrow in the past from shooting a 308 because I was being cocky
you get that :lol: :lol:
the more you play the easier it will be to shoot :drinks: it is a great cartridge IMO :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by sickooli » 02 Dec 2018, 6:26 pm

Daddybang wrote:I like to keep good contact with the shoulder(without jamming the butt in) and letting the shoulder relax so it "absorbs" the recoil rather than "stopping" it. If that makes sense :drinks:
Thanks Daddybang l think l understand, should l hold my breath?.
sickooli
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by sickooli » 02 Dec 2018, 6:28 pm

JimTom wrote:Tuck it in and hang on mate. It may feel like being booted by a mule now but you will get used to it with experience. A 300WM is a lot of rifle if you are new to shooting.
Thanks JimTom
sickooli
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Dec 2018, 6:28 pm

I get hit it the face a lot due to being tall. I drag my face away from the scope to give me a little more eye relief. Best thing for taming recoil is adding weight, heavy scope, heavy barrel or just add some lead to the stock. The other thing that helps shoot things with a bit of recoil is a light trigger. After a couple of hundred rounds practicing with that 300 and you will love it.

All the gun shy 300 shooters add a brake, I am not a fan but if you need one it is always an option. After you get hit in the head a dozen times you get use to that too. When people ask you what happened I just say "Fight Club"
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sickooli » 02 Dec 2018, 6:32 pm

marksman wrote:you will find that different loads will recoil differently with a 300wm,
I find the heavier projectile loads push instead of punch because of the different powder used
hang onto the fore end tightly, dont stop breathing, calm breaths squeezing the trigger,
your bottom 3 fingers dont need to crush the rifle into your shoulder just a firm hold
how you are shooting will make a big difference eg... off a bench rest, prone, or standing up off hand
a good eye relief is needed but I have got myself a weatherby eyebrow in the past from shooting a 308 because I was being cocky
you get that :lol: :lol:
the more you play the easier it will be to shoot :drinks: it is a great cartridge IMO :thumbsup:
Thank you Marksman, do l pull the trigger inhaling or exhaling or that dont matter. I think they call it scope bite, and l have a big forehead lol.
sickooli
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by sickooli » 02 Dec 2018, 6:35 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I get hit it the face a lot due to being tall. I drag my face away from the scope to give me a little more eye relief. Best thing for taming recoil is adding weight, heavy scope, heavy barrel or just add some lead to the stock. The other thing that helps shoot things with a bit of recoil is a light trigger. After a couple of hundred rounds practicing with that 300 and you will love it.

All the gun shy 300 shooters add a brake, I am not a fan but if you need one it is always an option. After you get hit in the head a dozen times you get use to that too. When people ask you what happened I just say "Fight Club"
Thanks SCJ429 you made me laugh, very good excuse though.
sickooli
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 02 Dec 2018, 6:53 pm

As marksman said keep breathing I shoot just at the bottom of an exhale just before I start breathing in...it takes a little bit of practice to pick that moment but when ya do get there it becomes almost instinct. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 02 Dec 2018, 8:00 pm

Daddybang wrote:As marksman said keep breathing I shoot just at the bottom of an exhale just before I start breathing in...it takes a little bit of practice to pick that moment but when ya do get there it becomes almost instinct. :thumbsup: :drinks:

perfect :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 02 Dec 2018, 9:50 pm

Shooting from standing offhand helps absorb the recoil. But at the end of the day, I say outright just don’t shoot it, especially if you’re concerned about it. shoot a smaller caliber and save yourself the pain.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 Dec 2018, 10:22 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about the recoil mate, you won't be doing too much shooting without that licence you were rejected for
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 Dec 2018, 10:52 pm

PS, i should probably add for the benefit of others reading this thread, that remark wasn't me trying to be a dick, (it just comes naturally sometimes) ... but the incongruity of this thread asking for tips to tame the recoil of a 300 Win mag, with the OPs last one about him being rejected for a licence due to a suspended prison sentence for domestic violence had me smelling an Anti Troll thread
Member-Deleted

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Dec 2018, 11:20 pm

Be a man... it's manly to have recoil. Stand your ground and power through... for uber cool points don't wear any ear protection.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 03 Dec 2018, 3:01 am

Everyone has a different tolerance to recoil. If your introduction to shooting was a .300WM then that's like "hi, welcome to boxing. Here's your sparring partner Mike Tyson..."
Don't give up. there are techniques to avoid "scope bite" it's a bit unfair of your buddy to give you a go without warning in advance. My "big rifle" is a .270 and I always demonstrate so a new shooter knows what to expect.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 03 Dec 2018, 4:33 am

A new shooter probably shouldn’t play with 300 win mag too much as he may well develop flinch and poor technique.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 03 Dec 2018, 6:14 am

Recoil is recoil.
Even a modestly recoiling rifle with poor stock fit and inappropriately positioned scope or poor eye relief can be a handful.
Although a 300 Win mag has plenty of bark and bite it in reality isn't all that much more than many popular standard calibers, such as 30-06 in similar bullet weights.
The thing to consider is that many a time a rifle that is no problem to shoot offhand can be a dog to shoot off a bench and vice versa. All due to stock design and fit.
The worst thing you can do is to 'psyche' yourself with fear of recoil.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 03 Dec 2018, 7:50 am

The trusty old 22 lr is where every new shooter should start. I met a young couple at the range one day, and the young lass was closing hear eyes and turning hear head while shooting the boyfriend’s 243 (much to his amusement ) . I loaned my 22 CZ to the girl, and with a few pointers, after a hour, as I was leaving she was just about shooting one hole at 50. Not just the recoil but the noise was putting her off. I think she shoots that 243 better than him now :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 03 Dec 2018, 8:06 am

Prudent advice bigrich. Makes a lot of sense. .22lr a great starter to develop technique.
As someone eluded to previously, learning on a larger caliber rifle could lead to the formation of habit forming poor technique.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 03 Dec 2018, 8:08 am

Member-Deleted wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about the recoil mate, you won't be doing too much shooting without that licence you were rejected for

Ya dont need a license to go to a range and shoot ya mates rifle. :drinks:

bigrich wrote:The trusty old 22 lr is where every new shooter should start. I met a young couple at the range one day, and the young lass was closing hear eyes and turning hear head while shooting the boyfriend’s 243 (much to his amusement ) . I loaned my 22 CZ to the girl, and with a few pointers, after a hour, as I was leaving she was just about shooting one hole at 50. Not just the recoil but the noise was putting her off. I think she shoots that 243 better than him now :lol:

While I agree 100% the op isn't licensed so may not have access to a .22 and has to shoot whatever his mqte owns. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Dec 2018, 8:20 am

yeah Daddybang, a form 33A in Qld i think, i assume Victoria has a similar thing. Bit of an exercise in frustration though isn't it, repeatedly going to a range on a form 33A when barring an appeal miracle, you're never getting a licence anytime soon. and i thought the OP wanted firearms to hunt - i don't think borrowing a mate's rifle is going to stretch to that unlicenced. but then given his criminal history, he probably won't care
Member-Deleted

Post by Daddybang » 03 Dec 2018, 8:30 am

Agreed he isn't getting a license anytime soon from what he's posted previously. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TheDude » 03 Dec 2018, 8:43 am

Member-Deleted wrote:yeah Daddybang, a form 33A in Qld i think, i assume Victoria has a similar thing. Bit of an exercise in frustration though isn't it, repeatedly going to a range on a form 33A when barring an appeal miracle, you're never getting a licence anytime soon. and i thought the OP wanted firearms to hunt - i don't think borrowing a mate's rifle is going to stretch to that unlicenced. but then given his criminal history, he probably won't care

in Queensland with the form 33A you’re making a declaration that there is no reason you wouldn’t be issued a licence. Any priors that have caused him to be rejected should also stop him from shooting under a 33A
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 03 Dec 2018, 9:19 am

While we’re on the subject of lisencing ( yeh, I know I spelled it wrong ) , the thought of losing my license is the only thing that’s kept me calm after being road raged by some idiot on the weekend, on my way home from the range with a couple of rifles in the back. Didn’t ring the fuzz on the clown cause even just being involved in such a incident can put your license at risk :unknown: I kept my calm and let it go. Is it just me or are more people going nuts with road rage around Christmas every year :unknown: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 03 Dec 2018, 9:30 am

TheDude wrote:
Member-Deleted wrote:yeah Daddybang, a form 33A in Qld i think, i assume Victoria has a similar thing. Bit of an exercise in frustration though isn't it, repeatedly going to a range on a form 33A when barring an appeal miracle, you're never getting a licence anytime soon. and i thought the OP wanted firearms to hunt - i don't think borrowing a mate's rifle is going to stretch to that unlicenced. but then given his criminal history, he probably won't care

in Queensland with the form 33A you’re making a declaration that there is no reason you wouldn’t be issued a licence. Any priors that have caused him to be rejected should also stop him from shooting under a 33A

Yep..but a range doesn't have any means to check that the person is being honest do they? :unknown:
I don't shoot at ranges so im not sure how they are run . :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 03 Dec 2018, 9:35 am

bigrich wrote:While we’re on the subject of lisencing ( yeh, I know I spelled it wrong ) , the thought of losing my license is the only thing that’s kept me calm after being road raged by some idiot on the weekend, on my way home from the range with a couple of rifles in the back. Didn’t ring the fuzz on the clown cause even just being involved in such a incident can put your license at risk :unknown: I kept my calm and let it go. Is it just me or are more people going nuts with road rage around Christmas every year :unknown: :thumbsup:

Its just getting worse everywhere(rd rage wise). I had a tosser tailgate and abuse me the other day cause I was sitting on 98kph in a hundred zone. ...with my girl spawn in the back so couldn't just jump on the brakes and introduce the d**kheads fan and radiator to my towball. :twisted: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 03 Dec 2018, 9:39 am

Your 98 is his 95.. maybe even 90.. and some ppl are in always a hurry. In your case I would slow down even more say 85 in a 100 zone..... that can upset them even more

On a different note, people driving at 90 in a 100 zone who suddenly stopped up to 105 in an overtaking lane drive me insane.

Edit. In my lancer, if anyone would annoy me I would slow 10kph than what I was doing. Eventually either the person gets the message or tries to speed up to overtake me... which was what I was hoping for... quick change of gears and wait until the guy is nearly past the tail light.... and a very hard mashing of the accelerator pedal the poor v6 commodore guy would have a first hand experience of what 300kw through 4wd system feels like... plus a fair bit of unburnt fuel. (That's about 500-550 very fresh horses at the crank in old money)

Have known others who run without a catalytic converter and have flames come out the exhaust when dropping to a lower gear... usually that's good enough to scare ppl
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Stix » 03 Dec 2018, 10:25 am

sickooli wrote:Hi everyone, hope you are all well, my buddy just bought a 300winmag, Sako Bavarian very nice rifle with a Swarovski Scope. He gave me a go at shooting it on a target and the scope just missed my eyebrow, I therefore s$&?t myself and didn’t shoot anymore, my questions are; 1.do you hold your breath when squeezing the trigger?.2.do you with your lower three fingers keep pressure toward your shoulder etc, as you can probably tell I’m new at this and any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, best regards Tom, and please take care.

Try removing the brake & holding your eye against the scope---that way it doesnt "hit" you cos its already touching you. :D

Well if you've basically no firearms experience whatsoever, and your goal is to ensure you develop a flinch that will extend beyond shooting any firearm, right through to a blink with every sharp noise you hear for the rest of your life...forcing yourself to continually shoot a 300wm while your body's physiology is begging for you to stop, is probably one of the best things to do in regard to accomplishing that goal...!!

In other words, im suggesting a 30 cal magnum cartridge is not what you should be learning on...try something smaller like a 22...or a 222/223...the latter being plenty big enough.

I wont comment on any history as its not my place & i didnt get to read all this & your other thread before you edited some of your initial responses so what others have said is all i can go by...but im assuming as daddyban has menyioned, you can only shoot what your mate lets you shoot.

If thats the case, you genuinely want to learn how to shoot, & you're not a troll (to be honest thats what this smells like), id be getting your mate to let you shoot something smaller...much smaller.

Some probably think im a woos, but im an experienced shooter with the small end of cartridges & ive shot & hunted all my life...but when i got my Tikka lite in 7-08 i had to "learn" how to shoot that off a bench....so to be honest, i think learning to shoot with a 300wm off a bench is one of the most ridiculous things one could do in life.
Not trying to be rude, just upfront...!!

Overall, the best advice i can give you is to NOT try what i initially suggested--that was clearly a preface of sarcasm to my post.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles