which lever gun and pistol caliber

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: which lever gun and pistol caliber

Post by bigrich » 20 Dec 2018, 8:13 am

brett1868 wrote:
bigrich wrote:A hole of the north Brett ? could the name of that shop start with a “C” ? :lol:

Yes but the "C" really stands for C#^T :)

:lol: :lol: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 21 Dec 2018, 2:18 am

I have a soft spot for 45 calibers. My Uberti is a "73 clone in 45 Colt, I've got five handguns in 45 Colt too. Rember that the rim of the 45 Colt cartridge was there for headspacing and not extraction, I have had no extraction problems with afore mentioned Uberti. If I were to go out today to buy a combo today it would be a Marlin 1894 and Ruger Blackhawk/Super Blackhaw, bisley grip frame, if available in 44 Nagnum.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2018, 6:42 am

I keep hearing good things about Uberti GLS, I’ll see how my Rossi goes, I could always trade up. The Uberti seems very popular with cowboy shooting, and lots of accessories. At the moment I’m trying to resist the temptation to buy a ‘94 Winchester in 44 mag. It doesn’t have a real use, but I like my model 70 bolts and a lever would be a good addition to my collection
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 21 Dec 2018, 7:30 am

My mate bought the exact same thing. I believe he traded it on a rossi 92 because that was smoother....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2018, 7:59 am

bigpete wrote:My mate bought the exact same thing. I believe he traded it on a rossi 92 because that was smoother....

your a real rossi fan aren't you pete ? :) the budget really couldn't handle another purchase at the moment , doesn't stop me dreaming though. i got onto a fella who's in the cowboy shooting scene who knows people in the US who also does some importing. he reckons he might be able to get some stevez gunz products out here for me :D . this fella has a spring kit for rossi '92 , you had any experience with these pete ? or is yours fine just as is ?

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2018, 8:04 am

i'm not a marlin fan, but they've got a stainless/laminate 16 1/2 " barreled, large loop m94 coming out . one of those in 44 with a red dot wouldn't be a bad thing...... :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 21 Dec 2018, 8:22 am

No,I'm a fan of what works.
I've a rossi rio grande that I put in the same category as my old marlin
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 21 Dec 2018, 9:08 am

bigrich wrote:i'm not a marlin fan, but they've got a stainless/laminate 16 1/2 " barreled, large loop m94 coming out . one of those in 44 with a red dot wouldn't be a bad thing...... :D

That would make a sweet little hunting package. Just remember the Marlins are comparatively on the heavier side.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2018, 9:20 am

in2anity wrote:
bigrich wrote:i'm not a marlin fan, but they've got a stainless/laminate 16 1/2 " barreled, large loop m94 coming out . one of those in 44 with a red dot wouldn't be a bad thing...... :D

That would make a sweet little hunting package. Just remember the Marlins are comparatively on the heavier side.

The weight of marlins is a negative for me. I had a 336 30-30, with a scope on top it weighed about the same as a bolt gun. I traded it on a Winchester 94. Light weight and very “pointable”. It’s why I got a Rossi :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 9:35 am

bigrich wrote:The weight of marlins is a negative for me. I had a 336 30-30, with a scope on top it weighed about the same as a bolt gun. I traded it on a Winchester 94. Light weight and very “pointable”. It’s why I got a Rossi :thumbsup:

The 336 is only 80gms heavier than the Win 94 though? If you preferred iron sights on the Winchester why did you scope the Marlin?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2018, 10:38 am

The 94 win I had was a lot lighter than the marlin, more than 80 grams. I moved the 94 on because I can’t see well enough to shoot 30-30 out to its potential range. Just me, but I really didn’t want to mount a scope on a compact lever gun . Defeats the purpose of a light weight pointable gun. JMHO, I’m sure this subject can be argued six ways from Sunday, Pistol caliber out to 50-75 yard is a different story. I can be comfortable with that and open sights. In the last couple of years, I’ve bought and sold a few firearms, if something doesn’t “fit “ for me, or live up to expectations and usage, I’ll move it on . A lot of people have given me good advice, but I have to experience things first hand. It’s cost me some dollars , but first hand experience is worth it I reckon :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 1:50 pm

bigrich wrote:The 94 win I had was a lot lighter than the marlin, more than 80 grams. I moved the 94 on because I can’t see well enough to shoot 30-30 out to its potential range. Just me, but I really didn’t want to mount a scope on a compact lever gun . Defeats the purpose of a light weight pointable gun. JMHO, I’m sure this subject can be argued six ways from Sunday, Pistol caliber out to 50-75 yard is a different story. I can be comfortable with that and open sights. In the last couple of years, I’ve bought and sold a few firearms, if something doesn’t “fit “ for me, or live up to expectations and usage, I’ll move it on . A lot of people have given me good advice, but I have to experience things first hand. It’s cost me some dollars , but first hand experience is worth it I reckon :thumbsup:

Do you recall what the Winchester weighed?
I'm similar, I need to spend some time with a firearm to decide if I particularly enjoy it, but I'd be unlikely to sell it :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2018, 3:40 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:The 94 win I had was a lot lighter than the marlin, more than 80 grams. I moved the 94 on because I can’t see well enough to shoot 30-30 out to its potential range. Just me, but I really didn’t want to mount a scope on a compact lever gun . Defeats the purpose of a light weight pointable gun. JMHO, I’m sure this subject can be argued six ways from Sunday, Pistol caliber out to 50-75 yard is a different story. I can be comfortable with that and open sights. In the last couple of years, I’ve bought and sold a few firearms, if something doesn’t “fit “ for me, or live up to expectations and usage, I’ll move it on . A lot of people have given me good advice, but I have to experience things first hand. It’s cost me some dollars , but first hand experience is worth it I reckon :thumbsup:

Do you recall what the Winchester weighed?
I'm similar, I need to spend some time with a firearm to decide if I particularly enjoy it, but I'd be unlikely to sell it :-)

dunno what it weighed blade, it was definaitely lighter, but also slimmer, quicker to point and shoulder. and yes. i am kicking myself for selling it :roll: it was a 1974 model '94 that had hardly bin shot . instead of a 30-30 i have a sako A7 stainless synthetic in 308 to fill that void. i may put a 2-7x33 on it to fill the 30-30 role. 308 has a bit more authority but :) with medium height scope mounts, model 70 winchesters "fit" me well. polish the sears and they have a zero creep adjustable trigger which is great in it's simplicity. i shouldered a marlin '94 at the GS when looking through levers, and the length of pull was about 1" longer than the rossi which technichally is better. but, i like feel of the rossi, it's super quick to shoulder and the '92 style action feels solid. i forget where i read it, but the rossi '92 is supposed to be plenty strong :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 6:15 pm

bigrich wrote:dunno what it weighed blade, it was definaitely lighter, but also slimmer, quicker to point and shoulder. and yes. i am kicking myself for selling it :roll: it was a 1974 model '94 that had hardly bin shot . instead of a 30-30 i have a sako A7 stainless synthetic in 308 to fill that void. i may put a 2-7x33 on it to fill the 30-30 role. 308 has a bit more authority but :) with medium height scope mounts, model 70 winchesters "fit" me well. polish the sears and they have a zero creep adjustable trigger which is great in it's simplicity. i shouldered a marlin '94 at the GS when looking through levers, and the length of pull was about 1" longer than the rossi which technichally is better. but, i like feel of the rossi, it's super quick to shoulder and the '92 style action feels solid. i forget where i read it, but the rossi '92 is supposed to be plenty strong :drinks: :thumbsup:

I go against the norm in preferring a shorter length-of-pull myself.
I like the Rossi myself and hope to get some in the not too distant.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2018, 6:40 pm

i'm 195 cm tall, a LOP of 14" is good for me. shouldering a rossi sort of reminds me of when i was in my teens and mucking around with a daisy bb gun :lol:

:drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 21 Dec 2018, 8:39 pm

Yeah,I lengthened the stock on mine slightly
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia