which lever gun and pistol caliber

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: which lever gun and pistol caliber

Post by in2anity » 11 Dec 2018, 9:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:Well, it does say Ballard, great price if it is.

Isn’t it - if I didn’t have a heap of other project rifles on the go I’d get one. Only problem I see is that short sight radius - not a problem if you whack some optics on it however...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 11 Dec 2018, 9:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I don't think it's cut rifling then, mine is a C model I think.

Yes I could be wrong I’m not 100%, but I could also be right. this is the model I’m talking about https://shootersdelight.com.au/product/ ... ion-rifle/ read about the barrel

Well, it does say Ballard, great price if it is.

shooters delight is a stones throw from where i work fellas . the marlins a better thing than the rossi ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Dec 2018, 9:17 pm

in2anity wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Well, it does say Ballard, great price if it is.

Isn’t it - if I didn’t have a heap of other project rifles on the go I’d get one. Only problem I see is that short sight radius - not a problem if you whack some optics on it however...

Or a rear peep.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 11 Dec 2018, 9:18 pm

bigrich wrote:yup, that's pretty good shootin' tex...... :D :thumbsup:

Lol well that’s more the scope and benchrest than me BR - but that’s a big advantage of marlins - trivial to scope.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 11 Dec 2018, 9:20 pm

bladeracer wrote:Or a rear peep.

Still short IMO, particularly on the shorter action. For offhand, a 24” Winnie with a tang on the other hand - now we’re taking! ;)
Last edited by in2anity on 11 Dec 2018, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 11 Dec 2018, 9:22 pm

bigrich wrote:
shooters delight is a stones throw from where i work fellas . the marlins a better thing than the rossi ?

Yes IMO without question. But just verify the rifling before you buy (if you want to shoot lead that is).
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 11 Dec 2018, 9:31 pm

I just upgraded my 30/30 to Ballard actually, my days of microgroove are officially over:

3CF69543-807A-4E59-B0D3-0175071EDD7F.jpeg
Marlin XLR 30/30, Marlin 1894CB 32H&R
3CF69543-807A-4E59-B0D3-0175071EDD7F.jpeg (820.95 KiB) Viewed 5439 times
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 11 Dec 2018, 9:36 pm

Being a small man with small man syndrome I'd forego the minor calibers and buy the Big Horny Armoury 460Mag lever gun. Pair this with the S&W 460XVR revolver and nothing survives for at least 200yds. You can soft c$@k it with 454 Cassull or 45 Colt for cheap plinking or if I was in Mexico it'd be the 500 versions of the lever & pistol but apparently in NSW I can't be trusted with such a powerful pistol....
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 11 Dec 2018, 10:42 pm

I've owned a Rossi 92 Saddle Ring Carbine in .357M for over 30 years and it has functioned flawlessly and is great fun. Quite accurate for the type of rifle it is. I'd be happy to use it for pigs in close country and has done good service on feral goats with factory ammo. Reloads in .38 or .357 are very cheap for plinking and if you happen to shoot Cowboy action or IPSC then you can use the same gun. A .44M handgun won't be approved for IPSC - I don't shoot Cowboy so can't comment there..
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 12 Dec 2018, 4:31 am

brett1868 wrote:Being a small man with small man syndrome I'd forego the minor calibers and buy the Big Horny Armoury 460Mag lever gun. Pair this with the S&W 460XVR revolver and nothing survives for at least 200yds. You can soft c$@k it with 454 Cassull or 45 Colt for cheap plinking or if I was in Mexico it'd be the 500 versions of the lever & pistol but apparently in NSW I can't be trusted with such a powerful pistol....

Your profile photo might look like “krusty the clown “ , but you’re firearms tastes are more like “Yosemite Sam” :lol: would be nice for me to own some canons. I read about those big horn armoury lever guns recently. It would be fun alright :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 12 Dec 2018, 4:33 am

Thanks for all your posts and opinions guys. Keep them coming

:drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 12 Dec 2018, 10:59 am

bigrich wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:My Rossi was a piece of junk. So is my Mossberg. May doG have mercy on your eternal soul for thinking about lever guns :crazy: ;)
Good Luck mate :thumbsup:

maybe i should perform a exorcism on a lever before i buy it :lol: what were the faults with your rossi and when was it made :unknown:

It's years since I owned that cursed thing, a Rio Grande and the YOM is unknown to me. Would not feed or fire but was accurate when it did. Something people do not take into account is the trips To and From the smith$$$$$ :shock:
Exorcism :D Only thing I didn't try ;)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 12 Dec 2018, 11:03 am

bigrich wrote:
in2anity wrote:There are 357 1894cs floating around that remlin did a short run of recently - they have ballard (I think). There’s one at Magnum for around $1300 new. Marlins and Winnie’s are really worth the extra dollars if you can scrape it together - id strongly recommend them over the replicas. For plinking the 357 is better (and cheaper obviously).

i hear ya, i would really like a miroku, it's , well, the money. descisions :crazy: :thumbsup:

The money is what influenced me into lesser brands and I am the poorer for my penny pinching :(
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 12 Dec 2018, 11:09 am

BTW
I "think" I recall something on www.marlinowners.com/forum about the latest Rossis, which was negative. Memory is not so good and I didn't pay much attention but I don't want you to get stuck with a lemon.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 12 Dec 2018, 11:24 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:
bigrich wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:My Rossi was a piece of junk. So is my Mossberg. May doG have mercy on your eternal soul for thinking about lever guns :crazy: ;)
Good Luck mate :thumbsup:

maybe i should perform a exorcism on a lever before i buy it :lol: what were the faults with your rossi and when was it made :unknown:

It's years since I owned that cursed thing, a Rio Grande and the YOM is unknown to me. Would not feed or fire but was accurate when it did. Something people do not take into account is the trips To and From the smith$$$$$ :shock:
Exorcism :D Only thing I didn't try ;)

That confirms what I’ve heard about Rossi. They can be exceptionally accurate, but some have feed problems. Bit of a lucky dip. If ya get a good one, they can be really good. Supposedly the last couple of years they’ve really lifted their game. Anyone bought a new one recently ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by wooosaah » 12 Dec 2018, 12:03 pm

I got mine for cowboy shooting and got it in 45 Colt over shooting 38's in a 357 because I wanted the bigger caliber. I'm getting my pistols in 45 Colt too. I got the Uberti 1873 competition Model and I like it a lot so far. Used it in 1 comp and got my best time and least misses. The front side is really helpful for finding target. Uberti is great because its a really nice looking gun with the colour case hardening and octagon barrel and a fair bit cheaper than the Winchester's with CCH. Certainly more expensive than the Rossi though.
wooosaah
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 12 Dec 2018, 1:18 pm

Hmmm,the only problems I've had from a lever action came from a 1895cb....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 12 Dec 2018, 4:28 pm

bigpete wrote:Hmmm,the only problems I've had from a lever action came from a 1895cb....

i think all the manufacturer's have had some bad runs at times . my local GS has a '92 rossi ,stainless, hex barrel. think it's a cowboy model. nice trigger. they also got a blued rossi 44 mag :roll: which one :crazy:

bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 12 Dec 2018, 5:00 pm

Go the blued rossi 44
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 12 Dec 2018, 5:11 pm

Avoid the Rio-grande, it is the inbred, bastard child, Marlin clone. The copies of the '92 Winchesters are the better option. That said, they are a cheap gun, you take your chances. I've seen excellent ones and I've seen some not so good ones, mind you they were bought second hand by mates so who knows what they had been through.
Never seen a lever-gun with a HEX barrel, plenty have OCTAGONAL barrels though. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 12 Dec 2018, 5:26 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Avoid the Rio-grande, it is the inbred, bastard child, Marlin clone. The copies of the '92 Winchesters are the better option. That said, they are a cheap gun, you take your chances. I've seen excellent ones and I've seen some not so good ones, mind you they were bought second hand by mates so who knows what they had been through.
Never seen a lever-gun with a HEX barrel, plenty have OCTAGONAL barrels though. :thumbsup:

:lol: :lol: :lol: my mistake , octagonal ;) the 44 mag i'm lookin' at has the model number 065 . that mean anything to anyone ? i know one thing, this is a good conversation topic . lot's of lever fans . i think i watched too many classic westerns when i was a kid . ahhh the good old days. a John Wayne, gary cooper, henry fonda western on a saturday arvo, the more violent clint eastwood spagetti westerns on a saturday night :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 12 Dec 2018, 5:29 pm

bigpete wrote:Go the blued rossi 44

sounds like you had a good run with the rossi BP. care too share any experiences ? :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 12 Dec 2018, 5:36 pm

Its accurate and just works !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 12 Dec 2018, 8:45 pm

anyone shed any light on opinions with browning B92 ? supposed to be the best '92 lever gun made according to some yank forums :unknown:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 12 Dec 2018, 9:33 pm

Another couple of advantages of the marlins are they are easily disassembled for cleaning from the breech. Especially for the dirtier pistol powders I appreciate this. Also aftermarket triggers are easy to get and install. Sorry just channeling my inner fanboy :D
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by browndog » 14 Dec 2018, 10:03 am

I have a rossi stainless 44 mag. I used it for a while and it smoothed up nicely. I then put in a gunslinger kit (springs etc) and it is great. I use cast 240gn semi wadcutters with no feeding issues. It flattens pigs and goats.
browndog
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 14 Dec 2018, 1:56 pm

bigrich wrote:anyone shed any light on opinions with browning B92 ? supposed to be the best '92 lever gun made according to some yank forums :unknown:

Like all replicas how can one be the best if the original was not? If they change the design to make it the best it's no longer a replica, surely?

I would think the best modern lever would use a rotating locking bolt, side-eject, detachable box magazine, and probably use a fixed trigger group.
I've never looked closely at those that have the trigger group fixed to the lever - do they work well?

Shooting the Henry the other day reminded me of some of the things I don't like about the tube mag design.
First, the inner tube is so easy to lose. I've had it drop out while walking, admittedly unloaded so very little tension locking it in, and also shot it down range while inserting it and having a fumble :-)
Second, making a loaded rifle safe, or changing to different ammunition is annoying. I much, much prefer to carry the loaded mag separately and make the rifle safe in a moment as required.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cracker » 14 Dec 2018, 3:07 pm

iv got an 1895 built 1892 winchester in 44-40 and they are pretty slick... not loads better then a 1975 built 1894 in 44-40/30-30 how ever.

think one of the new marlins in 357 mag would be fun as... seem like they are built quite wel, the japanese made winchester are really slick looking too... how ever i havent shot either.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 14 Dec 2018, 6:09 pm

i've come to a conclusion. i should just buy one of each :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 19 Dec 2018, 8:04 am

Just a heads up there's a new marlin 20" 1894cb 357 at Suffolk Sports which I just cancelled - took a couple of years to arrive and they only received the one.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles