Rossi 92 opinions and info wanted

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Rossi 92 opinions and info wanted

Post by mickb » 28 Apr 2019, 4:44 pm

I have a stainless 92 in 357 it's doing most of my shooting these days. The 92 is the strongest lever the yanks run over 50000psi in them with loads. They do like certain cartridge lengths but I must have got lucky mine has digested all the factory 357 and some 38sp I have tried. Mine had a Williams peep backup and I got a smith to put weaver rail and cheap red dot on it. Speed wise aka cowboy action shooting the consensus is it's slower than marlin, faster than win73 but of course the win73 cleans up everything if it has a short stroke kit installed. I like it being so slim and handy which is apparently why john Wayne preferred to use 92 actions as props. He won the west with a gun not invented yet lol
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Diamond Jim » 29 Apr 2019, 11:34 pm

I bought a .357 in early 1980s along with two mates. All three went back under warranty for excessive headspace - they were blowing the heads off cases. All three rebarrelled and the issue was fixed. Never had a single problem since.
Great fun to shoot with mild loads but factory ammo can be trying after a long session due to very light weight, short barrel and narrow steel but plate.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 30 Apr 2019, 4:45 am

I bought one that was light, accurate, and had a nice slick action that would feed any ammo. But the timber in the stock is a hardwood that can be prone to cracks, which after disassembly I found. That and the fact I can Aquire targets quicker with a scope is why I moved mine on for a new marlin 357. If you got the eyes for it the Rossi is a great gun . Cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 30 Apr 2019, 9:17 am

Am in the process of buying a second hand Rossi saddle ring carbine in 44-40. From what I've seen of it so far it is in VGC or better nick for a rifle that is about 10yr old. Has only fired cast loads which were dual purpose pistol/rifle for western action comp.
I own 4 Mod 92 Winchesters & the Rossi is on par for handling & a good trigger. The rear upper tang doesn't have the extra tapped hole for fitting a tang peep. But that's an easy fix.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by mickb » 26 May 2019, 1:43 am

One thing with the rossies is the fairly slow twists 1:30 if plinking cast. I found with subsonic heavy for calibre cast bullets they could be unstable. About 158 grains was about the best I could accurize. For cowboy shooting not a problem at the ranges and bullet weights they operate. Heavier bullets like 180 grain etc stabilise no problem once velocity is higher as the bullets RPM increases with it.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles