Rossi 92 opinions and info wanted

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Rossi 92 opinions and info wanted

Post by bigrich » 15 Dec 2018, 6:12 pm

ok fellas, i'm gunna be more specific now, i'm looking for opinions and knowledge on rossi lever guns. i think iv'e found what i want. it's a stainless " rossi 92" in 357. it doesn't have the safety on top, it has a half cock safety like a 1970's 94 winchester i had. it seems slick and in good condition, and has more stainless parts in it's guts than a new one i compared it to. the vertical locking lugs seem to close up tighter than in new ones as well. i bin told by ole mate in the gunshop it's one of the "good" early ones. i've got it put on hold until i can talk to the store owner on monday to try to negotiate a better price . most of you guys reckon ya rossi's were a good thing, one of ya's had a lemon . are there any things to look out for with this brand . thanks in advance :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Rossi 92 opinions and info wanted

Post by pomemax » 15 Dec 2018, 7:48 pm

Just you will shoot a lot more have fun no kick what so ever if your shooting 38 S out of it i put a Lyman, s peep sight on mine .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 15 Dec 2018, 8:41 pm

Only prob I had with mine was when riding a motorcycle in the bush over rough ground while the rifle was in a scabbard running down beside the front forks. I started with Sierra prigectiles that had a lot of soft lead exposed for the hollow point The soft lead was getting all smashed up due to vibration I changed to hornady xtp that have scored lead forming a nice protective cone over the hollow point. Problem solved. Not really a rifle problem more to do with the situation I was in Another thing about the Rossi being so incredible light is that you never feel the need to sling it over your shoulder after a while so no need to fit a sling it’s always up front ready and no annoying sling ever getting in the way
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 15 Dec 2018, 9:12 pm

Just buy it
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 16 Dec 2018, 6:29 am

bigpete wrote:Just buy it

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Dec 2018, 6:35 am

Blr243 wrote:Only prob I had with mine was when riding a motorcycle in the bush over rough ground while the rifle was in a scabbard running down beside the front forks. I started with Sierra prigectiles that had a lot of soft lead exposed for the hollow point The soft lead was getting all smashed up due to vibration I changed to hornady xtp that have scored lead forming a nice protective cone over the hollow point. Problem solved. Not really a rifle problem more to do with the situation I was in Another thing about the Rossi being so incredible light is that you never feel the need to sling it over your shoulder after a while so no need to fit a sling it’s always up front ready and no annoying sling ever getting in the way

the whole light, compact thing is what i liked about a 1975 '94 30-30 i had . you could just carry it all day. i can't focus open sights accurately or fast enough out past 100 so i sold it. i'm thinking pistol rounds out to 50 is much more do-able . i like the rossi rear sight better than a winchester. :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 16 Dec 2018, 3:18 pm

How tight is the action? It should lock up pretty tight when you close up the action...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 16 Dec 2018, 3:27 pm

the action on this older rossi seems to lock up firmer than some brand new ones i compared it too. one thing that struck me is the rossi's seem to have better triggers than marlins, the pull seems about the same as a mid 70's 94 win i had
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 16 Dec 2018, 3:48 pm

They do have better triggers,and sights too imo
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 16 Dec 2018, 4:18 pm

bigpete wrote:They do have better triggers,and sights too imo

yeh, i was pleasantly suprised at the triggers and sights. did you spend much time plinking with your 44 pete ? i'll probably do more plinking than hunting with the 357 i got a hold on. from research i've done, it appears with good projectiles and a hotter handload 357 can take all but the biggest baddest pigs in my part of the world. still wondering about 44 though :roll:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 16 Dec 2018, 4:45 pm

You’re right the factory marlin trigger is pretty horrid. I have an old but well preserved Winchester 1892 and the trigger is crisp enough, if a tad on the heavy side...
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 16 Dec 2018, 5:21 pm

Hmmm,I haven't shot it for a little while.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 16 Dec 2018, 5:40 pm

bigpete wrote:Hmmm,I haven't shot it for a little while.

might be time to clean out the cobwebs pete :D . i guess that is a advantage with 357 though, quite cheap to plink more often :D :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 16 Dec 2018, 5:54 pm

bigrich wrote:

might be time to clean out the cobwebs pete :D . i guess that is a advantage with 357 though, quite cheap to plink more often :D :drinks: :thumbsup:

You won’t regret buying a 357 - as much as the 44 might kick arse at stopping pigs, i found it to be a bit of a brute over long sessions at the range. I went down to 32 for this reason and haven’t looked back. FWIW the 357 is popular in PCCLAS circles.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 16 Dec 2018, 5:59 pm

The reloads I've been making work out to about 18c a shot. I haven't used it coz I haven't needed to
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 16 Dec 2018, 6:10 pm

in2anity wrote:
bigrich wrote:

You won’t regret buying a 357 - as much as the 44 might kick arse at stopping pigs, i found it to be a bit of a brute over long sessions at the range. I went down to 32 for this reason and haven’t looked back. FWIW the 357 is popular in PCCLAS circles.

yeh the 357 is more versatile in some ways over 44 mag. bit better for extended plinking at the range , mind you , i'm a big solid fella that thought 45-70 was fun :D was talking to my local RO as he has used 357 and 44 mag rossi on pigs . his experience was he downloaded the 44 to 180 gn projectiles and reduced the load cause he was just punching holes straight through with little or no expansion and they would just run off. from what i saw on nathan fosters site, the 357 158 and 180 hornady projectiles pushed fast do really significant wounding, within sensable range. i already handload for 222, 6.5x55 and 308. loading for a lever with pistol caliber and looking at hard cast boolits (elmer keith used these with great effect on big game apparently ), would be interesting. and probably frustrating when things don't go right :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Dec 2018, 6:12 pm

bigpete wrote:The reloads I've been making work out to about 18c a shot. I haven't used it coz I haven't needed to

awww mate, ya poor old rossi is probably feeling neglected :D :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 16 Dec 2018, 6:29 pm

Yeah I get my bullets from http://hrbc.com.au/product-list/ and would recommend.
Last edited by in2anity on 16 Dec 2018, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 16 Dec 2018, 6:35 pm

in2anity wrote:Yeah get my bullets from http://hrbc.com.au/product-list/ and would recommend.

thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 16 Dec 2018, 8:45 pm

I took a 44 mag marlin out once and I also had problems with the projectiles punching straight thru and not delivering energy to the pigs. So I went straight back to my Rossi 357 and imeedatly returned to better results
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Dec 2018, 9:44 pm

Blr243 wrote:I took a 44 mag marlin out once and I also had problems with the projectiles punching straight thru and not delivering energy to the pigs. So I went straight back to my Rossi 357 and imeedatly returned to better results

suppose it depends on where you hunt. i bin told pigs in the tropical north get a fair bit bigger and meaner than down south . can you recall what load you were shooting in the 357 ? i'm thinking 357 is more than enough for the QLD - NSW border reigion where i hunt . for that matter i've shot more goat than anything else. i usually can get close up in granite ridge country as well :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 17 Dec 2018, 6:45 am

Considering the amount of devastation I've seen factory 44 mag HP's do to fairly light game that I mainly hunt,I find that fairly hard to believe....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 17 Dec 2018, 8:35 am

bigrich wrote:
Blr243 wrote:I took a 44 mag marlin out once and I also had problems with the projectiles punching straight thru and not delivering energy to the pigs. So I went straight back to my Rossi 357 and imeedatly returned to better results

suppose it depends on where you hunt. i bin told pigs in the tropical north get a fair bit bigger and meaner than down south . can you recall what load you were shooting in the 357 ? i'm thinking 357 is more than enough for the QLD - NSW border reigion where i hunt . for that matter i've shot more goat than anything else. i usually can get close up in granite ridge country as well :drinks: :thumbsup:

Theres lots of stories about pigzilla getting around up here but that's about all they are..stories!
Around the 80kg is average and I reckon the biggest I've ever seen would have been around 100kg give or take a couple of kilos.
The predominant breed is the captain cooker or Polynesian black big which had evolved on the Pacific islands (cook brought them here back in 1770 ) where size is a hindrance when trying to move through tropical rainforest/scrub. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Although it is correct they can be very vicious little bqstards!! :lol: :drinks:

15449998372242055694755.jpg
Courtesy of a set of hooks!!
15449998372242055694755.jpg (710.07 KiB) Viewed 5255 times
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 17 Dec 2018, 9:41 am

bigpete wrote:Considering the amount of devastation I've seen factory 44 mag HP's do to fairly light game that I mainly hunt,I find that fairly hard to believe....

Old mate that I talked was originally using fast handloads, maybe wrong projectile for the job ? What factory ammo where you using BP ? As for the hogzilla’s in the north country, i’m Just going by what I was told. Pig size is a bit like a fishing story DB ? ;) . Suppose I should take everything with a grain of salt. From what I’ve found out so far from various opinions, 357 is acceptable so long as the right projectiles and load are used on pigs, and in general will suit my intended uses
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 17 Dec 2018, 9:43 am

Nice love bite ya got there too DB lol
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 17 Dec 2018, 9:50 am

Mainly American eagle 240gn HP's and sellier and bellot 240gn soft points
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 17 Dec 2018, 10:08 am

Yeah rich just like fishing stories!!! :D :drinks:
Although to be fair a 60kg pig can look like a 200kg pigzilla when it comes charging out of the scrub sqealin and snortin!!!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Dec 2018, 4:34 pm

I was useing the 357 at moonie. Black soil Melon hole country. Lots of limebush Can’t remember how I was loading the ammo
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Dec 2018, 4:34 pm

I was useing the 357 at moonie. Black soil Melon hole country. Lots of limebush Can’t remember how I was loading the ammo
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 17 Dec 2018, 4:53 pm

Daddybang wrote:Yeah rich just like fishing stories!!! :D :drinks:
Although to be fair a 60kg pig can look like a 200kg pigzilla when it comes charging out of the scrub sqealin and snortin!!!! :lol: :drinks:

quick ,call in a air strike , "pigzilla" is going to eat townsville :o :o :o

i bit the bullet, i went and put some money down on a S/S rossi '92 in 357 :D :D

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles